Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Nah, even as an intellectual villain Riddler is hard to write and reduced to being a gimmick villain, let alone making him a protagonist.
    ^^^nah.

Quote Originally Posted by maxax View Post
    His run as a Private Detective was good and never should have ended, it was one of the few really good attempts to redeem a villainous character.
    ^^^it was pretty well received, too.

Anyway, Riddler’s my pick, I won’t run it into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's why he showed up in B:TAS as little as he did. He didn't even get an episode of his own in TNBA.
    Yeah that makes sense.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Mr Freeze: doesn't have traits that can get flanderized easily, has an easy to understand motivation.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member

Depends entirely on what type of protagonist you want:

- Morally grey but lovable rogue? Catwoman.

- Amoral and unlucky, but still technically on the right side? Reformed Riddler.

- Byronic Anti-hero/villain with an alien moral code? Bane or Ra’s Al Ghul.

-Tragic Villain? Mr. Freeze or Two-face.

- Straight up loathsome but still fun to read?... just put Paul Dini behind them; dude made Tommy Elliot a hilariously petulant crybaby, but Heart of Hush and House of Hush are still great even from his POV.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Most people can write Harley and Ivy as protagonists in their sleep now.

Mighty Member

Traditionally Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley have all been written as protagonists/anti heroes at one time or another.

At times the Penguin has been someone Batman has been able to do business with as well.

Characters like Harley show so long as you ignore their massive body counts you can just write about any of them as protagonists.

So just about all of them.

Anarky, his solos series were pretty good.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Characters like Harley show so long as you ignore their massive body counts you can just write about any of them as protagonists.

So just about all of them.
    Yeah...even characters who have justified causes like Ivy, you have to write anyone she opposes like a Captain Planet villain (mustache twirling) in order to really sell her as a protagonist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah...even characters who have justified causes like Ivy, you have to write anyone she opposes like a Captain Planet villain (mustache twirling) in order to really sell her as a protagonist.
    Or just write stories of her being in tune with nature & taking care of plants instead of her going to clubs/bars to harvest people as plant food. Do we need to write villain vs villain stories?
    Last edited by prepmaster; 12-25-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    This reminds me of the Harley Quinn cartoon where she and Joker were killing off these cartoonish rich guys and then she and Ivy were casually killing some corporate executives for harming the environment.

Pretty much anyone can be written well as a protagonist. Protagonist =/= good guy. Even a character like the Joker could make a well written protagonist if you have the right team on him

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Pretty much anyone can be written well as a protagonist. Protagonist =/= good guy. Even a character like the Joker could make a well written protagonist if you have the right team on him
    But the question is who is the most easily written as protagonist. Like the viewpoint/narrative from these villains must be compelling and make readers interested in understanding them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Or just write stories of her being in tune with nature & taking care of plants instead of her going to clubs/bars to harvest people as plant food. Do we need to write villain vs villain stories?
    Even when she attacks companies she doesn't attack assets, she attacks people. Sure we could do the "Ivy has never killed anyone" spiel but we know that's bull!

This reminds me of the Harley Quinn cartoon where she and Joker were killing off these cartoonish rich guys and then she and Ivy were casually killing some corporate executives for harming the environment.
    Interestingly BTAS Ivy didn't do research when turning people into trees in Eternal Youth as she didn't know about Wayne NOT doing what she says his company did and it gets worse when she settles for Alfred and Maggie as it shows ANYONE will do as long as someone is punished for a perceived crime. In order for anyone to have "deserved it" they have to be a mustache twirler.

That's why he showed up in B:TAS as little as he did. He didn't even get an episode of his own in TNBA.
    I think that even the writers said that they hated doing episodes with him because of that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona