Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Has DC reckoned with the fact that Harley Quinn killed a bunch of children?

In Detective Comics 23.2 Harley Quinn straight up explodes dozens of children with exploding video games.

No matter how much abuse she suffered at the hands of the Joker, that is a singularly irredeemable act.

I've never been able to accept Harley as a anti-hero or even hero at times after reading that issue. When we were supposed to feel bad for her in Heroes in Crisis it just fell so flat because that issue should still haunt the character.

Has DC ever addressed this issue and tried to undo it or something?

Most likely that's not in continuity anymore.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Yeah, I think DC probably cast that story (written by Matt Kindt) aside even before the end of the New52.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

DC doesn't care about details like that
    That story also includes Harley's second origin story
    They made a third one next year
    and a fourth one the year after that
    It's the kind of thing that they don't care that she's written like that to make her edgy, but when they move on to a different direction they don't bother to fix it because it's just one issue out of a fifty per run

Ten people maybe read that comic, and four of them remember it. Who cares.

Well, everyone remembers everything now, but I kind of doubt DC is going to acknowledge some of Harley's worst crimes these days.

Except that Death Metal brings everyone's memories back, even specifying "the good and the bad", so logically, it should be back in continuity.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/ocn...12919551344640

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Except that Death Metal brings everyone's memories back, even specifying "the good and the bad", so logically, it should be back in continuity.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/ocn...12919551344640
    Doesn't mean that some of the memories won't conveniently slip through the cracks when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Doesn't mean that some of the memories won't conveniently slip through the cracks when all is said and done.
    Um, no? Unless you mean that writers will quietly ignore some memories, in which case, that's kind of the problem when you do something like this and proceed to ignore it anyways.

For the most part, DC pretty much ignores that she's killed or helped kill anyone. It's harder to make her look like a hero, if you don't ignore all the murders.

Spectacular Member

Well, can someone explain that to me then? I'm a Marvel guy first and foremost so the nearest comparison point for Harley Quinn has always been Deadpool. But they never act like Deadpool didn't kill people. I mean, they tried hard to sell us on the fact that Captain America would ever accept Deadpool, I never really agreed with it, but they did address it.

Is DC really just not addressing it? That seems shockingly cynical and clumsy.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Well, can someone explain that to me then? I'm a Marvel guy first and foremost so the nearest comparison point for Harley Quinn has always been Deadpool. But they never act like Deadpool didn't kill people. I mean, they tried hard to sell us on the fact that Captain America would ever accept Deadpool, I never really agreed with it, but they did address it.

Is DC really just not addressing it? That seems shockingly cynical and clumsy.
    Welcome to DC. This is how they do things. Whenever a new writer and/or a new concept come up from editorial, everything else before that is ignored except if they like it, if it's not in the way of their new concept, or if they can figure out how to rectify it by making a story out of it.

Especially if they're a big writer. DC values its star writer's freedom than in-story consistency.

The only real consistency you can rely on is if the stories are done by the same writer, by writers you know are working together regularly, or if they're the writer who fixes things or be respectfully consistent no matter if they personally like what came before or not.

DC recently declare publicly that they will write stories by not worrying too much about continuity. They've been doing that for a while, they just made it official.

Not surprised about it.. DC loves her too much and want to sell her to the people to want her involved in something like this.

I am tired to see her in unexpected places... Or standing out more than other characters outside her comics.
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-20-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Welcome to DC. This is how they do things. Whenever a new writer and/or a new concept come up from editorial, everything else before that is ignored except if they like it, if it's not in the way of their new concept, or if they can figure out how to rectify it by making a story out of it.

Especially if they're a big writer. DC values its star writer's freedom than in-story consistency.

The only real consistency you can rely on is if the stories are done by the same writer, by writers you know are working together regularly, or if they're the writer who fixes things or be respectfully consistent no matter if they personally like what came before or not.

DC recently declare publicly that they will write stories by not worrying too much about continuity. They've been doing that for a while, they just made it official.
    That one story with Harley was one throw-away issue for Villains Month, written by a guy who I don't think was a regular writer of the character, and it wasn't in a Harley Quinn series comic book.
    I don't know how likely DC is to ever care if it exists at this point.

Dc stopped caring about continuity. They reboot so often we should just try these things has no cannon all the time