Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

It's really hard to have faith in Tini anymore....

I was so excited to have a female writer on Excalibur, and all the interviews she gives it seems she loves Betsy and have great ideas and knowledge about Excalibur lore.... but there is something in the way she wrote this book, specially the first 12 issues, where I just couldn't care for anything or anyone and I loved the idea of Betsy, Jubes, Rogue and Gambit together again in a team.

I hope she delivers us some good stories, but mostly I hope she takes time to develop the characters and their relationships. I'm glad X of Swords is over since this books was basically a build up to the event. I want to see what she's capable of without being worried with an event.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Ugh, so Rictor is now trash who brings shame to all gay men in the world. Thanks, Tini.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Ugh, so Rictor is now trash who brings shame to all gay men in the world. Thanks, Tini.
    Well I'm happy with my representation of gay men who foolish fall for unobtainable men!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Apocalypse didn't care about Avalon. His only interest in Otherworld was rescuing Arakko and his family, it was a means to an end.
    You're helping his cold war analogy.

I like how these characters had so little to do, there isn't even the faintest bit of a sub plot or anything to drive this book. Maybe somewhere we can find out just what A did to get Rictor to be so obsessed with him, since it happened off panel much like most of this book.

Tini is at least consistent in the fact that Rogue cannot do anything but worry about Betsy, even though Betsy could have gave two poops about Rogue when she was stuck in her flower coffin. Didn't she make fun of Remy at one point for worrying so much?

Spectacular Member

well I could sorta buy rictor caring about --|A|-- but not to the extent shown here. as already stated, he's basically helped him regain confidence in his powers, got him stronger and had shown concern when rictor was dying. I will also say jubilee should feel more awkward on this scene rather than being supportive/sad too, considering through the issues she's also been shown to have some fear/concern of --|A|-- doing things to shogo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    -gave his Grimoire, including all his studies on mutant magic and rituals, to Rictor
    -helped Rictor reach potential beyond the Externals
    -placed Braddocks back in charge of Avalon
    -helped reunite Krakoa with Arakko

Ooooooooooh, he’s so evil!
    -Grimoire has not been seen or heard about since and has amounted to nothing
    -Rictor has always been that powerful. He got nerfed specifically to make him vulnerable to psychologically manipulated by Apoc. And murdering the Externals for ritual sacrifice isn't a good thing
    -Jamie is a psychotic literal slave trader
    -word is still out on if that's even a good thing. Dragged everyone else into a war they didn't want, endangered the entire planet and Rockslide killed, Gorgan warped and Betsy dashed to pieces.

Most of his 'relationship' with Rictor was offscreen and a big example of telling instead of showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    Tini is at least consistent in the fact that Rogue cannot do anything but worry about Betsy, even though Betsy could have gave two poops about Rogue when she was stuck in her flower coffin. Didn't she make fun of Remy at one point for worrying so much?
    When Poochy isn't on screen, everyone else should say "Where is Poochy?"
    Last edited by pkingdom; 12-17-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's been 16...sixteen...issues and I am absolutely certain every single one of those moaning and griping over just how gawd-awful bad Excalibur is will still be here doing the same when this title reaches issue #32.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Psylocke and Sinster’s working relationship is more feels than Rictor and Apocalypse. I believe that there is a quid pro quo relationship because he can eventually bring her daughter back. And really we only caught a very small glimpse of that compared to the 13 issues we had with Rictor and A. That’s storytelling when even a page or maybe two can tell you a lot about a relationship and what’s happening. We don’t even know what happened between Ric and A except he gave him a pep talk? Maybe? I know more and understand the dynamics of the lunatics in Hellions in less than half the time. Their mission is still to do some dirty shit and no one cares if they get killed because they are not “acting on behalf of Krakoa” really.

No real relationships to each other has been explored between people that have been through a lot together. Shogo was there because they needed a dragon. Jubilee is the protective mom. Rogue and Gambit are there. Rictor was there to just get apocalypse what he needed. I still don’t know what Betsy was there for. She’s not the same character as she grew into.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's been 16...sixteen...issues and I am absolutely certain every single one of those moaning and griping over just how gawd-awful bad Excalibur is will still be here doing the same when this title reaches issue #32.
    And? Some people buy books just as much for the characters. I have a lot of my favorite characters on this title. We shouldn’t I be interested in their exploits? Just because you think everything is great in this book doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t voice our opinion.

You can Stan all you want but Tini is not a great writer when it comes to this book.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Uh, what's so offensive about a scene of a couple doing domestic activities?
    I never said it was offensive. If it sounded like I was commenting on gender roles, I apologize. I am all for ALL MEN stepping aside and letting women have their turn.

What I am saying is that it's pretty ridiculous because it sticks out like a sore thumb. To me, the hairbrushing was hilariously troll-ish, so the fact that Tini is still going with it is pretty out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Well I'm happy with my representation of gay men who foolish fall for unobtainable men!
    I'm the same, maybe that's why I hate it so much

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Also Rogue might as well be saying “I wasted 15 issues doing magical stuff that had nothing to do with me.”
    I seriously thought Rogue was getting ready to say "what was the point?" and I was going to laugh for a couple minutes at the self-own.

All i'll say is the way Tini talks about Excalibur in interviews is awesome. They way she talks about Betsy is awesome. BUT what she says and what she actually writes just is not translation onto the page at all. The execution is just not there.

Hopefully now that Betsy and Apoc are MIA she can actually give Gambit and Rogue something to do because honestly they are just shoe horned into this title and just doesn't make sense.

Also Krakoa allowed them to build a normal looking house on Krakoa? I don't how them, Shaw, and Emma have places that look regular. But I supposed Krakoa can build mutants anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    And? Some people buy books just as much for the characters. I have a lot of my favorite characters on this title. We shouldn’t I be interested in their exploits? Just because you think everything is great in this book doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t voice our opinion.

You can Stan all you want but Tini is not a great writer when it comes to this book.
    You really shouldnt buy a book you don't like though. Just read your friends copy. The one that seems to be in love with it like some of the people here. You get to continue to see your two favorite females Rogue and Betsy do absolutely the most exciting things in the whole world.