Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I wonder if it is a bit of marketing too?

Death in the Family where Jason Todd was killed vs Cat Grant's son dying, which I'm not even sure what storyline that happened in.

For an example.

Batman is advertised with storylines that have impact while Superman doesn't really. Or not as many which is what prompted this thread.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I wonder if it is a bit of marketing too?

Death in the Family where Jason Todd was killed vs Cat Grant's son dying, which I'm not even sure what storyline that happened in.

For an example.

Batman is advertised with storylines that have impact while Superman doesn't really. Or not as many which is what prompted this thread.
    It was the storyline involving the original Post-Crisis Toyman I believe where Cat Grant's son died. But yeah in general I think the big problem with Superman is risk aversion. If you want to go down in history you've got to put your neck on the line.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    It was the storyline involving the original Post-Crisis Toyman I believe where Cat Grant's son died. But yeah in general I think the big problem with Superman is risk aversion. If you want to go down in history you've got to put your neck on the line.
    Right, I mean the storyline should be called, "Toys aren't for kids." Or something like that and everyone should be saying, "Did you read the Superman storyline "Toys aren't for kids"? That is tragic."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Reading this thread I can see 2 questions really being asked here: Why isn't Superman more popular than he is (or as popular as he should be)? 2) What are the best Superman stories that are comparable to the best Batman stories?

1) The answer to the popularity question is that... this is the 21st century... Given the course of human history and by extension, American history, of the last 20-30 years, Superman's ideals have been lost and have become outdated in an age where fear, uncertainty, confusion, cynicism and angst have taken over. His replacement, Batman, has a darker more cynical edge, for arguably more cynical times. The American psyche has responded to the last 20 or so turbulent years with a greater appreciation for Batman. Batman crept into his current popularity in 2005 with Batman Begins and Nolan, and has only become more popular since then. So, there's that.

As for the 2nd question... You guys want a near-perfect Superman collection of stories that will do very well to represent who he is? I Would SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:

Superman: The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told (1980's Edition)
    The Superman Archives Vol. 1 (Superman 1-4 1939)
    Superman Adventures (animated series comics)
    For All Seasons
    Superman: Kryptonite by Darwyn Cooke
    Superman: Brainiac
    All Star Superman
    The Man of Steel miniseries by John Byrne
    The rest of the Byrne run
    Dark Knight Over Metropolis
    LEX LUTHOR – Man of Steel
    Superman: Exile
    The Death and Return of Superman Story
    Superman: The Wedding and Beyond
    Kryptonite Nevermore (DC Comics Classics Library)
    Last Son by Donner/Johns
    Superman-Shazam: First Thunder
    Superman Vs The Flash TPB
    Whatever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow?
    For the Man Who Has Everything
    Superman: Peace On Earth

These are all timeless in my opinion, or at least snapshots of what makes Superman great. I will grant you... few, if any, of these stories have been published in the last 10 years BUT these are "Classic" none the less.

I would also add... that most of Batman's great stories happened before the year 2000 as well.
    Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 12-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.