Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Good to know, thanks.
    You're welcome.

Writing for games is quite different from comics and refers to a bunch of things that we don't really think of writing. So for instance in any game, writing means not only the dialogue in the cutscenes, but also crowd and street chatter, battle taunts and grunts, and so on and so forth. All the repetitive catchphrases you hear on loop. Writing also means stuff like flavor text, background stuff and so on, so you know the in-game social media posts, the in-game biographies, the in-game audiotape logs, the stuff in the background like street signs, graffiti and whatnot.

Writing also involves descriptions and stuff, which tend to be exact so if you do a warehouse and you want the warehouse to have some coherence and link with the other stuff in the game.

Big open-world games like Spider-Man PS4 are virtually impossible for a single writer to work on. So usually you have one guy who serves as overall editor (often called Narrative Director, Designer but can vary depending on the dev. and project because again non-unionized biz so the terms and chain-of-command isn't standardized) who the writing team report to, and they ensure that all the stuff different writers working separately with different units have some overall coherence and link.

Astonishing Member

I have a strange feeling that Slott will return to ASM as full time writer once again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I have a strange feeling that Slott will return to ASM as full time writer once again.
    I really doubt it. Why? 1: Slott admitted his favorite was the Fantastic Four not Spider-Man ( especially not Peter). 2: Marvel knows how reviled the Slott era was.This is especially true when it comes to the regression of Peter to a man-child. I would note the fact that for those who prefer a teenage Spider-Man, there is already a very successful one in Miles. This does not even include others like Gwen and Miguel who have possibilities of also becoming successful. So why go back there? 3: Say whatever you think about Spencer, but if he spends years cleaning up the Slott mess, and Marvel brings him back, what will it say about Spencer?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Historically speaking, writers who have a run on Amazing Spider-Man don't get to do backsies. The only writer who got to do it was Tom Defalco as part of the Clone Saga and Post-Clone Saga chaos, but when people talk of Defalco's run, they refer to the one in the '80s.

Writers have come back for stuff like Spectacular Spider-Man, some special issue here and there, some miniseries but not a second full length run. So Slott can come back for a miniseries, some special one-shot...that can happen, but a full-length run is highly unlikely.

For one thing, Nick Spencer's ASM is selling very well so financially there's no incentive to bring back Slott. If and when, Spencer leaves there are a host of writers who are waiting in the wing to write the comic, including Donny Cates (who has said ASM is his dream gig...even if I have doubts about him being suited to write it). So giving Dan Slott the gig would take away from the new emerging pool of young writers at Marvel.

Slott by himself is not a proven seller. Amazing Spider-Man is by far the biggest thing to happen in his career, before and after. Before working on BND, Slott did miniseries for DC, licensed comics for 2 decades, and at Marvel he did She-Hulk, and miniseries like The Thing and Spider-Man/Human Torch...so that's not the resume of a guy who is dynamite on his own. After ASM, he's been working on Fantastic Four which has by and large toiled in obscurity compared to stuff that happens in ASM, Venom, the Hickman and Co.'s X-Men, Immortal Hulk, Jason Aaron's Thor and Avengers runs. Slott hasn't done any significant creator owned work of note, unlike Kieron Gillen or Hickman.

So there's not much incentive to bring Slott back on ASM. I am not saying it's impossible for it to happen. It's just that it's really unlikely. Such a move would create division among Marvel's young writers who feel like they should get a shot to do ASM especially since their non-ASM gigs have been far more successful than Slott's non-ASM stuff. It wouldn't make marketing sense, company sense, personnel sense.

Censorship Sucks

Not unless the dialogue is written in entirety first on twitter.

Unless Slott himself says what's what, I have no idea what, if anything he wants further from the Spider-Man franchise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    2: Marvel knows how reviled the Slott era was.This is especially true when it comes to the regression of Peter to a man-child?
    Reviled by who? It was constantly their best selling book...it had several surges in sales years into the run. Don't universalise the opinion of a tiny minority to make it more credible, it doesn't change what it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Reviled by who? It was constantly their best selling book...
    Spider-Man always sells well. Slott also had a troop of popular artists working on the title and several variants, as well as gimmicks like new costumes and stuff which do well.

It's hard to argue that Slott himself had the title sell well since nothing he did before or after, nor anything in creator owned work (of which he has no portfolio) argues that by himself, he's a top seller.

More recently he had an event called Iron Man 2020 which got a lot of promotion and yet it barely made a dent compared to Hickman, Cates, or Spencer.

Don't universalise the opinion of a tiny minority to make it more credible, it doesn't change what it is.
    Dan Slott's Spider-Man run did sell very well, of that there's no question. However, something can be successful and still be polarizing and controversial. Nickelback was a successful band, Michael Bay was a successful film-maker, Game of Thrones was a successful show. The Star Wars Prequels (which I happen to like a lot by the way) was commercially very successful but quite controversial and polarizing. The same with the sequels. So Dan Slott being successful could just mean he's the Nickelback of Spider-Man runs, is all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Reviled by who? It was constantly their best selling book...it had several surges in sales years into the run. Don't universalise the opinion of a tiny minority to make it more credible, it doesn't change what it is.
    Agreed- reviled by who indeed. I prefer Slott to what I'm reading now. All the talk of being a "man-child", but current Peter Parker lives in an apartment with 2 roommates and a pet Gog.

He actually used his science knowledge with Slott. Not so much anymore.

With Slott we actually moved from story to story and love or hate it, it moved. Now the consensus is "Wait and see, this will all pay off" "Let Spencer tell his story - its building to something big!" "We have MJ back, so it has to be good now!".

But I digress.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Agreed- reviled by who indeed. I prefer Slott to what I'm reading now. All the talk of being a "man-child", but current Peter Parker lives in an apartment with 2 roommates and a pet Gog.
    This is bizarre...what does living in an apartment with roommates have to do with being a manchild?

Since when does falling out of a middle-class scheme of living equivalent to a lack of maturity? Who teleported their values from the Victorian era?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This is bizarre...what does living in an apartment with roommates have to do with being a manchild?

Since when does falling out of a middle-class scheme of living equivalent to a lack of maturity? Who teleported their values from the Victorian era?
    Because one of those roommates is a supervillain and the other is dating an active supervillain.

When do they plan on leaving?

Incredible Member

I'm probably unclear on the concept of what a "man-child" is. I notice it thrown around on this board a lot.

I guess it's a reference to why can't we have a married hero with a kid of his own?

Well, every adult isn't married and everyone doesn't have kids either, so who really teleported their values from the Victorian era?

BANNED

I guess it's a reference to why can't we have a married hero with a kid of his own?
    That's not how you used it here (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...81#post5388881)

All the talk of being a "man-child", but current Peter Parker lives in an apartment with 2 roommates and a pet Gog.
    You didn't mention the marriage or anything. You basically called a low-income lifestyle as being equivalent to being a man-child, which is classist and prejudiced against poor people.

Incredible Member

I've admitted not being clear on the concept of why folks use "man-child" on this board.

I also have no idea why Peter has to be in an apartment with 2 roommates - I guess its due to lack income. We never focus on how Peter makes ANY money at all during Spencer's run.

I actually don't mind the situation and only threw it out there because of someone mentioning how "reviled" Slott's run was.

We all have our preferences - I prefer Slott to Spencer.