Default Should DC make Future State a bi annual event

A lot of people were worried about 5G when the rumors started up. I personally loved the hearing that DC was finally gonna let characters age. When Future State was announced I became disappointed but the more I hear about it the better it sounds.

It's basically a test tube for possible massive changes, where they can afford to take risjs and makes big changes and then see how fans react. If they did this every two years, flash forward and show different futures then we could finally have a healthy environment for experimentation. Things like Jon Kent being born could've been done much sooner, and aging up Jon Kent maybe wouldn't have been done so soon.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

No. Stories are written for trade, meaning each run gets about two complete stories a year. This would reduce even that. If Future State and its narratives become their own line of comics, absolutely that rules.

But putting the brakes on an already very slow method of content delivery compared to other entertainment industries just seems like asking for pain.

Ok I can understand that. But the timetable can be moved around. If two years is too close then maybe three years. The point is that these issues will always stand outside of the current narrative, so there isn't any reason for them to reduce the over all number of issues of a single writer. And I really think being able to test ideas that could then be brought to the canon is something really powerful that probably outranks the disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No. Stories are written for trade, meaning each run gets about two complete stories a year. This would reduce even that. If Future State and its narratives become their own line of comics, absolutely that rules.

But putting the brakes on an already very slow method of content delivery compared to other entertainment industries just seems like asking for pain.
    Agree 100%

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No. Annoying. Yes, some of them like Tim Fox and Yara are good, but the general tone of Future State is dark, with Gotham in Martial State, Titans destroyed, and the Flash family having a war with evil Wally West.

Continue Tim and Yara, and other good ones in a mini or maxi-series if you like, but I'm DONE with the bleak future.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No. Annoying. Yes, some of them like Tim and Yara are good, but the general tone of Future State is dark, with Gotham in Martial State, Titans destroyed, and the Flash family having a war with evil Wally West.

Continue Tim, and Yara, and other good ones in a mini or maxi-series if they like, but I'm DONE with the bleak future.
    How do you know that? wait to read it before making such rash conclusions, could be as you say, but it could be quite different also.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    How do you know that? wait to read it before making such rash conclusions, could be as you say, but it could be quite different also.
    The solicits, which is the ad, and if they want me to read it, they should make a better ad

I'd revive the most popular titles and concepts as a digital first Future State line of a few rotating weekly books.
    So FS Wonder Woman could be followed by FS Next Batman and so on. Always one book at a time to keep the line focused and mantain the weekly schedule, which is a must for digital comics.

No. Annoying. Yes, some of them like Tim Fox and Yara are good, but the general tone of Future State is dark, with Gotham in Martial State, Titans destroyed, and the Flash family having a war with evil Wally West.

Continue Tim and Yara, and other good ones in a mini or maxi-series if you like, but I'm DONE with the bleak future.
    I wasn't talking about showing us the Future State universe, I meant jumping a few years in the future and showing us the results of certain ideas. Like what if DC has some major status quo changes they are thinking of doing but they don't know how people will react to them, so they do this event about the world 10 years in the future to test these ideas.

Imagine that Jason Aaron wants to come to DC comics and write a Batman story where Gotham has started handing out capital punishment for certain long time villains, like Joker and Bane, putting them through court and then executed them. Other imitators have risen up since then but now Batman finds himself in the strange position of trying to defend these villains because he doesn't think they should be executed. Most fans might hate this idea or maybe they love it. But the only way DC can be sure that they aren't making a mistake by giving famous writers the power to make such huge changes is by trying them out in an event like Future State.

Every 3 years we see a new reality of what the current writers on each title wanna do with the books. These stories could either be abandoned if they fail, or be adapted into the mainstream universe if they work out.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.

The solicits, which is the ad, and if they want me to read it, they should make a better ad
    you can't rash to conclusions on books based on solicits. From experience what solicits say and from what books turn to be, there is a big difference. Its done on purpose at times it attracts fans on others it pushes them away. Just as covers can deceive you in thinking a book is great. Never judge a book by its cover, same applies to solicits.

Astonishing Member

Future State is a 2-month filler prior to the March re-launch, in the same way as was Convergence. There was no point in making Convergence be a recurring publication event, and the same holds for FS. It's a one and done deal. If they decide to have some sort of Green Lantern 100000 AD series, or whatever, then they can publish that title as a stand-alone outside-of-continuity series any time that they want to do so.

Is it really filler though? Don't you think things like Tim Fox will be influenced by how people react to the Future State books?