Astonishing Member

Default Batman/Superman #16

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #16
    written by GENE LUEN YANG
    art and cover by IVAN REIS and DANNY MIKI
    variant cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    ON SALE 3/23/21
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC
    In the aftermath of Dark Nights: Death Metal, catch a glimpse of brave new worlds within the DC Universe…but what are these strange planets? As we delve into the parallel lives of the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight, we'll meet new villains, new heroes, alternate realities, and a transdimensional collision that you will need to see to believe! It's the dastardly debut of a cadre of new villains, including the Spider Lady and her poisonous webs, Dr. Atom, who sports a Kryptonite pendant, and the maniacal machinations of the Unknown Wizard! You've never seen Batman and Superman like this before—so buckle up and get ready for the start of a new era courtesy of writer Gene Luen Yang and artist Ivan Reis!

I recognize the Unknown Wizard and the Spider Lady (derived from the Scarlet Widow) as villains from 1940s serial adventures.

I'm glad they're being reintroduced to the modern DCU.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 12-19-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Given Yang’s talent at revisiting old pulp concepts in New Superman I can’t wait to see what he does here. Maybe I should make the Yang Batman/Superman thread here this time.

It is not exactly the modern DCU but it seems interesting enough.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I love that the Spider Lady character design is seemingly a bit of a mash up of Spider-man and Black Cat.

Yeah I honestly really like the idea of having a boom that explores the multiverse, even if it is just Batman and Superman, and given how well he did in the Terrifics with alternate realities and stuff like that I think Yang is the perfect guy for this.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

One of my most anticipated books of March. Can't wait.

I was kind of hoping to see Yang write the main Clark and Bruce but this definitely gives him more freedom and I know he has a love of the pulp era comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was kind of hoping to see Yang write the main Clark and Bruce but this definitely gives him more freedom and I know he has a love of the pulp era comics.
    Given how hamstrung he was last time he got to write Superman, I can't imagine he wanted to play in another upended status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Given how hamstrung he was last time he got to write Superman, I can't imagine he wanted to play in another upended status quo.
    Maybe (especially if there's going to be another status quo shift) but I can't imagine not being tempted to write the main versions again. Though there may not have been room to write about both of them together in a book like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe (especially if there's going to be another status quo shift) but I can't imagine not being tempted to write the main versions again. Though there may not have been room to write about both of them together in a book like this.
    Oh I bet he wants to write the main versions, but not if it requires "Superman's out in space and not around his supporting cast or Metropolis. You also can't use any of his villains because they're on Earth or being used elsewhere."

After being saddled with New Fifty-Truth, why not just go Elseworlds?

Astonishing Member

I am looking forward to the Spider Lady.