Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Wonder Woman's new role post-Death Metal

Solicits leaked early: http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...18&postcount=1

Written by SCOTT SNYDER, GEOFF JOHNS, JAMES TYNION IV, JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, GEOFFREY THORNE, PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON, BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS, BECKY CLOONAN, MICHAEL W. CONRAD, JO‹LLE JONES, and TIM SHERIDAN
    Art by JOHN TIMMS, HOWARD PORTER, JO‹LLE JONES, JORGE JIMENEZ, ALITHA MARTINZEZ, DAVID MARQUEZ, STEPHEN BYRNE, JAMAL IGLE, DEXTER SOY, RAFA SANDOVAL, ALEX MALEEV, JOHN ROMITA JR., and others
    Wraparound cover by DAN JURGENS and MIKEL JANÍN
    Card stock variant cover by JOHN TIMMS

The next phase of the DC Universe begins here! Dark Knights: Death Metal presented the darkest threats of the Multiverse. DC Future State revealed what may lie ahead. Now it's time to look into the Infinite Frontier of the current-day DC Universe.
    In Gotham City, The Joker jolts citizens awake with an attack even the Dark Knight never expected. In Brazil, a young woman discovers her destiny and her connection to the Amazons. In Belle Reve, Amanda Waller plots an invasion of Arkham Asylum. In the far reaches of space, Mongul dreams of galactic domination, while the Green Lantern Corps hosts a summit of its greatest enemies. At the Hall of Justice, the League joins forces with Black Adam. Beyond the mortal world, Wonder Woman settles into a new role in the godsphere. And somewhere in the DC Universe--it's the return of Stargirl, in an all-new tale written by Geoff Johns.

64 pages, $5.99, (variant, $6.99), available on March 2.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-18-2020 at 09:05 AM.

So DC's big start to Diana's 80th is to have her presumably killed off in Death Metal.

Very on brand of DC there.

Though consider me interested in what's going on with her and the Spectre.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure "killed off" is the right term - presumably the "godsphere" is the sphere of the gods from the Multiversity map which consists of:

Dream
    Heaven
    New Genesis
    Skyland
    Nightmare
    Hell
    Apokolips
    Underworld

So she's like a higher cosmic power now or something.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-18-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

THR: 'Infinite Frontier' Launches Next Era of the DC Universe
    The mastermind behind the issue is former Flash writer Joshua Williamson, who talked to THR about just whats in store for Superman, Batman, and the rest of the DCU following the current Dark Nights: Death Metal series and the upcoming DC Future State publishing event.
    As we're talking, a retailer mailing that's been shared publicly has let people know that there's something coming called Infinite Frontier, but no-one knows what it actually is yet. What should people should expect from Infinite Frontier?

Its kickstarting all the stuff that we're doing in the DC Universe next year. You know, we have Dark Nights: Death Metal, and then we have Future State, and then spinning out of all of that is Infinite Frontier No. 0. It's a one-shot special, that is going to feature different creative teams, showcasing what we're going to be doing, and giving teases.

There's a framing device I'm working on, starring Wonder Woman and the Spectre, and we get to see sort of this sneak peek glimpse of what's happening, and we get to play around with these big toys and have some fun, getting a good lead-in to 2021 for DC and beyond.
    Can you talk about the stories that are in the issue? You mentioned a framing device featuring Wonder Woman and the Spectre

The thing we're doing with Wonder Woman and the Spectre, that's written by me, Scott and James was drawn by John Timms, and that pretty much immediately picks up some of the pieces from Death Metal, and it lets us move that ball forward a little bit and show kind of what's going on with Wonder Woman and certain parts of the DCU. They act as our POV characters, they act as our witnesses, to this new DCU I say "new DCU," but it's the same DCU fans love, it's just time to move and to do like this next stage.
    And then I'm writing the epilogue for the story, with art by John Romita Jr. and that epilogue will be a big piece of showing some of the stuff is going to be coming for DC in 2021. We wanted to do something that said, "here's what's coming immediately," but also gives you teases of stuff that's gonna be coming throughout the year in 2021 and into 2022, to show people that we have this plan, we have this story we want to tell.

Incredible Member

So Diana's being promoted to goddesshood on a multiversal level this time? I guess that explains why Hippolyta is on the league and she's in Vahalla in her solo. I don't think this will last too long (a year, maybe two tops). Maybe we'll have a big event for her 80'th anniversary this year about her return to mortality?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

This is the most exciting thing DC has done for Diana in YEARS! Finally she gets a new playing field while also developing her mythos.

Exciting times for Diana. (Even if I wanted to see more of her in JLD, maybe once she comes back?) And is that Nubia next to/under Black Adam?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Exciting times for Diana. (Even if I wanted to see more of her in JLD, maybe once she comes back?) And is that Nubia next to/under Black Adam?
    Yes, there will be a Nubia story in this one-shot.

I'm guessing Diana's temporary disappearance will allow people like Hippolyta, Nubia, and Yara to step out. Techinally a story that's been done before but hopefully it's handled better here.

I wonder what permanent changes this could bring she she comes back

So Diana's dead? Don't really know how I'm feeling this. This whole thing is starting to feel like they never actually killed off 5G, rather just made their own spin of it. I'm concerned now that legacy **** is still planning to take over the line.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    This is the most exciting thing DC has done for Diana in YEARS! Finally she gets a new playing field while also developing her mythos.
    Really? It seems deadly dull to me. Mind you, I don't like the heavy mythology or focus on the gods anyway, and she's already been a goddess once, and I found that dull then. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Nice for the fans who like it. Good for DC if it works. But phenomenally popular doesn't mean I have to read or like it (see Batgod, of a different sort, admittedly).

I’m curious to see where this is going, but I am miffed to see Diana killed off right as her anniversary is coming around and she’s got a movie out. Still a good story is a good story, and I haven’t been a fan of her modern day status quo in her ongoing, so why not shake things up a bit?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That new design is....ugly imo. Not sure what I think of her new role, if they are able to craft a good story ill be good with it. Whatever it is, I just want it to have some impact and while it likely wont happen...when Diana returns to the realm of the living it'd be nice if she came back to a changed one where the Wonders are more grown and something she has a hard time re-adapting to.

What also explains Hippolyta, as well as Black Adam and Naomi, being on the Justice League is the upcoming BLACK ADAM, and THE AMAZONS films, and the NAOMI tv series.

This new DC is all about brand awareness and brand synergy.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I mean, it sounds vaguely interesting but I'd rather read more about normal Wonder Woman going on well-written adventures, but I'm not sure if this Godsphere status quo is going to last long.