Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Collected Hulk Help

Hi, so I currently have Hulk Vol. 1-5

I plan on picking up some of the collected issues that started before this series. Can someone help out?

I'm on this site right now:
    https://www.comixology.com/search/it...ected+Editions

Are these collected issues in order?

So I'll need to grab:
    Hulk Smash Avengers
    Hulk: Planet Hulk Prelude
    Hulk: Plant Hulk
    Hulk: World War Hulk
    Hulk: Gray

And then i'll be caught up to Hulk Vol. 1-5?

Also, I know a little bit of the story because of the Planet Hulk Movie. I'm going to dish some stuff out and i'd like some help figuring out where the comics hit the movie.

I know the hulk messed up new york or the earth or something bad enough that the avengers sent him into space. From there he lands on a planet and becomes enslaved.
    Does "hulk smash avengers/Hulk: planet Hulk Prelude/Hulk: Planet Hulk" cover all of that?

also, whats the different between these two? they're both named "world war hulks"

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hulk-wor...FUOFOgod2VEAIw

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/incr...0785162155&r=1
    Last edited by VinnyHaw; 05-04-2014 at 12:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyHaw View Post
    Hi, so I currently have Hulk Vol. 1-5

I plan on picking up some of the collected issues that started before this series. Can someone help out?

I'm on this site right now:
    https://www.comixology.com/search/it...ected+Editions

Are these collected issues in order?

So I'll need to grab:
    Hulk Smash Avengers
    Hulk: Planet Hulk Prelude
    Hulk: Plant Hulk
    Hulk: World War Hulk
    Hulk: Gray

And then i'll be caught up to Hulk Vol. 1-5?

Also, I know a little bit of the story because of the Planet Hulk Movie. I'm going to dish some stuff out and i'd like some help figuring out where the comics hit the movie.

I know the hulk messed up new york or the earth or something bad enough that the avengers sent him into space. From there he lands on a planet and becomes enslaved.
    Does "hulk smash avengers/Hulk: planet Hulk Prelude/Hulk: Planet Hulk" cover all of that?

also, whats the different between these two? they're both named "world war hulks"

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hulk-wor...FUOFOgod2VEAIw

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/incr...0785162155&r=1
    World War Hulk is the one you want, where the Hulk comes back to Earth for revenge. World War Hulks is the culmination of a storyline in Red Hulk's book. Don't even ask about him
    yet. Just read Planet Hulk & World War Hulk, and whatever else you feel like, but get familiar with the character before you open another can of worms with the red one. I don't know
    how far you want to go back in the Hulk's history, but the original series started in 1962 and only ran for 6 issues. The next several years of Hulk stories are in Tales To Astonish, and
    then in 1968, Incredible Hulk restarted using Tales To Astonish numbering, at 102. That series ran until 1999 at issue 474, when they started over from 1 again and went to 112. The
    next issue was the 600th total, so they reverted to the old numbering up to issue 611, and from 612-635 it was renamed The Incredible Hulks. It was relaunched again in 2011 and went
    from 1-15,, then relaunched again in 2012 as Indestructible Hulk 1-20, and recently relaunched again as just plain Hulk. So far only 2 issues out. Hope that helps.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    World War Hulk is the one you want, where the Hulk comes back to Earth for revenge. World War Hulks is the culmination of a storyline in Red Hulk's book. Don't even ask about him
    yet. Just read Planet Hulk & World War Hulk, and whatever else you feel like, but get familiar with the character before you open another can of worms with the red one. I don't know
    how far you want to go back in the Hulk's history, but the original series started in 1962 and only ran for 6 issues. The next several years of Hulk stories are in Tales To Astonish, and
    then in 1968, Incredible Hulk restarted using Tales To Astonish numbering, at 102. That series ran until 1999 at issue 474, when they started over from 1 again and went to 112. The
    next issue was the 600th total, so they reverted to the old numbering up to issue 611, and from 612-635 it was renamed The Incredible Hulks. It was relaunched again in 2011 and went
    from 1-15,, then relaunched again in 2012 as Indestructible Hulk 1-20, and recently relaunched again as just plain Hulk. So far only 2 issues out. Hope that helps.

I actually started reading through Red Hulk. I started reading comics back in December. I always had my fix on superheroes in other ways, but never the print versions. So I saw Rhulk and wanted to start with him. Hulk Vol. 1-5 follows the red hulk saga. This site just doesn't have Vol 6 (world war hulks) or Vol 7 (Scorched Earth).

Here's a image I took from Hulk Vol 1. (introudction of RHulk)
    http://imgur.com/JjJC85r
    (incase that's too much of a pain to read, i'll type down the order here)

Hulk Vol. 1: Red Hulk
    Hulk Vol. 2: Red and Green
    Hulk Vol. 3: Hulk No More
    Hulk Vol. 4: Hulk vs. x-force
    All New Savage She-Hulk
    Incredible Hulk Vol. 1: Son of Banner
    Hulk Vol. 5: Fall of the Hulks

Is that all correct? Order wise.

Here's where I want to start...

From before The Hulk is sent into space. So, it looks like "hulk smash avengers"?
    From there, he's sent into space. Then Planet Hulk takes place. Then world war hulk. And it looks like from this wiki page that Skaar Son of Hulk starts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Hulks

I'm okay with reading this arc through different books. I'd just like to not have to jump around time zones. i.e. planet hulk then start the red hulk saga all of a sudden.

Update:
    So, I'm still learning how comics organized.

I think I found the list I'm looking for...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hulk_titles

When you scroll down, you'll hit "Hulk vol. 1 & The Incredible Hulk vol. 2"

So, as of now I want to start from "prelude to planet hulk". Does that have the one where he fights the avengers?
    Then from there, I just keep readin down the list?

Update:
    Man, this is so confusing. On that wiki page I found 2 collections with the same title "world war hulks". I have no idea where to go here

http://imgur.com/vVI9ygo
    Last edited by VinnyHaw; 05-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.

All-New Member

Bumping post, please help

BANNED

Hulk Smash Avengers is just 5 different confrontations between the Avengers & Hulk over the years. Each issue takes place in a different era, and it was released right after
    the movie came out to grab some extra cash. The stories aren't bad, but they are updated versions of past comics. There is nothing critical in there. There is a New Avengers
    Illuminati Special where they decide to send him to another planet, and then there is a Planet Hulk prologue, followed by Planet Hulk. which is issue 92, I think. World War Hulk
    follows Planet Hulk, and a little later comes Fall Of The Hulks and World War Hulks. I have no idea what the collected editions are called, because I only buy the real comics.
    I can give you issue numbers, but that's it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Hulk Smash Avengers is just 5 different confrontations between the Avengers & Hulk over the years. Each issue takes place in a different era, and it was released right after
    the movie came out to grab some extra cash. The stories aren't bad, but they are updated versions of past comics. There is nothing critical in there. There is a New Avengers
    Illuminati Special where they decide to send him to another planet, and then there is a Planet Hulk prologue, followed by Planet Hulk. which is issue 92, I think. World War Hulk
    follows Planet Hulk, and a little later comes Fall Of The Hulks and World War Hulks. I have no idea what the collected editions are called, because I only buy the real comics.
    I can give you issue numbers, but that's it.
    Okay, so it looks like I want to start with the story that happens before hulk is sent into space and where planet hulk takes place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Hulk

I read a little on that wiki page (didn't want to spoil too much for myself). And it seems that the illumaniti decided hulk was dangerous to be on earth, that's when they sent him into space.

I'd like to learn why they thought the hulk was dangerous. So I guess if I just got the issue numbers, then I can look up the collected issues.

BANNED

Okay, so it looks like I want to start with the story that happens before hulk is sent into space and where planet hulk takes place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Hulk

I read a little on that wiki page (didn't want to spoil too much for myself). And it seems that the illumaniti decided hulk was dangerous to be on earth, that's when they sent him into space.

I'd like to learn why they thought the hulk was dangerous. So I guess if I just got the issue numbers, then I can look up the collected issues.
    Throughout his history, the Hulk has caused extensive damage many times. Most of the time it's not him that starts the trouble, but every time he goes on a rampage
    it's a disaster. They decided this course of action after one more incident because they know that it's only a matter of time until it happens again. You can pick up almost
    any issue of Incredible Hulk from the 1970's-80's and see an example of the damage he caused. I don't think there has ever been a period of longer than 10 issues
    that he hasn't gone on a rampage, even while he was intelligent.

Spectacular Member

The reason for the illuminati sending hulk into space is given at the beginning of the first part so you could just read the trade and be ok. If you want the specific issue where they decide to send him into space, it's in the new avengers: illuminati trade.

The two collections that were both called world war hulks do not have the same stories. They're part of a crossover called "world war hulks". They share the same overall story but each book contains a different point of view and a different set of characters. For example, the hulk: world war hulks trade might be red hulks side of the story while the Incredible Hulk: world war hulks trade will be green hulks side

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

He had just gone through a rampage in Las Vegas during JMS' Fantastic Four. The Illuminati thought he had once again become too unstable to keep around.

I'm not sure if that's the actual New Avengers volume you're looking for. I believe that's a reprint of the Illuminati mini-series that managed to retcon the Kree-Skrull War and the Beyonder before I finally gave up on it. The Incredible Hulk volumes are what you're looking for. Planet Hulk is really good-- best the book had been since Peter David left. Better than everything that's come since, too. (Except Incredible Herc.)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'm not sure if that's the actual New Avengers volume you're looking for. I believe that's a reprint of the Illuminati mini-series that managed to retcon the Kree-Skrull War and the Beyonder before I finally gave up on it. The Incredible Hulk volumes are what you're looking for. Planet Hulk is really good-- best the book had been since Peter David left. Better than everything that's come since, too. (Except Incredible Herc.)
    would i at least be good with getting the F4 and 2 hulks that I posted? order wise, so I wouldn't be all lost.

would i at least be good with getting the F4 and 2 hulks that I posted? order wise, so I wouldn't be all lost.
    Yeah, that's the bulk of the story.

The New Avengers issue you want is the Illuminati one-shot. It came out before the mini. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

All-New Member

Thank you very much for the help :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Yeah, that's the bulk of the story.

The New Avengers issue you want is the Illuminati one-shot. It came out before the mini. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Spectacular Member

Hulk - Gray

This one is a modern retelling of the Hulk's origin story. It's pretty good, but doesn't really need to be read in order with those other trades.

After you read the Planet Hulk through World War Hulk, I'd suggest going back and looking up the Peter David Marvel Visionaries Hulk series and getting either the Marvel Essentials (or Marvel Masterworks) of the Hulk. I think the Hulk is one of the better reading comics of the silver age. That's where you are going to find the real origin story and it's a classic along with the first appearances of all of the main Hulk foes. Another classic Hulk story which is really an alternated future is the Hulk Future Imperfect.

Once you get before Planet Hulk, it's a bit hit and miss for a few years. There are some that really hate Bruce Jones run of the Hulk. I think parts of it was pretty good at least the first few arcs, but I wouldn't call them essential reading.

Like with all Marvel comics, the really good stuff is the 60s through the 80s comics. While perhaps somewhat stylistically dated to the current comics, those are the comics that are why the character is still popular 50 years later. I'd say considering the Hulk had a lot of change over in the writers compared to some of the other classic Marvel titles, it was generally a pretty good comic through the classic period of Marvel. Peter David has had the longest run, he did over a hundred issues starting in the 80s and cool thing is it's in print via trade paperback.