Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your Ideas For Action Horror DC Media

A thread to propose ideas for books and non-comics media (film, t.v., games etc) that are a mixture of action and horror. You can include who you would like to see involved in these projects.

DC has a LOT of properties that could lend themselves handily to arthouse horrors of darker fare, both normal and superhuman. Anything from Brubaker and Ricks at the street level qualify but especially GOTHAM CENTRAL. Then there is stuff like Chase and her organization. If they want to really be naughty and break a lot of rules there is stuff Body Doubles and Manhunter. The zero hour version of OUTSIDERS has easy horror adaptability all around. And if they want to do a Hannibal or Jokeresque departure there is the Cheetah (the Pre-Flashpoint version that had to eat people to stay healthy or whathaveyou.

Gorilla Grodd. Have him be a psycho Bigfoot type villain hiding in the national parks and kidnapping people and eating them. There you go.

I supposed you can do the same thing with King Shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    DC has a LOT of properties that could lend themselves handily to arthouse horrors of darker fare, both normal and superhuman. Anything from Brubaker and Ricks at the street level qualify but especially GOTHAM CENTRAL. Then there is stuff like Chase and her organization. If they want to really be naughty and break a lot of rules there is stuff Body Doubles and Manhunter. The zero hour version of OUTSIDERS has easy horror adaptability all around. And if they want to do a Hannibal or Jokeresque departure there is the Cheetah (the Pre-Flashpoint version that had to eat people to stay healthy or whathaveyou.
    As I'm not familiar with Chase and Body Doubles, what lends them towards horror?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Gorilla Grodd. Have him be a psycho Bigfoot type villain hiding in the national parks and kidnapping people and eating them. There you go.

I supposed you can do the same thing with King Shark.
    Where is the mix between action and horror here?

Sure! Cameron Chase i s an investigator for the Department of Extranormal Operations and is almost always knew deep in bizarre stuff. She explored the world of superheroes but from a removed viewpoint. Her boss had a translucent bone face. It would be very easy to convert her property into a sort of new take on The X-Files with a mix of straight horror, CSI, and horror arising from the unknown superhuman creepiness of the world (think Sylar from Heroes and how that imbued tension and horror).

The Body Doubles is a truly bizarre property. They are assassins with quirky backstories and have family that support them and work on jobs with them. I first fan into them in RESURRECTION MAN and they later had a 4 issue mini. You can tell dark, humorous stories with sprinkles of horror, adult situations (check out their mini--I am not typing that), and even sci-fi as the mini showed. They are bizarre and fun and I love 'em.

Hellenders

An animated series produced by Powerhouse Animation Studios. Focuses on a team of demon hunters.

Cast

Henrietta Jessup - A former cop who joins the fight against demons when she witnesses several people including her father being killed by them.

Paige Braverock - OC. Named after Eugene Braverock who played Chief in the Wonder Woman movie.

Sureshot

Shock Treatment - A half-human, half lightning demon woman.

Myst - An enenra.

Snow Owl

Lucia - A gargoyle. OC.

Miranda Shrieve
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-09-2020 at 01:50 AM.

We often see the "Life Forces" (the Red, the Green, The Rot, etc) through the lens of people who can control them to some extent. I would like to see a story where a non-elemental character has to death with these forces in a more abstract way. Like, imagine if someone like Bronze Tiger found himself trapped in a Forest of Limbs, a jungle or forest area that has become "infected" with The Red and mutates all everything into bizzare Junji Ito horrific abomination. undulating, squash, fleshy boney bitey bits all morphed and twisted everywhere, maybe it's set it Africa too, on a mission to find a missing Vixen (that could be a companion issue). like a survivalist horror-mystery where he has find out who or what is behind the infection and what happened to Vixen, while fighting to survive this surrealist African hellscape where quirky unsettling beast can appear out if nowhere or anywhere due to the Red's influence on everything from bacteria in the air or a vine on a tree, or an entire cave. Think PRIMAL meets Immortal Hulk, meet Black Leopard, Red Wolf with a little bit of Lovecraft Country for good measure.

real Man vs Nature stuff.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-09-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

JASON BLOOD: THE DEMON- Think Panos Cosmatos' MANDY, with a bit of HIGHLANDER mixed in.

Really gorgeous and high octane art house horror, with the action/adventure element of a man who's making the best out of his curse. Keep it faithful to Kirby's OG comic (in terms of supporting cast and set up, not story).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-09-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

DC had a lot of them from decades ago.

Scare Tactics, the monster rock band may not work in media these days.

There’s Scratch, DC’s teenage werewolf.

I, Vampire could work.

I think Traci 13 could work in an urban mystery horror setting. There were talks about making a pilot for TV.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 12-09-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Astonishing Member

I've always felt that Eobard Thawne is the perfect sci-fi horror villain.

Imagine, this demonic looking figure who moves faster than the speed of light, can pass through any wall, can kill you by vibrating his arm through you, and who can travel to the past and future to torment you all your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    DC had a lot of them from decades ago.

Scare Tactics, the monster rock band may not work in media these days.

There’s Scratch, DC’s teenage werewolf.

I, Vampire could work.

I think Traci 13 could work in an urban mystery horror setting. There were talks about making a pilot for TV.
    To be clear, do any of these qualify as action horror or just horror?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've always felt that Eobard Thawne is the perfect sci-fi horror villain.

Imagine, this demonic looking figure who moves faster than the speed of light, can pass through any wall, can kill you by vibrating his arm through you, and who can travel to the past and future to torment you all your life!
    Not quite what this thread is about.

There seems to be some confusion here. Action horror is referring to stuff like the Blade movies. Not horror in the sense of just dealing scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There seems to be some confusion here. Action horror is referring to stuff like the Blade movies. Not horror in the sense of just dealing scary stuff.
    We're talking the first two, right? Not that last one. ****shudder****

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    We're talking the first two, right? Not that last one. ****shudder****
    No, not like the third.