Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    this only works if Cebulski, Ewing and his editor were living in an alternate universe that was unaware of Pratt being in a church that advocates conversion therapy
    this only works if cebulski and the editors cared more than 30% of the time and a pretty smart guy like ewing was convinced he should make decisions about his own comic based on whether or not he can make indirect jabs at some movie star from another country, instead of just wanting his books to be lgbt, like almost all of his books, from multiple avengers titles to loki to hulk to ultimates to... guardians of the galaxy
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    not they didn't, marvel didn't say anything, ewing wasn't even explicit about it, it's only news because third parties ran articles about it
    Exactly. I've seen several people in multiple threads saying its just a news stunt, etc, but there has been no mainstream news coverage of it (unlike things like Northstar's wedding, Iceman coming out as gay, etc). Its just been comics news sites, and even they are just posting "articles" that basically glorified message board posts, recapping what happened in the issue. I have yet to see any article that's included any sort of comment from Ewing or Marvel about what this means, or what impact it may have on future issues, etc.

This isn't about headlines. This is about a story that the GOTG writer chose to tell, without any fanfare or hoopla, and which is still in progress. People should relax a bit and wait and see where the story goes before freaking out over it.

As for the Chris Pratt angle of it...there really isn't one. He is playing MCU Star-Lord, which is a different character from the comics Star-Lord. Even IF Star-Lord in the comics officially comes out as bisexual and starts dating men in the comics, there is NO reason to assume it will have any impact whatsoever on the plans that are already in-progress for the separate character who appears in the movies. In the comics, Drax was a human being. So was Mantis. The movie versions do not follow every single detail of the comics and never have. People are trying to manufacture drama when none exists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope this isn't the only reason because, frankly, it seems petty if it is.
    It's pretty dumb but I did get a good chuckle out of it lol. I never got any indication other than some vague rumors that Pratt was a homophobe anyway so turning the character bi seems shortsighted.

And in the same way I eat Chick-fil-A knowing full well what they think of gays, I have complete faith that Ewing will watch the next Guardians film with Pratt in it. So even if it was true that Pratt has a problem with the LGBT community, it's simply unnecessary to turn the character bi. But I guess we have some more empty representation for people on Twitter to be excited about for a few days.

Mighty Member

It seemed to have been done mainly to get the headlines in the newspapers. But basically, I don't care, the story was cool, if there hadn't been newspaper articles I don't think I would have paid more attention than that actually.

At the end of the day I really don't care just so long as Marvel doesn't decide to make this into his defining feature like they tend to do with outed characters (looking at you Iceman).
    if there was one thing I should be worried about it would be, at worst, this. I found the way Iceman has been treated after his forced outing extremely bad, as long as they don't make the same mistake with Starlord and define him from now on only from his sexuality, I don't see any worries.
    Last edited by lordozone; 12-17-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Now that Marvel made him as bisexual, what's your response and how will you feel about it?
    Dammit Kitty! You turned another one?!

Kidding!!!

Don't care.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Isn't this "male" an alien?

What does "male" even mean to an alien species?

I treat Peter like Kirk, he'll F anyone and anyBODY that is pretty.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    this only works if Cebulski, Ewing and his editor were living in an alternate universe that was unaware of Pratt being in a church that advocates conversion therapy
    I was totally unaware. Quite honestly, I never cared either way about Mr. Pratt does. Heck I read the book last week and the issue of bisexuality went completely over my head. The entire story is/was....weird. I would totally expect a writer down the road to retcon it as a dream/implanted memory/spiritual experience and not a real life. Why? Because it was just weird.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I was totally unaware. Quite honestly, I never cared either way about Mr. Pratt does. Heck I read the book last week and the issue of bisexuality went completely over my head. The entire story is/was....weird. I would totally expect a writer down the road to retcon it as a dream/implanted memory/spiritual experience and not a real life. Why? Because it was just weird.
    It doesn't need to be retconed IMO I have no issues with the story other than being told that there is no correlation between a corporation greenlighting such a development of an IP connected to an actor who is a congregant in this kind of church. I'm sure they were well aware of the optics and how the chips might fall (but in this case there is no chips falling because the development will have no consequence on Pratt or Quill)
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-17-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Ultimate Member

This is the same Star-Lord, that when first introduced in the 70's, was suggested to be in some sort of romantic relationship *with his ship?*

Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    This is the same Star-Lord, that when first introduced in the 70's, was suggested to be in some sort of romantic relationship *with his ship?*

Eh.
    Indeed it is. I had almost forgotten about that.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post

Kidding!!!

Don't care.
    Ironic Kitty and Peter Quill both of these heroes who died in the beginning of 2020, got resurrected or found on fall of 2020 and then become bisexual.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post

Kidding!!!

Don't care.
    I can't help but think of this only with Jones ranting about Kitty rather than frogs -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

No one talks about in the story, it seems Peter got the female alien pregnant, and named the baby “Rocky” after Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Makes sense to me. I would imagine that anyone who lives out in space and has experiencing dealing with aliens and other cultures would find him- or herself more open to dalliances that others may not prefer.

There's gotta be alien races that have completely different systems of gender and sexuality -- and Starlord's gonna bang 'em all!

-Pav, who isn't interested in Pratt's belief system beyond the basic tenets of "judge not" and "forgiveness is divine"...
    Pretty much.

We are talking about a character who went through puberty possibly having never gotten within a mile of a human woman, but I'm apparently supposed to have a potential issue with that this is a guy who might be bisexual?

Makes right around "Zero..." sense.

Can someone clarify something here.

I thought sexuality was something you were born with yet people are implying that Starlord's environment or Wolverine's length of life are supposed to change things.

It seems like it's gotta be one way or the other.