Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    He's just a journalist. Nobody tries to take pictures with journalists.
    He was a journalist. Now he is a superhero who in his off-hours (if he gets any) writes for a news organization.

Once he becomes a celebrity he isn't reporting the story- he is the story. No one is reading for his ideas, they are reading because SUPERMAN wrote the story.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    He was a journalist. Now he is a superhero who in his off-hours (if he gets any) writes for a news organization.

Once he becomes a celebrity he isn't reporting the story- he is the story. No one is reading for his ideas, they are reading because SUPERMAN wrote the story.
    To be fair,I don't think Clark would mind that(I mean,anything to keep dailyplanet going).As long as people get to know the truth and people read what he writes.I am sure,people who have been regular readers of clark's articles and perspective would read for his thoughts.

We need to realise,clark is forty something dude who is well-settled in his personal life and is pretty chill.Yet,Doing all this lieing and things.Especially,in front of friend like jimmy,perry..etc.It doesn't look good from an outsiders/casual readers perspective is all i am saying.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    We need to realise,clark is forty something dude who is well-settled in his personal life and is pretty chill.Yet,Doing all this lieing and things.Especially,in front of friend like jimmy,perry..etc.It doesn't look good from an outsiders/casual readers perspective is all i am saying.
    Didn't Clark tell Jimmy his secret identity during Geoff Johns run? So the only person he is "lying" to is Perry and his co workers, I don't think it affects their relationship very much. Like tell me something that Clark would do isif he had a secret identity that would be disrespectful to his friends and co workers (imagining that Jimmy and Lois know who he is)
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-25-2020 at 07:31 AM.

I can think of another use for the secret identity, especially Pre-COIE. Having actual conversations with people. There were times when Einstein would speak before a roomful of scientists. There was an awed hush in the room. Imagine Superman tries to strike up a conversation with someone. He says something then asks them what they think about it. Chances are they feel too intimidated to have anything to say. Not because he intended to intimidate them. He didn't. It's just that most people would see him as being far above them. No he does not see it that way. He is more intelligent than an army of einsteins. He can go just about anywhere/anywhen in at least the entire multiverse. Now who would think that they had anything worthwile to contribute in a conversation with? But, if Clark Kent walks up, says something, then asks what they think. They are far more likely to converse with Clark
    Last edited by llozymandias; 12-26-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

I always thought that all of the League were vigilantes except for Aquaman and in some tellings Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    I can think of another use for the secret identity, especially Pre-COIE. Having actual conversations with people. There were times when Einstein would speak before a roomful of scientists. There was an awed hush in the room. Imagine Superman tries to strike up a conversation with someone. He says something then asks them what they think about it. Chances are they feel too intimidated to have anything to say. Not because he intended to intimidate them. He didn't. It's just that most people would see him as being far above them. No he does not see it that way. He is more intelligent than an army of einsteins. He can go just about anywhere/anywhen in at least the entire multiverse. Now who would think that they had anything worthwile to contribute in a conversation with? But, if Clark Kent walks up, says something, then asks what they think. They are far more likely to converse with Clark
    Yes that's what we were talking about. Clark Kent exists so that he can try to live a normal life and have normal relationships

I would have considered that,if superman was this guy that tried to maintain an image that's unapproachable.I don't think this dude is hard to strike conversation with.

Sure,people might have fears at first.But then,if lois can get over it and her cynicism.

Then i am sure everyone else can as well.Keep in mind,I am not saying that secret identity shouldn't exist.I am asking,What is the point of it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes that's what we were talking about. Clark Kent exists so that he can try to live a normal life and have normal relationships

Pretty much.

I would have considered that,if superman was this guy that tried to maintain an image that's unapproachable.I don't think this dude is hard to strike conversation with.

Sure,people might have fears at first.But then,if lois can get over it and her cynicism.

Then i am sure everyone else can as well.Keep in mind,I am not saying that secret identity shouldn't exist.I am asking,What is the point of it now?
    Yes Superman can have some of the private moments we were talking about with Clark Kent, but it's always much more conditioned. When you meet Superman it's like Brad Pitt all of a sudden sharing a burger with you and talking about music. It's really wholesome and cool, but he us still a celebrity. Whereas Clark gets to have raw conversations without expectations. Plus I think an ambitious writer would have Superman as always being in the middle of these huge things. There's a war going on in the West Afroca and Superman isn't sure if ge should intervene, or Ultra humanite is offering to give super powers to everyone im the world, and for Superman to be able to present himself to the world and be involved in these things he must sort of have a specific posture, and it's not easy to come out if that and have private moments when you want people to think you know what you're doing and that you are a focussed person.

Astonishing Member

What a re you talking about? That's been what Superman does since forever, the reason people trust him is beaches he does this. He's ok talking to people, he'll sit down and have a chat with a bystander then fly off when the conversation ends.

Lois gets over it because he opens up to her, she can't do anything unless he stops being cold fish. Please don't blame her for Superman's decision to not be open to her - that's on him. The reason Superman kept his distance for Lois originally was because he didn't want her to figure out his secret identity, which she kept guessing right anyway - and this eventually got thrown out because DC liked them as a couple and the secret identity thing became useless for their interactions.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 12-26-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Chances are that most people would see Superman as a nigh omnipotent God. Very unlikely that they would see him as aproachable. Any attempt he could make (as Superman) to come accross as aproachable, would be likely to backfire. At best it would come accross as condescending. But when he is Clark, people will see him as very aproachable.

Astonishing Member

I am not saying that secret identity shouldn't exist.I am asking,What is the point of it now?
    The point is to have a life that doesn't revolve around the public perception of Superman.

The Superman "identity" exists primarily to do heroic things. As an unintended side-effect it also creates celebrity.

Superman never set out in any media to be a performer. His never ending battle was self imposed, never intended to be something others had input on. He never intended to act in place of any other public service.

So in his perfect world Superman would step in when the police/military could not or would not. He'd save you from a fire, but never intended to take on the job of saving every person in Metropolis that had something catch fire. That is the job of someone like Melody Moore (and even she isn't responsible for dealing with every fire in the city). He'll stop Brainiac because few others can, but has no plans to step in with every robbery/burglary/murder in Metropolis (let alone the world).

As a result he needs a private life. A life where he can have dinner with his family and not worry that someone is going to interrupt dinner because they need his help. That isn't to say he will ignore a major disaster, but more that even Superman needs some downtime where no one is asking him for help on minor problems. But a Superman whose phone number and address are part of the public record is a Superman who is on call 24/7 to anyone who comes calling.

And while your average celebrity might get mobbed by fans or harassed by the paparazzi they also are usually in a profession where that is part of the job they chose. They earn the salary to afford bodyguards, publicists,. etc to provide some buffer. And who exactly can bodyguard Superman? Either the threat is something he can deal with or 99% of the world is outclassed. So the usual steps a celebrity takes because they live in the public eye aren't quite as effective for someone like Superman.

What works best is some form of "secret identity"- maybe not one as elaborate as the classic set-up, but at least one where Clark can take off the "suit" and walk the streets as Joe Average and not have anyone realize Superman walks amongst them. It could be something as basic as J'onn J'onnz taking on a generic human appearance or however Bruce Wayne maintains the facade of Matches Malone without spending time as "Matches" on a regular basis. The purpose of the secret ID is to let Superman do the things non-celebrities do everday.

Another point to the secret ID is the ability to observe things that no one is going to do in front of Superman. In the same way that a restaurant critic will never be able to get an unbiased dining experience if everyone knows him on sight, Clark Kent is never going to be able to be an investigative reporter if everyone he encounters knows they are talking to the world famous Superman. Classic Clark can get people to open up that might never talk to Superman.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 12-26-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Chances are that most people would see Superman as a nigh omnipotent God. Very unlikely that they would see him as aproachable. Any attempt he could make (as Superman) to come accross as aproachable, would be likely to backfire. At best it would come accross as condescending. But when he is Clark, people will see him as very aproachable.
    @if that's the case,why not be clark kent all the time?why be superman at all?if that were really the case there would be no point to superman at all.Also people forget that superman was the trueself for majority of the character's existence.It was the outlet to show what he is.Beneath the thin veneer of white shirt is a circus strongman/gladiator defending the weak.

@Underlined And yet,superman even at his scariest hanging molesters by the belt on some tower or shooting and catching bullets to scare a corrupt war profiteer.He Is able to hold convo with normal folks no problem.Yet,superman at his strongest is able to calm down regan.In that picture as well,he is superman.I mean,condescion would be trying to play their dad/savior and giving speeches/platitudes not backed up by actions and understanding that just feels fake.Champion would always be one of the people,therefore by definition cannot be condescending.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-27-2020 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The point is to have a life that doesn't revolve around the public perception of Superman.

The Superman "identity" exists primarily to do heroic things. As an unintended side-effect it also creates celebrity.

Superman never set out in any media to be a performer. His never ending battle was self imposed, never intended to be something others had input on. He never intended to act in place of any other public service.

So in his perfect world Superman would step in when the police/military could not or would not. He'd save you from a fire, but never intended to take on the job of saving every person in Metropolis that had something catch fire. That is the job of someone like Melody Moore (and even she isn't responsible for dealing with every fire in the city). He'll stop Brainiac because few others can, but has no plans to step in with every robbery/burglary/murder in Metropolis (let alone the world).

As a result he needs a private life. A life where he can have dinner with his family and not worry that someone is going to interrupt dinner because they need his help. That isn't to say he will ignore a major disaster, but more that even Superman needs some downtime where no one is asking him for help on minor problems. But a Superman whose phone number and address are part of the public record is a Superman who is on call 24/7 to anyone who comes calling.

And while your average celebrity might get mobbed by fans or harassed by the paparazzi they also are usually in a profession where that is part of the job they chose. They earn the salary to afford bodyguards, publicists,. etc to provide some buffer. And who exactly can bodyguard Superman? Either the threat is something he can deal with or 99% of the world is outclassed. So the usual steps a celebrity takes because they live in the public eye aren't quite as effective for someone like Superman.

What works best is some form of "secret identity"- maybe not one as elaborate as the classic set-up, but at least one where Clark can take off the "suit" and walk the streets as Joe Average and not have anyone realize Superman walks amongst them. It could be something as basic as J'onn J'onnz taking on a generic human appearance or however Bruce Wayne maintains the facade of Matches Malone without spending time as "Matches" on a regular basis. The purpose of the secret ID is to let Superman do the things non-celebrities do everday.

Another point to the secret ID is the ability to observe things that no one is going to do in front of Superman. In the same way that a restaurant critic will never be able to get an unbiased dining experience if everyone knows him on sight, Clark Kent is never going to be able to be an investigative reporter if everyone he encounters knows they are talking to the world famous Superman. Classic Clark can get people to open up that might never talk to Superman.
    I have already addressed this point.But,i am going to again.Clark knew the minute he stepped into confront the corrupt or help people or whatever itself that he can't be normal.That he was superman.He was either gonna be killed,get in trouble/locked up,infamous(goldenage) or famous .he might not have asked for recognition.But,he is got it.Like the rest of people that deal with this situation,he needs to deal with it as well.So superman gets to lie and do whatever mockery just because he can't handle fame or responsibilty due to his work title/position?why is superman a special case,when a doctor or anyone in high position of influence or position to help not?It's not good enough reasoning for me.The secret id is just there to fill a position that was part of the character in 1938 in name only.Superman's secret id was a way to keep his ears to the ground and to keep his civilian friends from harms way in case the state took action.It can't be any sort of protective measure against his supernatural villains.You said it yourself ,who is good enough to body guard superman(maybe have a bunch of superrobots).The answer,nobody can except superman.If braniac or mongol or mxy or darkseid wanted lois would be dead in seconds.glasses or no glasses.As if the likes of darkseid doesn't know superman has a thing for lois. Heck! even doomsday can sniff out clark to daily planet and smash the whole thing.The only reason i could think of it not happening is because a)plot b) they don't care enough(i can see especially brainiac not caring for some cockroaches).As for not getting paid,he doesn't do it for money remember.he doesn't need anyone to protect him from a mob either.Superman can maintain and manage a crowd no problem.Besides,wally west went public if i remember correctly.Tony stark does his thing no problem as well.I just fail to see reason.I always viewed the id as phase of his life.Not the permanant setup.I always thought clark would come out one day and say."I am superman" and that has happened.

That is true regarding people not opening up to superman,there are times the reverse was true as well.Clark couldn't get a person to open up .So, superman stepped in.Even if that where true,he would have to work around thing and figure it out.If a person isn't opening up to superman.Go undercover for such occasions like normal investigators do.But,that doesn't require him to go full on living a double life.Only during the life time of a mission is such an undercover disguise needed and his friends/family can be in on it or not depending on the need of the mission.He could just ask for a friend to help,in simple occasions.I mean,jimmy's or bibbo are always available.That's why we have a cast.Besides,i am sure lois confronts similar problems.I mean,she is pretty famous herself.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-27-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Like tell me something that Clark would do isif he had a secret identity that would be disrespectful to his friends and co workers (imagining that Jimmy and Lois know who he is)