Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default I utterly hated that they killed...

Comics, movies, etc.

For me? Still butthurt over Tripp.

916abd3701df002a8501642273675e0a.jpg

Gwen (10 chars)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I guess some kind of ghost version eventually shows up in the comics seasons that followed, but have always felt that Anya's death at the end of Buffy was just petty and pointless. No other regular character was ever killed off in such an offhand manner, with just a couple of casual lines of dialogue acknowledging their death. I mean, understood you didn't want the very last scene of the show to be some heavy and depressing moment of mourning, but in that case, don't kill off a main character immediately before.

Plot armor protected everybody else, as you would expect; I'd read somewhere that the actress who portrayed Anya had been the only one who'd said she absolutely would not be interested in any movie or anything else that might follow the end of the series, so always thought that's why her character was the only one who died. Like I said, petty.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Wash

10 char
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Chuck Cunningham.

Huh? They didn't???

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Wash

10 char
    Yeah, that sucked. It was kind of Fortunes of War tho.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Chuck Cunningham.

Huh? They didn't???
    Seriously deep pull.

BANNED

Very recent and not a show I particularly liked, but on Amazon Prime's version of "Utopia" (haven't seen original version) they kill a core cast member very early on in the show, for possibly the worst reason I've ever seen anyone killed on any show. Worse, it's done by one of the other core cast members (both protagonists we're supposed to be rooting for, I guess). It completely took me out of the show. For episodes after the group is still in the house, still walking over/around the body of one of their friends (while interacting with their killer), talking and planning and at times even joking/flirting. And the whole time I'm thinking "How is this not all you're talking about right now?" There are some moments of the series that are fun (mostly the weird/culty characters from the "evil" organization), but that one moment was just so stupid and distracting it was hard to really focus on the rest of the story or root in any way for any of the main group. They canceled the show since, so perhaps I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Good cast, has conspiracies and a pandemic and comic books drive the plot. Should be up my alley hard. But dang, poor execution (no pun intended).

Grant Douglas Ward in Agents of Shield.

More than his death — and the TV show interested me less afterwards, what irritates me is the way writers blacken the character to justify to kill him. From an interesting character, he became a caricatural baddie.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Simon Williams/Wonder Man from Force Works (1994) #1

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-18-2020 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Simon Williams/Wonder Man from Force Works (1994) #1
    Comic characters are rarely forever dead…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Yeah, there are a lot of bad deaths in comics. But I know it'll be over eventually, so I'm never really mad. More annoyed when they take too long coming back (Illyana, for example).

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I am still sad that Beautiful Dreamer in The Gifted had to die. More sad the whole series died now as Fox no longer does make it.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Charlie Sheen's character from Two and a Half Men. I think Charlie went nuts after finding out he tested HIV+.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I guess some kind of ghost version eventually shows up in the comics seasons that followed, but have always felt that Anya's death at the end of Buffy was just petty and pointless. No other regular character was ever killed off in such an offhand manner, with just a couple of casual lines of dialogue acknowledging their death. I mean, understood you didn't want the very last scene of the show to be some heavy and depressing moment of mourning, but in that case, don't kill off a main character immediately before.

Plot armor protected everybody else, as you would expect; I'd read somewhere that the actress who portrayed Anya had been the only one who'd said she absolutely would not be interested in any movie or anything else that might follow the end of the series, so always thought that's why her character was the only one who died. Like I said, petty.
    I agree. I'd read two interpretations of Anya's death by Emma Caufield. One had her disliking the offhand death, but another had her saying that it 'fit' the character in that it was as abrupt as she was. I also was upset at Tara Maclay's death. I get why it happened and all, but wish they'd been able to bring her back somehow.