Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Oh, good point. So Batman's Earth now has two versions of Lois now.

And yeah, I like that Lois will have a bit more focus here than in other books, but still, I was expecting Spider Lady (and unknown wizard) to be its own character.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

And yeah, I like that Lois will have a bit more focus here than in other books, but still, I was expecting Spider Lady (and unknown wizard) to be its own character.
    Totally fair. We are getting an original overarching villain in Auter.io who will be the villain Superman & Batman have to stop.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

The Unknown Wizard, at least, was Luthor in the original serial, so that's at least got precedent.

Astonishing Member

Neat issue! It combined a very classic Golden Age retro-futuristic aesthetic with a dual narrative AND two Elseworld takes on the characters that actually contained some serious surprises! Not to mention a mystery between the two worlds that actually had me intrigued. And all this in the space of a single issue!

Martha as a philantrophist and inventor who's secretely involved in something shady. Alfred as Martha's secret lover AND a version of Bane. A version of Kal-El who died of krytonite poisoning before arriving on earth, with his corpse in the possession of Hugo Strange(?). Lois Lane as the Spider Lady. Yeah, these were some twists I definitely didn't see coming! The "Lois as Spider Lady" thing was literally a reveal hidden in plain sight (taking advantage of how most comic-book characters, particularly females, tend to not be very distinct from each other...especially in old-timey art )

And I loved the whole gag about Robin's Trig homework

So, I'm guessing that the Joker, Penguin and the third guy (named 'Jones') have their counterparts from Superman's world also locked up in Arkham...and they are the 'twins' being experimented on? And that Martha's omni-battery, based on Lex's designs, are derived from the remains of Batman-world's Kal-El? Also, I wonder who is the warden (Hugo Strange?)'s benefactor on Batman's world? Another Luthor? The same guy with the Arctic Fortress?

So many mysteries!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Neat issue! It combined a very classic Golden Age retro-futuristic aesthetic with a dual narrative AND two Elseworld takes on the characters that actually contained some serious surprises! Not to mention a mystery between the two worlds that actually had me intrigued. And all this in the space of a single issue!

Martha as a philantrophist and inventor who's secretely involved in something shady. Alfred as Martha's secret lover AND a version of Bane. A version of Kal-El who died of krytonite poisoning before arriving on earth, with his corpse in the possession of Hugo Strange(?). Lois Lane as the Spider Lady. Yeah, these were some twists I definitely didn't see coming! The "Lois as Spider Lady" thing was literally a reveal hidden in plain sight (taking advantage of how most comic-book characters, particularly females, tend to not be very distinct from each other...especially in old-timey art )

So, I'm guessing that the Joker, Penguin and the third guy (named 'Jones') have their counterparts from Superman's world also locked up in Arkham...and they are the 'twins' being experimented on? And that Martha's omni-battery, based on Lex's designs, are derived from the remains of Batman-world's Kal-El? Also, I wonder who is the warden (Hugo Strange?)'s benefactor on Batman's world? Another Luthor? The same guy with the Arctic Fortress?

So many mysteries!
    The masked guy on Batman's world with the green necklace is probably
    spoilers:

that world's Lex Luthor. He looks based on the Atom Man from the Atom Man vs Superman serial, in which he was revealed to be Luthor at the end too.
    Now that I think about it, it's bizarre how many times Luthor acted as a masked criminal in the original stories. The Atom man, the Wizard, the Light (in the comic books). I mean, it's not that he needed a secret identity as a cover... Even in his first appearance he was a mysterious guy, whose appearance was unknown to everyone, with his own private Zeppelin and an entire city in the clouds (why haven't they ever revamped THAT?)
    end of spoilers
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

So many mysteries!
    I was wondering what the deal was with the “twins” over in Cellblock B, I think you’re right about them being the Superman’s world counterparts that also landed in Batman’s world like Lois does.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This was so good. Very clever not only using the film visual as a layout device, but also it ends up a plot device as well! And I loved all the twists and turns.

Next time someone asks me why I want to go backwards with certain things in the lore (no marriages, no kids, Dick Grayson Robin, etc) I'll just point to this book. Will make my life easier, haha. Its so old its new again to me. Obviously the intentionally cheesy dialogue aside, but it works here because of the intent.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-25-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    The masked guy on Batman's world with the green necklace is probably
    That was actually an old troupe.It wasn't just used by Superman and mysterious villain.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This was so good. Very clever not only using the film visual as a layout device, but also it ends up a plot device as well! And I loved all the twists and turns.

Next time someone asks me why I want to go backwards with certain things in the lore (no marriages, no kids, Dick Grayson Robin, etc) I'll just point to this book. Will make my life easier, haha. Its so old its new again to me. Obviously the intentionally cheesy dialogue aside, but it works here because of the intent.
    Without taking into account that there's finally an interesting-looking Metropolis (straight from Superman TAS) and giant robots.
    Seriously - there should be way, way more giant hulking robots in Superman stories.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

There won't because.They want Superman to be stuck in a world where batman is.Worse superman has to be an american and talk about america itself.Yet,they won't allow superman to talk about america.The character is stuck notallowed to be a allegorical or "real" .He can't be from the continent of laputa with a city called metropolis that is on the back of a giant serpent.His stories can't be on fictional world distinct or similar to us but different with it's own rules.On top of that,They allow batman to do every outlandish fantasy or scifi-ish thing possible.Honestly,Superman has no role anymore.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-26-2021 at 12:23 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Seriously - there should be way, way more giant hulking robots in Superman stories.
    My love for Superman fighting giant robots knows no limits.

As much as I have issues with certain choices in Snyder's Man of Steel, I will always give it credit for providing us with one helluva Superman vs. Giant Robot fight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    My love for Superman fighting giant robots knows no limits.

As much as I have issues with certain choices in Snyder's Man of Steel, I will always give it credit for providing us with one helluva Superman vs. Giant Robot fight.
    Yes, but that battle was so incredibly confusing that I barely remember what happened in it.
    That's one of the few cases in which Snyder should have done MORE slow motion than he did.

Without taking into account that there's finally an interesting-looking Metropolis (straight from Superman TAS) and giant robots.
    I think we need better Superman vs. Kaiju fights.

Interesting, you'd think there would be multiple minis with Superman fighting King Kong, Godzilla, Transformers and other big things, but I'm either blanking on them at the moment or there aren't many "Superman punches big thing" stories around?