Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Kathy Kane is awesome and had that great turn in Batman: The Brave and Bold.
    SPOILTAGS: SQUINT
    I see Kathy all the time. Some of the only collected editions I've sprung for are the Morrison Batman run and the Grayson Omnibus. And I smile every time. A smidge different from what the depiction was meant to be in the pure Fifties & Sixties installments, but I still get a kick. That said it's been, what, oh, five years since Grayson ended, yeah? And it ended with Kathy in a decidedly cliffhanger espionage "where she go?" typical vanish maneuver. SPOILOMATIC

My head-canon is ostensibly just the Linearverse, a timeline of pure chronology, so I'm always curious how different eras are reconciled and what costume updates might look like for more pure Silver Age designs. Rendering them in B:TBAB Timmverse-by-way-of-Dick Sprang was awesome but the only adaptation was to the style.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Still more pages from Detective Comics #233 (July 1956):

To be continued . . .
    Since Batman thinks she has such good luck...maybe she should take the alias Lady Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Since Batman thinks she has such good luck...maybe she should take the alias Lady Luck!
    Already taken by a character older than Kathy Kane's Batwoman.

Astonishing Member

Already taken by a character older than Kathy Kane's Batwoman.

yes...but someone else owns the rights to her.

DC/WB/ATT owns the rights to Kathy...and the term 'Lady Luck' should be in the public domain...so...

yes...but someone else owns the rights to her.

DC/WB/ATT owns the rights to Kathy...and the term 'Lady Luck' should be in the public domain...so...
    Lady Luck was a feature strip in the Sunday The Spirit comic sections from Will Eisner, so it might be whoever controls the rights to Eisner's work that still owns the rights to that name / property.

And DC at one point had talked about using Lady Luck in the New52 Justice League (never happened), and there was a "Lady Luck" that appeared in a Dan DiDio-written issue of Phantom Stranger during the New52
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    . . . Lady Luck appeared briefly in an issue of Phantom Stranger. A cameo is pretty lame considering she was on the New 52 Justice League promo image.

However, what appeared as green in the initial issue looked more like dark gray/black when it was published in a tpb collection.

Not sure if Dynamite might have the license for Lady Luck now, since they did pick up the license for The Spirit after DC.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Sheldon Moldoff.

SheldonMoldoffBatwoman.jpg

Astonishing Member

Lady Luck was a feature strip in the Sunday The Spirit comic sections from Will Eisner, so it might be whoever controls the rights to Eisner's work that still owns the rights to that name / property.

And DC at one point had talked about using Lady Luck in the New52 Justice League (never happened), and there was a "Lady Luck" that appeared in a Dan DiDio-written issue of Phantom Stranger during the New52However, what appeared as green in the initial issue looked more like dark gray/black when it was published in a tpb collection.

Not sure if Dynamite might have the license for Lady Luck now, since they did pick up the license for The Spirit after DC.
    I do not understand your argument. I understand DC cannot use Eisner's Lady Luck character.

On the other hand, the name 'Lady Luck' should be public domain like 'Mother Goose' and 'Mrs. Claus'.

I cannot see any reason with DC cannot rename Kathy Kane from Batwoman to Lady Luck.

I do not understand your argument. I understand DC cannot use Eisner's Lady Luck character.

On the other hand, the name 'Lady Luck' should be public domain like 'Mother Goose' and 'Mrs. Claus'.

I cannot see any reason with DC cannot rename Kathy Kane from Batwoman to Lady Luck.
    I don't know if the name is "public domain" or if there is still any copyright on it.

Is the term "superman" in public domain yet? Nietzsche wrote of an "Übermensch" back in the 19th century, and "Übermensch" in English is "Superman".

Astonishing Member

I don't know if the name is "public domain" or if there is still any copyright on it.

Is the term "superman" in public domain yet? Nietzsche wrote of an "Übermensch" back in the 19th century, and "Übermensch" in English is "Superman".
    You're right.

Superman is a word in the dictionary...so I guess you could name a character Super-Man...if he was absolutely nothing like Kal-El! Of course, DC would fight it legally.

I don't know if the Eisner estate could really fight ATT/WB/DC's lawyers.

On the other hand...DC lost the Bumblebee case to Hasbro. So, I guess it could go either way.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 07-05-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'd have loved for Kathy Kane to show up on the CW's Batwoman series and meet Kate. Maybe along the lines of how Morrison depicted her.

But that was then. Now, we'd be lucky if Kate Kane herself gets to appear on that series once in awhile...

Kathy Kane got a variant cover for Kate's book back in 2014.

Fan art.

KKBatwoman.jpg

Kathy leaping into action by Alfredo Caldera.

BatwomanAlfredoCaldera.jpg

Kathy and Bette.

KathyBette.jpg