Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default MCU questions and thoughts...

1. So, I noticed a little continuity goof in Hulk 2008 IM 1 and IM 2. The teaser at the end of Hulk shows Tony trying to recruit Bruce to the Avengers, as they're attempting to start up. But in IM 2, Tony is shown telling Nick Fury that he didn't want to join his "little boys club." So, why is he trying to recruit Bruce when he refused after the IM 1 teaser at the end?

2. Hulk has been a little bit of a mess in the MCU. 2003 Ang Lee Hulk was standalone but 2008 Hulk is somehow a sequel to 2003 Hulk even though 2003 Hulk is in no way shape or form connected to the MCU. But yet the opening of 2008 Hulk, if I'd never seen 2003 Hulk, I'd be a little confused as to why Bruce is in Brazil. They should have treated it as a brand new origin instead of a quasi sequel. Plus from 2003-2012, you have three different actors playing Bruce. He should have a standalone film. It's about time.

3. Based on the Marvel Studios trailers for the Loki What If and Falcon and Winter Soldier I'm really excited about the future of the MCU and where we go from here. It really is a shame that COVID put the brakes on the momentum with the Black Widow and Eternals movies. I hope they make bank back as, a long delay could hurt the box office hopes. I wonder how Chadwick Boseman's death affected the MCU future. It seems like we were building up to BP being the leader of the Avengers team going forward, now it's anyone's guess. And I'm sure Marvel is trying to figure out who will be the team leader. Plus it seems Chadwick is voicing in the What If series, which makes the transition to a new continuity a little awkward.

For #2 I think Norton wasn’t interested in redoing the origin. Plus I think the 2003 movie wasn't well recieved so maybe they wanted to avoid repeating its mistakes. I didn't have a real problem with understanding Norton's Hulk. I don't think it's meant to be a sequel to 03 but I always just saw 08 hulk as its own thing.

For #1 I guess Tony got cold feet after talking to Ross. Or just was more focused on bringing Bruce in than joining the avengers.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-18-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    1. So, I noticed a little continuity goof in Hulk 2008 IM 1 and IM 2. The teaser at the end of Hulk shows Tony trying to recruit Bruce to the Avengers, as they're attempting to start up. But in IM 2, Tony is shown telling Nick Fury that he didn't want to join his "little boys club." So, why is he trying to recruit Bruce when he refused after the IM 1 teaser at the end?
    The "Consultant" short explains all this.

2. Hulk has been a little bit of a mess in the MCU. 2003 Ang Lee Hulk was standalone but 2008 Hulk is somehow a sequel to 2003 Hulk even though 2003 Hulk is in no way shape or form connected to the MCU. But yet the opening of 2008 Hulk, if I'd never seen 2003 Hulk, I'd be a little confused as to why Bruce is in Brazil. They should have treated it as a brand new origin instead of a quasi sequel. Plus from 2003-2012, you have three different actors playing Bruce. He should have a standalone film. It's about time.
    The MCU Hulk movie is not a sequel to the Ang Lee movie. As far as why there hasn't been a solo movie, my understanding is that there's some complicated rights issues.

3. Based on the Marvel Studios trailers for the Loki What If and Falcon and Winter Soldier I'm really excited about the future of the MCU and where we go from here. It really is a shame that COVID put the brakes on the momentum with the Black Widow and Eternals movies. I hope they make bank back as, a long delay could hurt the box office hopes. I wonder how Chadwick Boseman's death affected the MCU future. It seems like we were building up to BP being the leader of the Avengers team going forward, now it's anyone's guess. And I'm sure Marvel is trying to figure out who will be the team leader. Plus it seems Chadwick is voicing in the What If series, which makes the transition to a new continuity a little awkward.
    We'll see what the future holds.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

And since we're getting Jane Foster Thor in Thor: Love and Thunder, and Odinson joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I guess we can surmise that we will have two Thors running around the MCU?

Mighty Member

Default MCU and tv shows

So, not talking about the upcoming shows, they are definitely connected to the MCU films. But when it comes to the other shows, the only one that really has connections to the movies is Agents of Shield? The other ones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage etc, just give easter eggs(references to various MCU characters.). That is, they're part of the MCU because they are Marvel characters, but not referenced at all in the films

And since we're getting Jane Foster Thor in Thor: Love and Thunder, and Odinson joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I guess we can surmise that we will have two Thors running around the MCU?
    Possibly but I rather Jane get her own identity. I actually prefer her time as Valkyrie than her time as Thor.

So, not talking about the upcoming shows, they are definitely connected to the MCU films. But when it comes to the other shows, the only one that really has connections to the movies is Agents of Shield? The other ones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage etc, just give easter eggs(references to various MCU characters.). That is, they're part of the MCU because they are Marvel characters, but not referenced at all in the films
    Technically they were but because of the separation of studios it became harder to coordinate between the two divisions.

I would've just settled for crossovers between various shows. Having Colson pop up to arrest Luke Cage would've been epic.

I lost interest in the MCU in phase 2. So the whole interconnected universe is a cool gimmick but not a excuse for a good story. I prefer Daredevil to Agent of Shield because Daredevil could keep your attention. With Coulson I always just waiting for someone to come in and take over.

I wish they were kept canon but if Fiege choose to start fresh I'd respect it. Daredevil is still my favorite superhero show and being canon or not doesn't affect that.

Maybe but I think it's more Likely Portman does a one and done. Also i don't think Thor is gonna be a member in GOTG vol 3. The Guardians will make an appearance in Thor 4 though.

Incredible Member

I don't overthink too much over it, to me the post-credit in Incredible Hulk felt like a last minute thing as a treat for fans.

Mighty Member

Default does anyone think that...

the delay because of the pandemic as far as MCU content goes, worked out better in the long run? 2020, Black Widow was to be dropping in May followed by the Eternals this past November. Because, I think WV and the other shows weren't gonna drop till this year anyway, right? Now, you get MCU content spread across the entire year. I think it's a good strategy. Not sure how 2022 will work, but that would be cool to have content to bridge the gap between movies. And I think if they have movies made specifically for Disney + that tie into the larger MCU would be good too.

BANNED

the delay because of the pandemic as far as MCU content goes, worked out better in the long run? 2020, Black Widow was to be dropping in May followed by the Eternals this past November. Because, I think WV and the other shows weren't gonna drop till this year anyway, right? Now, you get MCU content spread across the entire year. I think it's a good strategy. Not sure how 2022 will work, but that would be cool to have content to bridge the gap between movies. And I think if they have movies made specifically for Disney + that tie into the larger MCU would be good too.
    My inclination is to say that it's never OK to have an unexpected break in a successful franchise, particularly this long and for this reason. Marvel moviess are pretty impeccably scheduled to maintain a cadence, and the story across fillms is adjusted for that cadence. That's been shattered now. We'l have to wait to see whether this turns out to be positive or not. Personally I think BW was going to set up something very significant in the MCU in terms of Phase 4, and I'm uncertain how or if that will work now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    My inclination is to say that it's never OK to have an unexpected break in a successful franchise, particularly this long and for this reason. Marvel moviess are pretty impeccably scheduled to maintain a cadence, and the story across fillms is adjusted for that cadence. That's been shattered now. We'l have to wait to see whether this turns out to be positive or not. Personally I think BW was going to set up something very significant in the MCU in terms of Phase 4, and I'm uncertain how or if that will work now.
    Well, all I can say is as far as the break goes, we had a 2 year break from 2008-2010 when The Incredible Hulk came out. But yeah, I get it, that wasn't during COVID. I'm sure we'll still get to see if BW sets up something in Phase 4. Personally, I think it's a one off (Here's what has happening to Natasha after Cap Civil War and before Endgame). As far as their upcoming slate, I don't think the pandemic was going to change what they had planned for Phase 4 and extra content. The only thing that changed was the timing.
    Last edited by CTTT; 01-03-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    For #2 I think Norton wasn’t interested in redoing the origin. Plus I think the 2003 movie wasn't well recieved so maybe they wanted to avoid repeating its mistakes. I didn't have a real problem with understanding Norton's Hulk. I don't think it's meant to be a sequel to 03 but I always just saw 08 hulk as its own thing.

For #1 I guess Tony got cold feet after talking to Ross. Or just was more focused on bringing Bruce in than joining the avengers.
    My understanding is that Norton made it clear he was only doing the one movie but he was a big enough name they did it anyway or they may have thought it was the typical thing where "I'm only doing one" really means "You're really going to have to jack up my paycheck to get me to do another one".

Yes, not a sequel. The main reason they recast General Ross, even though they wanted to keep Sam Elliott, was because keeping him would create confusion as to whether this was a sequel.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My understanding is that Norton made it clear he was only doing the one movie but he was a big enough name they did it anyway or they may have thought it was the typical thing where "I'm only doing one" really means "You're really going to have to jack up my paycheck to get me to do another one".

Yes, not a sequel. The main reason they recast General Ross, even though they wanted to keep Sam Elliott, was because keeping him would create confusion as to whether this was a sequel.
    1. That's the first I'd heard that Edward Norton was only doing the one movie. That would make a lot more sense why he was replaced by Mark Ruffalo. The thing that's confusing though is at the time, both Marvel and Norton should have known where they stood. Marvel should have known what his work ethic was like. It's not like it was a big secret at the time. He'd already been known then how difficult he could be to work with. I'm kind of surprised they felt blindsided by how much control he wanted. They probably would have passed on them based on that alone, and yet still hired him. On Norton's side, I'm sure he knew how big this movie was that they had initial plans for a connected universe at the time, that there was potential for future Avengers movies. I think he messed up wanting things his way and should have given in a little more and try to be a team player. Then we might still be seeing him as the Hulk today.

2. Yeah, I loved Sam Elliot as Ross, but I really like they went with William Hurt. He was a very good second choice.

Mighty Member

Default MCU and Sony Spider-verse confusion...

Ok, so Tom Holland's Spider-Man exists in the MCU. So, apparently, in SM 3, there's going to be appearances by Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Alfred Molina's Doc Ock and Jamie Foxx's Electro which is fine. But then with Sony, you have Venom, which in the next movie will have Carnage. Then, to further complicate things, Michael Keaton's Vulture appears in Morbius, also distributed by Sony, but Vulture appeared in Homecoming which is in the MCU. Then apparently, there's talk of Vulture recruiting Electro, Doc Ock, Carnage, Morbius and Carnage for the Sinister Six which might then lead to Maximum Carnage which Tom Holland's Spidey is going to appear. So, all of this to say that Tom Holland Spidey is going to exist in the MCU and the Sony Spider-verse? What a confusing knot of a mess. I would say for less complication let the Sinister Six take on Venom. Spidey should belong in the MCU. I wonder how Sony and Marvel can work this out.

Ok, so Tom Holland's Spider-Man exists in the MCU. So, apparently, in SM 3, there's going to be appearances by Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Alfred Molina's Doc Ock and Jamie Foxx's Electro which is fine. But then with Sony, you have Venom, which in the next movie will have Carnage. Then, to further complicate things, Michael Keaton's Vulture appears in Morbius, also distributed by Sony, but Vulture appeared in Homecoming which is in the MCU. Then apparently, there's talk of Vulture recruiting Electro, Doc Ock, Carnage, Morbius and Carnage for the Sinister Six which might then lead to Maximum Carnage which Tom Holland's Spidey is going to appear. So, all of this to say that Tom Holland Spidey is going to exist in the MCU and the Sony Spider-verse? What a confusing knot of a mess. I would say for less complication let the Sinister Six take on Venom. Spidey should belong in the MCU. I wonder how Sony and Marvel can work this out.
    I predict by releasing a turkey with too many plot threads and villains, and then Sony will reboot again (not saying the upcoming Spider-Man will necessarily be that turkey).