Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Just read #17. Pretty fun issue!

So it turns out the Arkham Asylum warden was Lex Luthor and not Hugo Strange as I'd thought. Amazing what a difference a beard can make...

Loved the continuation of the Trig homework gag

It seems to me that the World of Tomorrow and the World of the Knight were possibly the same world once, and the Archivist split them apart somehow by 'editing' Superman out of WoK and editing Batman and Robin outof WoT. I'm guessing this was accomplished maybe by creating a copy of the world, and saving Martha Wayne in one world while killing baby Kal-El in another. That was the starting point of course. Now whether the Archivist is behind the cross-dimensional secret society, or the secret society evolved 'naturally' due to someone first opening a portal into the other world due to the 'thinning' of reality is left to be seen.

I loved the meta aspect of the Archivist editing and changing things to create the ''perfect world''. It seems like a meta nod to the whole business of retcons and reboots, and probably a sly reference to the whole trend of Director's Cuts and Special Editions as well

Looking forward to the next issue...

Their worlds being same at the start would work well with the very popular idea that "Batman and Superman doesn't make any sense in the same universe". Archivist likely thinks the same and decided to split them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Their worlds being same at the start would work well with the very popular idea that "Batman and Superman doesn't make any sense in the same universe". Archivist likely thinks the same and decided to split them.
    Yeah, its fitting for a Superman/Batman book to make a case for them co-existing.

That said, its clear that the World of the Knight is worse off for Superman not existing...I wonder if we'll learn why the World of Tomorrow is worse off for Batman not existing? Because if we don't get that, it becomes a bit of a one-sided argument in favor of Superman.

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite...2pm-pt/1795987

Hey guys Q&A with Yang coming up soon if any of you have accounts on DCUniverse and want to ask him questions.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman #18 Preview
    Writer: Gene Luen Yang
    Artist: Ivan Reis

I’m really starting to like Auteur, he’s very campy, and of course Lexcorp is tied to his creation lmao.
    We got a Martha moment!
    Really liked how the WoT is such a paradise because of inter dimensional human trafficking and weapons trading with the WoK. That’s an awesome way of giving the “utopia” a darker side.
    Lex is such a bastard he’s even willing to use other Lexes as human guinea pigs, that’s great
    Yang writes a really good Robin
    Bizarro Bruce Wayne is amazing, him ending up as the World of Tomorrow’s Two-Face with half being Bizarro is an insane twist that I love.
    Ok I really love Dr. Atom/Luthor’s motive for all this. Auteur destroys imperfect worlds, so Luthor decided to try to make one world “perfect”, the World of Tomorrow, by shifting all crime and suffering to the World of the Knight so that one Earth could act as a dumpster for all evil. It’s a great twisted way of Lex trying to justify all the evil he commits. Also looks like Atom is from another Earth that got destroyed by demons, that a reference to anything from the serials?
    Great cliffhanger, can’t wait for what comes next!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The retro Superman and Batman are pretty fun.

Great stuff. I also loved two-face-bizzaro combo. As for the demons, #20 promises an encounter with a version of Etrigan so likely that he is responsible for destruction of Luthor's world.

We are also getting an annual that focuses on Knight/Tommorow worlds:

Batman/Superman 2021 Annual #1 is by the series regular writer Gene Luen Yang with art by Paul Pelletier on the Superman side and Francesco Francavilla on the Batman side.

The special serves as an epilogue to the 'Archive of Worlds' story arc and readers of the arc will likely understand the flipbook format.

"In his pursuit of perfection, the godlike Auteur.io sought to create and destroy worlds with the wave of a hand and a flair for the dramatic. But against all odds... the World of the Knight and the World of Tomorrow live on!" reads DC's description.

"The Batman of the noir-tinged streets of Gotham City finds himself stranded in the sunny, retro-futurist World of Tomorrow—and Superman discovers himself in the opposite predicament. With their homeworlds in decay and only one chance to save them, the key to preserving their very existence is but the flip of a coin. Or the flip of this book!"

The flipbook format has the Superman story on one side, and the Batman and Robin story on the other with the stories meeting in the middle.

The issue features two connected flip cover pairings - the main connected covers by Bryan Hitch and a variant connected flip covers by Francavilla.
    Sounds to me that Yang is going to merge these two worlds. I wonder whats the long term plan here? Usually only someone like Morrison would put so much work into stuff that gets left behind few months later. Is this going to continue to be the focus of Batman/Superman series?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

The flipbook format has the Superman story on one side, and the Batman and Robin story on the other with the stories meeting in the middle.
    This formatting sounds really cool. They've gotten really creative with the storytelling in this book, the flip book thing sounds like a great way to wrap up the story. Under a lot of other people's hands this may sound gimmicky but this one is bound to be memorable for sure.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Yeah, if Yang doesn't drop the ball in last couple of issues then I think this story is going straight to my imaginary TOP Superman stories list.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    This formatting sounds really cool. They've gotten really creative with the storytelling in this book, the flip book thing sounds like a great way to wrap up the story. Under a lot of other people's hands this may sound gimmicky but this one is bound to be memorable for sure.
    Yang loves to play with the format of comics, there was that Choose Your Own Adventure bit in Terrifics to cite another book. I really enjoy his ambition in that regard.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yang loves to play with the format of comics, there was that Choose Your Own Adventure bit in Terrifics to cite another book. I really enjoy his ambition in that regard.
    He's such a fun creator. I really hope we continue to see him at DC (and working on the Man of Tomorrow) for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He's such a fun creator. I really hope we continue to see him at DC (and working on the Man of Tomorrow) for a very long time.
    His recent Superman stuff has been killer going back to StK. It consistently gets high praise from critics, fans, and message boards. Not sure about the sales side of things, but I hope hope hope that DC knows what they have here with him on a Superman book.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Just re-read the current issue, love the interaction between Jimmy and Robin. Yang could write a team-up book with those two (and hey, invite Fraction too ).

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen and his Pal Robin: Partners

It is nice to see Jimmy and Robin being active participants in the story, Yang gets the importance of the partnerships for each character.