Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's the point of marvel buying malibu comics if they are not going to do anything with them?

What's the point of marvel buying crossgen comics if they are not going to do anything with them?

Marvel loves to waste money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    What's the point of marvel buying malibu comics if they are not going to do anything with them?

What's the point of marvel buying crossgen comics if they are not going to do anything with them?

Didn't they buy Malibu for their coloring technology?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    They’ve always claimed that’s not the case.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    They’ve always claimed that’s not the case.
    Could be correct. There are other explanation and is is as simpla as they don't want DC to buy Malibu:

HJ: Why would Marvel be worried about DC buying Malibu? If I remember right, wasn't it 1994 when Marvel bought out that distribution company ("Heroes World?") and tried to increase their grip on the industry? Were they, in fact, buying Malibu to shut it down?

TM: Nah - Marvel bought Malibu out of fear. DC had been negotiating to buy Malibu since April/May of 1994 when Paul Levitz approached Scott Rosenberg at Wondercon that year. Negotiations and due diligence were handled by a task force from the mergers and acquisitions unit of TimeWarner and continued throughout the summer. By the San Diego Con that year it was almost a done deal, but shortly after San Diego, Marvel found out about it (this was under the regime when Marvel was owned by Ron Perelman) and Marvel's Terry Stewart called Malibu publisher Dave Olbrich and asked what was going on. According to inside Marvel sources that we had, corporate Marvel was afraid that if DC bought Malibu and was able to grow the company even slightly, the combined DC-Malibu marketshare would be enough to drop Marvel to the #2 company. That was the fear that drove them.
    Source: http://filingcabinetofthedamned.blog...ull-story.html

Back on topic, I think Marvel get back Miracle... sorry, Marvelman to keep the copyright. Similar how they had a contract with Claremont but not let him write so he couldn't write to others companies.

On a minor detail: did anyone else noted than in the page of Marvel comics 1000, Miracle/Marvelman lacked of a symbol? Could be that mean something?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    On a minor detail: did anyone else noted than in the page of Marvel comics 1000, Miracle/Marvelman lacked of a symbol? Could be that mean something?
    I noticed it. I'd bet some of my own money it does mean something as the detail ijn this strip has been very important. However, I have no idea what it could mean. My best bet is Gaiman and Buckingham were chewing this out over some brews and decided it would be a way to get people talking about the rest of the story. But I am pulling this out of my ass, and have nothing better in the realm of speculation and absolutely nothing in the realm of fact.

Wasn;t there something in an earlier issue where Miracleman changed details of his costume with his mind?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Could be correct. There are other explanation and is is as simpla as they don't want DC to buy Malibu
    I think it's plausible that they bought Malibu so DC wouldn't buy them and then discovered that they had more generous royalty contracts and decided it was better to just not touch the characters.

Back on topic, I think Marvel get back Miracle... sorry, Marvelman to keep the copyright. Similar how they had a contract with Claremont but not let him write so he couldn't write to others companies.
    Technically, Claremont has an exclusive contract where he is on retainer with Marvel. It has the effect that he's often paid to not write, but he does still write things from time to time.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Spectacular Member

Could be correct. There are other explanation and is is as simpla as they don't want DC to buy Malibu:

Source: http://filingcabinetofthedamned.blog...ull-story.html

Claremont could leave Marvel if he wanted but then he would lose the salary he gets and would need to make money writing books that sell enough to keep going; if he doesn’t it’s because he doesn’t want to, I don’t think Marvel is worried Claremont could write for other companies, he actually left Marvel before, wrote for other companies with no success and got back to Marvel. He is lucky that he has the contract that he has compared to writers like Peter David and other from the same generation that need to ask money on the internet when they have unexpected medical or tax benefits and have to actually work to make a living (and keep current with readers taste and keep their style current, something that Claremont does not seem to know how to do), it’s not like Claremont is a victim or hostage of Marvel; sure, he whines that he has a lot of ideas and gets little work but except for the anniversary NM one shot with Sienkewicz his books do not sell so...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Honestly, I’d rather see Ultraverse characters integrated into the Marvel Universe. But that ain’t gonna happen... I have a feeling they were planning something with Miracleman, but ran into a possibly legal glitch that stalled it or halted it completely.
    Same. I do not see the passion behind Miracle Man but to each his own. My own would be to have the Ultraverse characters fully integrated like DC did years ago with the Charleston characters that today we all just say are DC characters decades down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

I forgot they had the Crossgen library of characters. Not that it matters I never fully explored that line when it was an indy publisher so I have no passion for it as yet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Miracleman...the subversive AF version of Shazam! Living an anathematized superhero world?

Please Bob No
    GrindrStone(D)

No idea. Maybe a one-shot will come out at some point.

are all the 80s era reprints in trade paperback by now?

what silver age reprints are there?