Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will 2021 be a better year for Superman than 2020 was?

The high point of 2020 was the conclusion of SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, imo.

But that story as a whole really was more the highlight of 2019 (and possibly the 2010s as a decade).

What are you looking forward to most as a Superman fan in the upcoming calendar year?

Future State

Red & Blue miniseries

Zack Snyder's Justice League on HBOmax

Superman & Lois television show on the CW

Something else?

And do you have hope that 2021 will be better for Superman fans than this year 2020 was?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Matrix 4, because superman is actually the one who never left matrix or never realised it's all an illusion created by those pesky machines.The 4th sequel will touch on how perry white is actually morpheus's predecessor.I am looking forward to future state and aftermath.I do hope that's the case.but i don't think it will be.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-19-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Not sure if 2021 will be a better world for Superman than 2020 was, but Hopefully, it will be a better world for everyone!

Don’t know. 2020 had a bunch of great stuff that’s going to go down as all timers with Superman Smashes The Klan and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen. As someone who enjoyed Bendis Superman, it was a great time all around comic wise. We also got two animated Superman movies, both of which I enjoyed.

2021 looks promising, Snyder Cut aside since I know I won’t enjoy that. He’s getting an actual Superman TV show for the first time in decades, PKJ is building towards some big Superman event in Sept, PKJ is doing more cosmic stuff with him, Yang’s Batman/Superman looks fantastic, Red & Blue looks great, I’m getting Morrison’s Superman Omnibus, people who want kid Jon are getting Challenge of the Super Sons from Tomasi, Kon has a very interesting team up with the Suicide Squad coming and Thompson is a good writer apparently, if we could get a Supergirl ongoing for Kara again, and something for Steel too I’d be very happy. King has a BL Superman project coming, and I think Waid does too. Injustice 3 will probably get announced so that will suck, but overall it looks like there’s a lot to be excited for!

Spectacular Member

If it's a continuation of Bendis like stuff, no. It will continue to fail and be mediocre.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think 2021 will be a big year. We have been promised a big Superman event before the year even starts, so that's exciting. We'll have a new Superman with Jon and it sounds like Superman's status quo will be shaken up.

I am also excited to have a actual Superman and Lois tv show again. I love both lois and clark and smallvile, so hopefully that keeps up the tradition. Admittely, I haven't watched much supergirl so haven't watched every appearance with the new clark and lois so hopefully the tv show will be a good jumping on point.

As for the snyder cut, I don't know..we'll see.

I think it's too soon to tell, but I think 2021 will be an interesting year.

Seemingly no animated movie but we do have a new show in Superman and Lois that will hopefully treat both title characters and the mythos well (especially when people are still kind of dubious on CW Arrowverse shows).

The comics seem to be shaking things up a little still and taking Superman and his world into new directions, so your feelings on that will probably depend on your feelings about the franchise as it currently is. I hope in general for good books and promotion for the Superfamily as a whole.

I think it depends on how other media and other potential lines of comics do, like Red and Blue. Because it looks like everything fans didn't like about Superman in 2020 are planning to be exacerbated on in 2021, not curbed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm looking forward to the TV show. This has to keep him in the public eye better than a video game where he's a villain. Again. Superman Red & Blue looks good. Looking forward to that. As for the main books, we'll have to wait and see. I don't trust DC or AT&T management right now. They may get rid of the entire print division by the end of the year. Who knows.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Here's to hoping it will be a good year but there are def some things that could end up being really cool and memorable. I am looking forward to things like Red & Blue and potential BL stuff (Waid?) more than the monthlies. Off the beaten path concepts, stories, and writers are ripe with (hopefully realized) potential. At the very least, they are opportunities for those who don't want to see Bendis' ideas moving forward with the PKJ run. Frankly, Clark being outed with no SI could lead to some interesting stories if well written. I'm curious to see how other writers handle things Bendis started. If they crash and burn, then it's clear they were just bad ideas, plain and simple. On the other hand, if some cool stories come out of it, then we end up playing with house money. The biggest wildcard is probably Jon and what effect he has on the books on the whole; will he end up completely taking over one of them? Time will tell. As frequently alluded to, there's bound to be some sort of reboot at some point anyway. If nothing else, its good to have some new blood handling the books, so there's always that.

Newsarama hinted at possible Supergirl title in April or maybe later. It's possible that they just haven't announced yet and maybe we'll see it in the following month's solicits. On another note, it now looks like JL Dark has been relegated to being a complementary story within the main JL book. Bummer, that was a cool book.

https://www.gamesradar.com/lost-on-t...tended-hiatus/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

*Shakes magic eight ball*

All signs point to drink... more Ovaltine?! ARE YOU FU--

There's clearly a renewed focus on the Superman line, but for Superman as Clark Kent? Time will tell. It sounds like he's getting shuffled off to split focus with his son in an even more prominent fashion than before, so it's anyone's guess. I hope it's a better year, but it's far too early to tell.

Not much anyone here can really do besides hope for the best, Superman: Red & Blue is the first Superman title in a while I’ve been interested in but I just like a good anthology nothing against Bendis or Johnson’s upcoming stuff.

I don’t watch CW and no real interest in the Snyder cut so no real thoughts on those.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Gonna say yes. I'll assume in advance Bendis > Johnson even if I think PKJ will probably do a fine job, but other than that we only ('only', but still, only) got the last issue of Smashes the Klan and the back half of Jimmy Olsen this year, along with those Derington issues of Batman/Superman, a scant 10 pages of Waid and Manapul goodness, and a couple good Man of Tomorrow digital stories; his only mass-media presence was his minimal role in the end of COIE, and those set photos of The Batman where it turns out there's a partygoer dressed as him. That's still a good as hell year by his modern standards, but no obvious bullseye. 2021 we've got his proper return to TV (with for my money the best live-action Superman), Snyder Cut for those wanting that, Future State with in particular House of El and Imperious Lex looking like guaranteed fun, Red & Blue, a project by Tom King and by all appearances a project by Mark Waid (as well as I suspect Scott Snyder since he's talked about doing a big out-of-continuity thing other than his upcoming Nightwing book, it's not Batman and I suspect he's done what he wanted to with Wonder Woman), another new team on Superman proper waiting in the wings after PKJ does a big Action story with Mikel Janin that'll be announced by the end of the year, and his presence in Bendis and Marquez's Justice League and Yang and Reis's amazing-looking Batman/Superman. Even if some of the more speculative or up-in-the-air stuff doesn't pan out, it feels pretty clear-cut to me.
    Buh-bye

No, it's going to be the same thing but ever crappier

I don’t think Snyder has done all he wants to with Diana just yet, but I also don’t know if he’s got any plans to write any more of her. Snyder’s “pitch” for WW in Superman Unchained was her facing a magical apocalypse, I guess Death Metal would qualify. It would be ridiculously on brand for Snyder to write Diana as the POV character for a Batman event and then go “yeah I think that’s enough for me”, but I’d like to think better of him lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    No, it's going to be the same thing but ever crappier
    I don’t see how it could be that bad honestly. We’re getting more stuff with him in it then we’ve gotten in a while, the only real negatives for me are the Snyder Cut and if Injustice 3 is coming out next year. Otherwise it looks like we’re getting a lot of quality stuff.