Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Dan Slott looking to write a Spider-Man film in the future?

Could you envision Dan Slott writing a screen play for the next Spider-Man films, whether it's live action or animated?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Could you envision Dan Slott writing a screen play for the next Spider-Man films, whether it's live action or animated?
    To write a screenplay, you need:

1) An agent.
    2) A membership in the WGA.
    3) Probably a visit and extended stay in the West Coast.

It's a wholly different career from writing comic books.

Dan Slott as per his IMDb page (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2739541/) has written scripts for TV shows like the Fantastic Four cartoon, the USM cartoon, and he worked as a producer on the recently concluded Marvel Spider-Man cartoon. He's also written the Shattered Dimensions game, and was part of the writing team on the PS4 game.

I don't think that suggests someone especially ambitious and gearing to write screenplays for a Hollywood movie. As they say, "You gotta want it really bad".

Spider-Man movies and their scripts have always been written by professional Hollywood screenwriters (as well as some uncredited scribes and script doctors here and there), for better and for worse.

Writing one medium doesn't translate to writing for another. Writing a play is not the same as writing a novel or a poem and so on and so forth. Writing for comics doesn't translate to writing for movies. Donny Cates had tried pitching some scripts and he pointed out in an interview that when you are writing a comics script you are basically slowing stuff down, pacing it step by step moment by moment whereas cinema is all action, all movement, and there can't be anything extraneous that gets in the way of the overall point of the film.

On the whole, the question is inextricable from "Would you want Slott to write a screenplay for the Spider-Man film" and the answer to that is no for a variety of reasons. The biggest attribute a comics writer can bring to the movie business is a ear for dialogue and Slott's dialogue is generally not very good. Among Spider-Man writers with a good ear for dialogue, someone like JMS (who does have real Hollywood experiences and written screenplays for major film-makers like Clint Eastwood), Roger Stern, Paul Jenkins, JMD, among others would be preferable.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-19-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Slott seemed fairly comfortable playing a consultant role on Spider-Man media but I'm not sure if he has that time now.

He already did. It's called Marvel's Spider-Man. IT's for the PS4

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    He already did. It's called Marvel's Spider-Man. IT's for the PS4
    Slott was just ONE of the writers and not the main writer.

The actual game was overseen by Jon Paquette and a big writing staff. In the end credits of the game, all Slott is credited with is "Additional Dialogue".

The writing of the game wasn't mainly or significantly done by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Slott was just ONE of the writers and not the main writer.

The actual game was overseen by Jon Paquette and a big writing staff. In the end credits of the game, all Slott is credited with is "Additional Dialogue".

The writing of the game wasn't mainly or significantly done by him.
    I think the additional dialogue is after the bomb in that building explodes, and Vulture is dragging Spidey along, specifically when Vulture says "So refreshing to work for a man like Octavius! Backup plans for his backup plans!", which always looked weird for me 'cause, that's more of a Slott's Otto thing (Stuff like Ends of the Earth has Otto being ahead of everything and everyone), and nowhere in the game does it look like Otto has backup plans, if anything he tends to do rather straight forward stuff for the most part, and and rely on this particular plan, with only the bomb moment really looking like he planned for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I think the additional dialogue is after the bomb in that building explodes, and Vulture is dragging Spidey along, specifically when Vulture says "So refreshing to work for a man like Octavius! Backup plans for his backup plans!", which always looked weird for me 'cause, that's more of a Slott's Otto thing (Stuff like Ends of the Earth has Otto being ahead of everything and everyone), and nowhere in the game does it look like Otto has backup plans, if anything he tends to do rather straight forward stuff for the most part, and and rely on this particular plan, with only the bomb moment really looking like he planned for something.
    Because of course, Slott would find a way, if he isn't carefull we are getting another Thanos/Starlin situation soon enought lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Because of course, Slott would find a way, if he isn't carefull we are getting another Thanos/Starlin situation soon enought lol.
    Jim Starlin created Thanos, Slott didn't create Dr. Octopus. The Dr. Octopus of the game by and large has nothing really in common with the comics or the version Slott did. He's patterend in part on Molina's version with a bit of Walter White added, so it's an original take specific to the game.

Until the 90s, Ock didn't have a backstory. His origin was introduced by Tom Defalco and Otto entirely built off Defalco's work in his run on Superior. The stuff about Otto's sob-story past and the notion that Otto is somehow a contrast to Peter was Defalco's contribution who inserted Otto's origin in the idea of making him more like Peter. It was never part of the original version of the character or part of the intentions of Otto's creators (Ditko and Lee). The Doctor Octopus of SM-2, of Superior Spider-Man, and PS4 is largely the contribution of Tom Defalco.

I don't know, haven't checked a deep dive into the production that breaks down contributions individually.

The fact is that the game borrowed ideas from Slott's run such as Big Time and also BND, so you have Mr. Negative, Speedball in the story. So I think mostly his contribution might have pertained to how those story elements and other bits were included.

Bear in mind, on a video game project, it's super-collaborative so Slott could have turned in stuff that would have been rewritten in large chunks by the narrative lead or the directors and others. So it's not like a movie where writers turn in drafts and you can trace and track changes and additions specific to different writers.

I took that to be referring to the whole "Master Planner" shtick than anything specific.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Because of course, Slott would find a way,
    That's not confirmed though, it's just that ever since I heard that Slott was involved in some parts of the writing, that moment is the one that felt the most Slott-like to me, specially since, again, what Vulture says doesn't really follow the rest of the way Otto operates... Always possible they included that 'cause it'd sound cool and Slott did something else.

if he isn't carefull we are getting another Thanos/Starlin situation soon enought lol.
    Well, Slott doesn't treat Otto like he's a perfect genius everyone should worship, so I don't think it's Starlin/Thanos level, and since Slott is writing Iron Man and F4, unlikely that'll happen anytime soon lol.

Jim Starlin created Thanos, Slott didn't create Dr. Octopus. The Dr. Octopus of the game by and large has nothing really in common with the comics or the version Slott did. He's patterend in part on Molina's version with a bit of Walter White added, so it's an original take specific to the game.

Until the 90s, Ock didn't have a backstory. His origin was introduced by Tom Defalco and Otto entirely built off Defalco's work in his run on Superior. The stuff about Otto's sob-story past and the notion that Otto is somehow a contrast to Peter was Defalco's contribution who inserted Otto's origin in the idea of making him more like Peter. It was never part of the original version of the character or part of the intentions of Otto's creators (Ditko and Lee). The Doctor Octopus of SM-2, of Superior Spider-Man, and PS4 is largely the contribution of Tom Defalco.
    Cape is talking about how Starlin overwanks Thanos, something Slott does with Otto.

I don't know, haven't checked a deep dive into the production that breaks down contributions individually.

The fact is that the game borrowed ideas from Slott's run such as Big Time and also BND, so you have Mr. Negative, Speedball in the story. So I think mostly his contribution might have pertained to how those story elements and other bits were included.

Bear in mind, on a video game project, it's super-collaborative so Slott could have turned in stuff that would have been rewritten in large chunks by the narrative lead or the directors and others. So it's not like a movie where writers turn in drafts and you can trace and track changes and additions specific to different writers.
    So basically it's hard to ever know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I took that to be referring to the whole "Master Planner" shtick than anything specific.
    Good point, but even then this whole "backup plans for backup plans" really feels like Slott's handprint, even if he wasn't the one who wrote it lol.

BANNED

That's not confirmed though, it's just that ever since I heard that Slott was involved in some parts of the writing, that moment is the one that felt the most Slott-like to me, specially since, again, what Vulture says doesn't really follow the rest of the way Otto operates... Always possible they included that 'cause it'd sound cool and Slott did something else.
    It could simply be a character beat about how easily impressed the likes of Vulture are by someone like Ock who is so much smarter than him.

Cape is talking about how Starlin overwanks Thanos, something Slott does with Otto.
    Oh, okay. But anyway, Starlin at least has some claim to be proprietary on Thanos since he created him whereas Slott has none.

So basically it's hard to ever know for sure.
    Game development is not like film production. Film productions rigidly track and leave a paper trail for every contribution and save as many notes as possible. But game development because it's non-unionized means no notes, no papers and it gets harder to track and follow. So short of them coming forward with emails, draft notes, word documents and so on and so forth, it's hard to tell.

Dan Slott if interviewed might be forthcoming.

Slott has an additional contributions credit in Spider-Man PS4 and has said he was more of a consultant. Gage actively co-wrote a lot of the game.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Slott has an additional contributions credit in Spider-Man PS4 and has said he was more of a consultant. Gage actively co-wrote a lot of the game.
    He tends to co-write a bunch of stuff Slott's involved in.

Seeing as Slott's plotting and dialogue writing do not impress me very much, I'm not all that interested in his writing a movie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It could simply be a character beat about how easily impressed the likes of Vulture are by someone like Ock who is so much smarter than him.
    If that's the case, then he really is the biggest loser in that Sinister Six, not only with the smallest screen time, who Spidey beats up the most (Whenever he tried to attack Spidey in the Ryker's prison break, Spidey attacked him before he could do any damage, only after the rest of the villains beat up Spidey that he managed to hit Spidey at all), but also overrating Otto that much because he's easily impressed... Thinking of it, that kinda makes him be like Spectacular Electro lol.

Oh, okay. But anyway, Starlin at least has some claim to be proprietary on Thanos since he created him whereas Slott has none.
    Sure, but the point was only about favoritism lol.

Game development is not like film production. Film productions rigidly track and leave a paper trail for every contribution and save as many notes as possible. But game development because it's non-unionized means no notes, no papers and it gets harder to track and follow. So short of them coming forward with emails, draft notes, word documents and so on and so forth, it's hard to tell.

Dan Slott if interviewed might be forthcoming.
    Good to know, thanks.