Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I actually like that he's not absolutely ruthless.

I don't think Teen Force is supposed to be all that intimidating
    They don't have to be intimidating. They need to be able to handle some pretty tough characters.

To be fair I think Boba was fairly one-dimensional in the films; he seemed in ESB to have little consideration beyond getting Han and delivering him to Jabba in ESB, in ROTJ he doesn't get a lot of dialogue apart from some body language apart from his nod to "Boussh"(and in the SE I guess his flirting with the dancers if you count that?). AOTC showed him to be a bit over enthusiastic over getting Obi-Wan but he was of course rooting for his father. They did briefly toy with the idea of Boba showing up in ROTS to get revenge for his father; a storyline that was eventually put into Clone Wars, although without the Mace Windu death, which became Anakin/Palpatine's doing instead.

A lot of the character's reputation/attitude assumed by some fans seems to mainly come from some parts of the EU (Including Legends which kind of tied itself in knots a few times by trying to give Boba an origin story before the prequels, which then kind of had to revise that a bit when AOTC rolled around). Han and Boba being mortal enemies is largely a product of the EU as well.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-17-2022 at 06:52 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I actually like that he's not absolutely ruthless.
    It doesn't really feel like Boba to me, though. Like just a pacified version of himself.

He felt more dangerous in The Mandalorian.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    To be fair I think Boba was fairly one-dimensional in the films; he seemed in ESB to have little consideration beyond getting Han and delivering him to Jabba in ESB, in ROTJ he doesn't get a lot of dialogue apart from some body language apart from his nod to "Boussh"(and in the SE I guess his flirting with the dancers if you count that?). AOTC showed him to be a bit over enthusiastic over getting Obi-Wan but he was of course rooting for his father. They did briefly toy with the idea of Boba showing up in ROTS to get revenge for his father; a storyline that was eventually put into Clone Wars, although without the Mace Windu death, which became Anakin/Palpatine's doing instead.

A lot of the character's reputation/attitude assumed by some fans seems to mainly come from some parts of the EU (Including Legends which kind of tied itself in knots a few times by trying to give Boba an origin story before the prequels, which then kind of had to revise that a bit when AOTC rolled around). Han and Boba being mortal enemies is largely a product of the EU as well.
    Current comic Boba is a pretty cold, efficient, instrument of his own designs. I was expecting content more in-line with his depiction in War of the Bounty Hunters.

Astonishing Member

Not sure if people know but that scooter gang was based on the Mods from the movie/album Quadrophenia.

https://www.nme.com/wp-content/uploa...t-19.28.33.png

I haven't seen it yet but a friend at work hates it, referring to it as the character assassination of Boba Fett, implying that he's drastically out of character from what he was in ESB and RotJ. Any opinions?
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but a friend at work hates it, referring to it as the character assassination of Boba Fett, implying that he's drastically out of character from what he was in ESB and RotJ. Any opinions?
    Considering Boba Fett has no real characterization to speak of in either film, I'd say it's hyperbolic at best.

This is a Boba Fett who is being transformed by a traumatic experience (or perhaps, several traumatic experiences). It's definitely not going to be to everyone's tastes. I'm enjoying the ride a great deal, even if the most recent episode was overall quite weak. But they've a way to go before I'll say they've stuck the landing and made the journey worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Considering Boba Fett has no real characterization to speak of in either film, I'd say it's hyperbolic at best.

This is a Boba Fett who is being transformed by a traumatic experience (or perhaps, several traumatic experiences). It's definitely not going to be to everyone's tastes. I'm enjoying the ride a great deal, even if the most recent episode was overall quite weak. But they've a way to go before I'll say they've stuck the landing and made the journey worth the time.
    Boba Fett in the OT was nothing more than a cool costume. He had 5 lines and one of them was "Aaaauuggghhhh!" as he died to a 3 stooges gag.

This version is much more interesting.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

He's talking out of his ass.

I could maybe see the point holding water if he said Boba was out of character from the Dark Horse comics...but from the films? There is no character there.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    He's talking out of his ass.

I could maybe see the point holding water if he said Boba was out of character from the Dark Horse comics...but from the films? There is no character there.
    His argument is that, so far, Boba Fett has not killed anyone in the series where he was clearly going to ruthlessly kill Chewbacca in the movies so he thinks Boba has been Disneyfied.

Edit: He's a very nice guy but I realize he may have a head canon about who Boba Fett was and what his motives were in Empire and Jedi.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-18-2022 at 07:42 AM.

His argument is that, so far, Boba Fett has not killed anyone in the series where he was clearly going to ruthlessly kill Chewbacca in the movies so he thinks Boba has been Disneyfied.

Edit: He's a very nice guy but I realize he may have a head canon about who Boba Fett was and what his motives were in Empire and Jedi.
    ...but he ultimately didn't kill Chewbacca, so it's not like we're seeing a real decrease in him killing people. It's definitely a case of someone having a preconceived notion that Star Wars was ruined by Disney and then spouting off nonsense to back up that idea.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm not going to pretend there's a lot of (canon) precedent for Boba's characterization, but I don't really feel we're getting is all that interesting as far as living up to the "Boba Fett" name. His characterization here feels like it bends to the needs of the plot.

Does he mean aiming at Chewbacca in ESB? Not sure if it's a sign of ruthlessness as Boba trying to make sure he gets his 'prize'. (Vader probably stopped him to deescalate the situation).

In ROTJ his target was Luke (Chewie was wounded by somebody on the sail barge, which momentarily distracted Luke and didn't really help Boba's footing either).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Does he mean aiming at Chewbacca in ESB? Not sure if it's a sign of ruthlessness as Boba trying to make sure he gets his 'prize'. (Vader probably stopped him to deescalate the situation).

In ROTJ his target was Luke (Chewie was wounded by somebody on the sail barge, which momentarily distracted Luke and didn't really help Boba's footing either).
    Yeah, that's why I'm saying the guy is talking out of his ass; if he just has a mad on for Disney he should be honest and just say he has an irrational bias rather than making lame justifications that just don't make sense.

That's not to say one can't criticize the show, I think the pacing has been a bit detrimental at times for instance and I hated the car chase...but Boba Fett is out of character in comparison to the films? That's just not a claim that holds up.

Yeah, that's why I'm saying the guy is talking out of his ass; if he just has a mad on for Disney he should be honest and just say he has an irrational bias rather than making lame justifications that just don't make sense.

That's not to say one can't criticize the show, I think the pacing has been a bit detrimental at times for instance and I hated the car chase...but Boba Fett is out of character in comparison to the films? That's just not a claim that holds up.
    As I said, I think he has a "head canon" that, unlike Mando, Boba Fett was a ruthless bounty hunter who did whatever it took and never went back on the bounty once hired. I suspect (though I haven't seen it yet) that he thinks, "Well, it worked for Mando so let's do that". I can only guess he thinks a bounty hunter who never kills anybody (or sets out to) is Disneyfied.

He mostly agrees with my assessments of stuff. Episodes 7, 8. 9: lacking and, more importantly, derivative. Rogue One: Very good. Mandalorian: Fantastic. But he is of the opinion that Mandalorian was great because it was meant to be just a streaming show they never thought would be a bigger sensation and give them two characters arguably more popular than characters in the new movies so Disney gave a lot of creative freedom BUT now they know the gold they've got so they are directly taking charge and screwing things up.

This is probably just a rationalization to like a Disney version of SW without giving Disney any credit. It is more reasonable to think Disney has looked at the compliments and complaints about their SW, considered the valid from the "Never like any change" and experimented with course correction on a smaller testing stage.

Extraordinary Member

Bobo Fett is pretty much a blank slate as far as character goes.

Whatever characterization he did have was mostly confined to the expanded universe novels and ( apparently) the Xmas Special.

If someone is going to run that line of BS, they should at least take it to it's logical conclusion: ask for an Aeon Flux like show where Boba dies at the end of every episode due to a jet pack related accident.