Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I’d be curious to re-read the first issue with the first appearance of the rolling film format with Supes on the top half of each page and Batman on the bottom half. I also recall some interview early on where they said that you can read it like a traditional comic or top half (Supes) then bottom half (Bats). Another perspective on the story courtesy of the unique format.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

Weird to end it with Batman going "no, alternate universe Martha Wayne is not my mother, I don't need to go looking for the people I love in other universes, my parents are always with me", while Superman is all "of course I want to make out with alternate universe Lois Lane".

Both fun stories, and a worthy epilogue to this storyline. I enjoyed the stories of both parts about the same, but definitely prefer the art of the Superman one.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Really dug the Superman/Spider Lady stuff. And the alternate Bat/Supes signal was pretty great. Awesome art.

Got a good laugh out of Batman riding (and complaining about) the Batcycle sidecar. And yet more gold from Jimmy and Robin. Only one panel but it perfectly captured their dynamic from previous meetings.

Man, I really enjoyed Yang's take. Guy can really weave a great story, in both narration and dialogue. Def will be a well remembered run.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

I have been enjoying the Batman / Superman book , it's really different , it seems like it has a Silver Age feel but modern.
    Read the Annual and it was fun . It's kind of a shame that DC is ending it , as Yang is a good writer and has experience writing Superman.
    I guess that it's not a money maker for DC. Nowadays we don't know DC's sales numbers as we did when they were with Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I have been enjoying the Batman / Superman book , it's really different , it seems like it has a Silver Age feel but modern.
    Read the Annual and it was fun . It's kind of a shame that DC is ending it , as Yang is a good writer and has experience writing Superman.
    I guess that it's not a money maker for DC. Nowadays we don't know DC's sales numbers as we did when they were with Diamond.
    Saleswise I think it’s still doing fine, Yang put out a tweet that said he had to leave the book in order to do another project, and I guess DC decided to cancel rather than get a new writer.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Saleswise I think it’s still doing fine, Yang put out a tweet that said he had to leave the book in order to do another project, and I guess DC decided to cancel rather than get a new writer.
    Seems reasonable enough

Forcing any writer to live up to archive of worlds was a tall order

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman #22 Preview
    Writer: Gene Yuen Lang
    Artist: Paul Pelletier

One last issue from Yang, glad he gets to play with one of Supes’ classic Rogues before moving onto whatever comes next. Always bums me out that he had ideas for what to do with all these classic Rogues that we never got to see because of editorial. I know he explicitly wanted to do something with Brainiac.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I wonder if Bat-Mite will show up.

So, I'm interested in getting this in trade - is it the sort of thing a reader can jump into without having to be up on recent comic events? Is it self-contained enough to be good all by itself? Because it's looked interesting with the whole old timey movie serial-inspired multiverse takes on the heroic duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So, I'm interested in getting this in trade - is it the sort of thing a reader can jump into without having to be up on recent comic events? Is it self-contained enough to be good all by itself? Because it's looked interesting with the whole old timey movie serial-inspired multiverse takes on the heroic duo.
    Yeah you can pick it up and read it without having read any of Williamson’s run or Death Metal imo.

I can confirm that. I haven't read anything from Doom Death Metal story arc from Snyder or Williamson and had zero problems understanding what is going on.

Incredible Member

Supes and BAts having to deal with Mr. Mxyzptlk having an existential crisis and a Calender Man that is clearly out of his depth. I love it already.

Fun ending to a fun run. At the end we get a reminder that Batman/Superman Authority Special is coming, but no hints for any future story lines like we got with Darkseid and films.

Great final issue, Yang playing around with the comic book format one last time! He writes a good Mxy, bummer he didn’t get the chance to do more with the traditional Superman Rogues.