Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Interview with Yang about his plans for the series and the new villain Auteur.io: https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview...w-villain/?amp

God I would love to get a BL Superman book from Yang that let him play with the same kind of ideas he was using in SSTK, just in a more mature story.
    I kind of want a Batman equivalent of Smashes the Clan now, or at least a Golden Age Batman story, from Yang.

It's interesting that his go-to for Flash and GL are the Silver Age. Does that mean his preference are Barry and Hal?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Does anyone know any jewelers that can make a ring roughly 6.5 inches in diameter? Asking for a friend.

That friend is me. I want to marry this book. From script to art and everywhere else, this book hits me where I live and I'm so glad we have the dream team of Yang/Reis killing it on every page, every panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of want a Batman equivalent of Smashes the Clan now, or at least a Golden Age Batman story, from Yang.

It's interesting that his go-to for Flash and GL are the Silver Age. Does that mean his preference are Barry and Hal?
    You can have him after I get at least 3 BL Superman books out of DC (good ones because Miller sucked).

Probably, Hal and Barry were the ones who founded “modern” GL and Flash and Yang has a lot of interest in examining these classic stories. Hal though has some very dicey stuff like the racist nickname Tom got called by Hal, “pieface”. If Yang were to do something with Hal he 100% would touch on that I’d guess.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah, reading it I thought that I'd love him to do Brave and the Bold with Hal and Barry.

You can have him after I get at least 3 BL Superman books out of DC
    He is writing new Shang-Chi ongoing for Marvel so lets hope that they won't end up signing him to some exclusive.

Astonishing Member

Yeah definitely. I'd love to see the Golden Age Batman get some love, the way the Golden Age Superman and Wonder Woman have been getting. His role in Generations was a start, but all too brief.

I guess the problem is simply that the Golden Age Batman doesn't have any elements that are considered widely iconic. With Superman you have the Siegal/Shuster Superman who is pretty distinct visually and thematically, the Fleischer cartoons, the radio show (which spawned Superman Smashes the Klan), the movie serials and (arguably) the George Reeves TV show. With Wonder Woman, she was more directly tied to WW2, so you have the simple iconography of her fighting Nazis. Plus the Marston run is lauded historically, and you have a lot of later stories set during WW2, including the first season of the Lynda Carter show, the Legends of Wonder Woman series, the movie (which changes things to WW1 but keeps the spirit of the Golden Age) etc.

With Batman...well, the original suit has a certain distinctiveness I suppose (especially the purple gloves). But that apart there's nothing distinctive about his Golden Age, at least not in any obvious way. The classic Dynamic Duo days are pretty indistinguishable from, say, 60's Batman, both on page and on screen. And the first year of solo adventures does have a certain distinctiveness, but again, later iterations of the character have revised the noir-ish vibe of early Batman and have supplanted it in the popular imagination.

I do think you can make the Golden Age Batman distinctive, but you need to avoid the similarities to, say, BTAS or Year One or Burton's Batman.

I think we need better Superman vs. Kaiju fights.
    The best Superman vs Kaiju fight I've ever seen...was The Arctic Giant. So the 1940s...

You'd think Superman vs giant monster would be an obvious concept, but it's rarely been done much less memorably.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Finally got my copy and yeah... flippin' awesome. Really liked the old (highly) flammable nitrate film ribbon as part of the actual story. Also really liked the "Archive of Worlds" concept (I'm an archivist myself, what can I say )

The Batman scenes had a 60s Adam West vibe in parts. One panel had the classic "Biff! Sock! Pow!" and one had them running towards the viewer like the cartoon sequence that opened up the show. Delightfully cheeky.

Overall an awesome issue, as we all hoped and expected from this team, def did not disappoint. Yang really has a great voice for both characters. Really excited to see where this all goes.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Probably, Hal and Barry were the ones who founded “modern” GL and Flash and Yang has a lot of interest in examining these classic stories. Hal though has some very dicey stuff like the racist nickname Tom got called by Hal, “pieface”. If Yang were to do something with Hal he 100% would touch on that I’d guess.
    Darwyn Cooke and even Johns touched on it with Tom during their revamps on Hal's origin, so it wouldn't surprise me. I think Yang would make Tom a lot more active than he's been as of late if he ever did something with Hal.

Darwyn Cooke and even Johns touched on it with Tom during their revamps on Hal's origin, so it wouldn't surprise me. I think Yang would make Tom a lot more active than he's been as of late if he ever did something with Hal.
    It’s crazy to me that with DC handing out rings to every ethnic group that Tom hasn’t gotten one. He’s indigenous rep, a long standing GL supporting cast member, if they ever add yet another Lantern, he’s the only one I’d accept.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It’s crazy to me that with DC handing out rings to every ethnic group that Tom hasn’t gotten one. He’s indigenous rep, a long standing GL supporting cast member, if they ever add yet another Lantern, he’s the only one I’d accept.
    Someone needs to be the relatively normal one .

Someone needs to be the relatively normal one .
    This. Tom getting a ring is fine with me, but I really hate how far we've moved from civilian supporting casts in superhero comics.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This story got ignored and forgotten by pretty much everyone, but Larry Hama wrote an interesting Tom Kalmaku-centered story in Last Will & Testament of Hal Jordan, during which Tom did indeed get a ring that Hal had entrusted with him.

This was story that brought Kilowog back to life in the long rollback of all things Emerald Twilight.

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman #17 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: Gene Luen Yang
    Artist: Ivan Reis

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

That looks amazing. Reis' facial expressions during Bendis' run were a little off occasionally for me, but here (at least without the dialogue) the storytelling is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

I hope Yang/Reis get to stick together a long time.