Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    As I said, I think he has a "head canon" that, unlike Mando, Boba Fett was a ruthless bounty hunter who did whatever it took and never went back on the bounty once hired. I suspect (though I haven't seen it yet) that he thinks, "Well, it worked for Mando so let's do that". I can only guess he thinks a bounty hunter who never kills anybody (or sets out to) is Disneyfied.

He mostly agrees with my assessments of stuff. Episodes 7, 8. 9: lacking and, more importantly, derivative. Rogue One: Very good. Mandalorian: Fantastic. But he is of the opinion that Mandalorian was great because it was meant to be just a streaming show they never thought would be a bigger sensation and give them two characters arguably more popular than characters in the new movies so Disney gave a lot of creative freedom BUT now they know the gold they've got so they are directly taking charge and screwing things up.

This is probably just a rationalization to like a Disney version of SW without giving Disney any credit. It is more reasonable to think Disney has looked at the compliments and complaints about their SW, considered the valid from the "Never like any change" and experimented with course correction on a smaller testing stage.
    It's that kind of thinking that's just so dumb...Disney invested literally millions of dollars in just developing the technology needed to film the Mandalorian never mind the money then spent on writing, filming and paying the actors and crew and if he thinks that with that kind of money invested that the Mouse wasn't involved then I have a mountain chain in Kansas for him for a great price.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's that kind of thinking that's just so dumb...Disney invested literally millions of dollars in just developing the technology needed to film the Mandalorian never mind the money then spent on writing, filming and paying the actors and crew and if he thinks that with that kind of money invested that the Mouse wasn't involved then I have a mountain chain in Kansas for him for a great price.
    That and, truthfully, from just ESB and RotJ, how can that be anyone's favorite character? The guy has four lines in two movies? Five if you count "Aaaaiiiieeee". It reminds me of a guy on-line who was undergoing "emotional trauma" because there was a character on "Buffy" that was killed off, a character that had two appearances and only spoke two lines.

As I said, I think that sort of character allows a certain type of mentality to create, in his own mind, what that character was and then, when the character gets fleshed out and he's not that character he invented in his own mind...
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    His argument is that, so far, Boba Fett has not killed anyone in the series where he was clearly going to ruthlessly kill Chewbacca in the movies so he thinks Boba has been Disneyfied.

Edit: He's a very nice guy but I realize he may have a head canon about who Boba Fett was and what his motives were in Empire and Jedi.
    He's also wrong. Boba disintegrated a guy in the very first episode, for Heaven's sake.

Ultimate Member

Do people just want a mindless killer as the main lead? He needs to have some humanity to be a fleshed-out protagonist?

latest episode was a huge improvement over the last and probably the strongest episode yet. The pacing moved much more quickly here while still delivering some solid characterization for Boba, Fenec and surprisingly Black Krrstan while also having a lot of action too.

Was it just me or did they tease a Mando appearance at the end? When Fenec said muscle could be paid for they plaid the Mandolorian theme, I don't know if we necessarily need him here on the show but it would certainly be fun.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

latest episode was a huge improvement over the last and probably the strongest episode yet. The pacing moved much more quickly here while still delivering some solid characterization for Boba, Fenec and surprisingly Black Krrstan while also having a lot of action too.

Was it just me or did they tease a Mando appearance at the end? When Fenec said muscle could be paid for they plaid the Mandolorian theme, I don't know if we necessarily need him here on the show but it would certainly be fun.
    I can't be sure yet. I thought it was just a reference

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Ehh, Boba merced like two dozen people in this last episode rather ruthlessly.

I think he’s fine.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Maybe it was supposed to subvert expectations?
    Sure, but that doesn't necessarily make for a better story. On one hand, you have Ned Stark's fate which was unexpected and added to the story, this was just underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't think that this will be the last that we will see of Black Krrysantan. At least I hope not.
    No, I didn't think it was, but it seemed unlikely that we'd get to see Boba in full armor square off against him. Now they're going to be allies, so we'll likely never get to see that epic fight. (like how Fenec faced off against Cad Bane competing for a bounty with all their weapons, wits and fists in "Bad Batch")

Yeah, the music cue definitely implies he'll be showing up, though I wish they had actually just surprised us with it. (and maybe it's all over the internet or something, but I hadn't heard it so that surprise would have been nice)

I feel silly for not realizing until this ep that the "mod gang" was a double-entendre based on their modifications.(I already figured about the 60's mod vespa kids ... Mos Espa... vespa....I see what they did there....)

Fenec's line doubting the biker gang took out the Tuskens makes me think the Pykes did it and just used their symbol to frame them.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-19-2022 at 09:01 AM.

So I guess it's possible the EV-929 was the same one from ROTJ although canonically it was last seen working at Mos Eisley cantina. Maybe moonlighting?

The other two cook droids are from the prequel era-The bunny eared droid appeared frequently in Clone Wars; the cook droid was from AOTC, the brief Freighter scene where it tells R2 "No droids, get out of here!".

We also of course see Jabba's garage, presumabely that's where the Sail Barge also was parked at times.

Passage of time is still a bit weird since Mandalorian is set 5 years after ROTJ and therefore the Boba flashback stuff from this episode are within the same rough time frame. I guess it either means he hung out with the Tuskens for 5 years or was stuck in the Sarlacc for a while before regaining consciousness.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-19-2022 at 09:34 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Passage of time is still a bit weird since Mandalorian is set 5 years after ROTJ and therefore the Boba flashback stuff from this episode are within the same rough time frame. I guess it either means he hung out with the Tuskens for 5 years or was stuck in the Sarlacc for a while before regaining consciousness.
    I found that curious as well. It makes the most sense that he spent years with with the Tuskens, but I'm not sure when the biggest time jump happened.
    -- He couldn't have been in the pit for that long - he would have died just from dehydration before anything else.
    -- Then he's found by the Tuskens and ... eventually wins their respect. I don't think that chunk was too long either. No way Boba let himself be their slave for years.
    -- After that, we see him in the tribe, but he's still learning how to fight with the gaffe stick. Unless they waited years to begin training him, I don't think it would have taken him years to advance in stick fighting skill.
    -- Then all the train stuff happens right after. Again I don't see a time for years to have passed during this. (it'd be funny if it took the Tuskens years to learn how to ride those bikes, but I doubt it)
    -- We see Boba traveling to the Pykes to tell them about the train tithe and how they now own that territory. I don't imagine Boba waited years to inform the Pykes of their claim on the land or that he travelled for years.

So what am I missing? When during all this did years go by? Was he in the desert for years scoping out Jabba's palace before running into Fenec?

Also, from the new ep - why did Boba look for his armor in the Sarlacc? (when we first saw him fly up, I thought he was just going to do a fly-by and drop a bomb in its mouth without pausing) Hadn't he seen Mando with it? Perhaps Boba's watching him in that scene was just coincidental and Boba didn't even notice his armor?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-19-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I found that curious as well. It makes the most sense that he spent years with with the Tuskens, but I'm not sure when the biggest time jump happened.
    -- He couldn't have been in the pit for that long - he would have died just from dehydration before anything else.
    -- Then he's found by the Tuskens and ... eventually wins their respect. I don't think that chunk was too long either. No way Boba let himself be their slave for years.
    -- After that, we see him in the tribe, but he's still learning how to fight with the gaffe stick. Unless they waited years to begin training him, I don't think it would have taken him years to advance in stick fighting skill.
    -- Then all the train stuff happens right after. Again I don't see a time for years to have passed during this. (it'd be funny if it took the Tuskens years to learn how to ride those bikes, but I doubt it)
    -- We see Boba traveling to the Pykes to tell them about the train tithe and how they now own that territory. I don't imagine Boba waited years to inform the Pykes of their claim on the land or that he travelled for years.

So what am I missing? When during all this did years go by?

Also, from the new ep - why did Boba look for his armor in the Sarlacc? Hadn't he seen Mando with it? Perhaps Boba's watching him in that scene was just coincidental and Boba didn't even notice his armor?
    I think he definitely spent years just living regular Tuscan life before the issue with the train and the Pikes comes up, it just makes the most sense. And as for his armor Mando didn't have it yet when Boba first sees him; unless I missed something the flashbacks only go up to just after the fifth episode of Mandalorian and Mando didn't get the armor until the first episode of the second season.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-19-2022 at 02:34 PM.

I think he definitely spent years just living regular Tuscan life before the issue with the train and the Pikes comes up, it just makes the most sense. And as for his armor Mando didn't have it yet when Boba first sees him; unless I missed something the flashbacks only go up to just after the fifth episode of Mandalorian and Mando didn't get the armor until the first episode of the second season.
    Okay thanks - I just misremembered the timing for Boba's cameo on "Mandalorian."
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-19-2022 at 03:42 PM.

I really hope this was the last of the flashbacks as they're really killing the pacing of the story

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I really hope this was the last of the flashbacks as they're really killing the pacing of the story
    I like the flashbacks so far

I agree it just feels like the series as a whole is moving at a snails pace due to so much time being devoted to them, almost wish they'd had an episode or two entirely devoted to them or that the series had been released all at once instead of the episodic format