Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    …And yeah, I can’t help but notice that Grogu’s a damn Mupoet Baby who doesn’t even talk, but the character benefitted more from hanging around Luke for one episode than Rey did for an entire movie with Rian Johnson’s shitty pretentious writing.
    But it's not like they started from the same place. Look at all the shit Grogu's already done with the Force.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But it's not like they started from the same place. Look at all the shit Grogu's already done with the Force.
    That’s actually pretty comparable to Rey from TFA. But I’m not talking about the lore based, pseudo-RPG elements of “how to upgrade your Force powers.”

I’m talking about writing characters for a larger story, which is arguably much more important for quality of storytelling.

What mattered here isn’t the techniques Luke uses to teach Grogu - what matters is the focus Luke puts on Grogu, the way the directing and writing use that to put *our* focus on Grogu, and how Luke’s education of Grogu allows us to examine Grogu more as a character, and to integrate Grogu as an official “Student of Luke Skywalker” in a multi-generational story while also allowing Grogu’s story to be more central to our future speculation and interest in these D+ shows than Luke’s.

In contrast, Rian Johnson effectively hijacked Rey's second film and made her a prop for the purposes of a story based and focused on Luke and Kylo. Rey was used to put focus on those two guys, often to the detriment of any worthwhile POV or story for her herself x even if one enjoyed the story, let’s not pretend that Johnson particualrly wanted or care did you were interested in Rey’s story - she was some obligatory character he found almost exclusively useful for salivating over what a Ben Solo story could have been like instead, or to use to make Luke’s bullshit cowardice and selfishness be our primary focus.

*How* a character learns to use the Force isn’t actually anywhere near as important as *why* we’re watching a character learn to use the Force; Rey herself benefitted more from hanging around Han in TFA than she did from Luke in TLJ, without any Force stuff at all between them, simply because Han was used to better her and Finn’s story.

The difference is that Grogu’s going to emerge as a more intriguing and interesting character from his time with Luke, even though he’s a film prop that doesn’t speak, while Rey entered a story with Luke actually pretty developed and with an actress who knew how to bring her to life… only for the character to exit less intriguing, les interesting, and even less developed, because Johnson instead focused on using the actess’s skills for much more pretentious, toxic, and other-character focused storytelling.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Kind of curious about the planet featured in most of the episode. While I think it's hinting that it will be the site of the Temple Ben destroys (or did he?) it also looks a great deal like Ajan Kloss, the planet in ROS where the Resistance base took place and it was stated where Luke trained Leia for a time.

Also for BAD BATCH fans look like there's going to be a rematch. Also wonder if they'll have some nod to the unfinished Fett/Bane bounty hunter story from Clone Wars as well. Maybe a flashback with CG'd Daniel Logan? Seeing as how well done it was this time around....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-02-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of curious about the planet featured in most of the episode. While I think it's hinting that it will be the site of the Temple Ben destroys (or did he?) it also looks a great deal like Ajan Kloss, the planet in ROS where the Resistance base took place and it was stated where Luke trained Leia for a time.

Also for BAD BATCH fans look like there's going to be a rematch. Also wonder if they'll have some nod to the unfinished Fett/Bane bounty hunter story from Clone Wars as well. Maybe a flashback with CG'd Daniel Logan? Seeing as how well done it was this time around....
    They’re building a domed building like the one seen in Luke’s flashback, and they’ve got the workforce to build a larger building… but it seems a bit short for what we saw in the flashbacks.

I’m betting it’s the same deal.

…I just hope they let Luke train some other students and “Ahsoka”-them off screen and away from the brat when he arrives.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Wow it's Mando's world. Boba Fett is just a squirrel trying to get a nut. Cad Bane was awesome.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-02-2022 at 12:11 PM.

They’re building a domed building like the one seen in Luke’s flashback, and they’ve got the workforce to build a larger building… but it seems a bit short for what we saw in the flashbacks.

I’m betting it’s the same deal.

…I just hope they let Luke train some other students and “Ahsoka”-them off screen and away from the brat when he arrives.
    Be kind of funny if Mando's "bench" eventually becomes Ben's bed...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Be kind of funny if Mando's "bench" eventually becomes Ben's bed...
    I don’t want to see Ben at the temple ever again unless he’s falling face first into bantha dung the entire time. He’s the shitstain on Star Wars right now.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Man, that was an awesome episode. Once again Boba got the shaft but I can't fault them too much because there were so many great moments to be had.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

Can you dislike a show for ignoring the titular character two episode in a row and at the same time love an episode so much for giving me everything I love about Star Wars? Strange.

The saddest part is I know I'm not going to like the last episode because I have yet to like any episode directed by Robert Rodriguez, Maybe he'll surprise me.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Grogu’s flashback has an interesting Easter egg:

Apparently, the room that the three Jedi are standing in front of and defending, that Grogu remembers blacking out in when the clones point *above* his head and rushed forward, has a crest visible on two sides.

Bariss Offee’s crest.

…Maybe she was imprisoned in the temple, rescued Grogu, and will emerge as Ahsoka’s opponent in her own series?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Apparently, the room that the three Jedi are standing in front of and defending, that Grogu remembers blacking out in when the clones point *above* his head and rushed forward, has a crest visible on two sides.

Bariss Offee’s crest.

…Maybe she was imprisoned in the temple, rescued Grogu, and will emerge as Ahsoka’s opponent in her own series?
    I would hope that they could reconcile rather than being enemies
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Some spoilers for today's episode:

spoilers:
    * Anybody else wondering where Luke got Yoda's lightsaber? Last we saw of it, Palpatine blasted it out of Yoda's hand in the Senate chamber. I doubt he had time to find it before escaping.
    * That deputy is dead, but I'm pretty sure Cobb was only wounded. He'll be back.
    * The Luke CGI has really improved, though it got a bit dodgy at the lake when Grogu was training with the remote. But his voice seemed... off. Like they were putting Mark's voice though a filter to make it sound younger, and instead it came off a bit stilted. Still, I got a real joy seeing post-RotJ Luke finally training a student.
    end of spoilers

I think maybe Palpatine found it and kept it perhaps as a trophy of a defeated enemy. Luke did a sort of Jedi archaeological thing in the trilogy gap in addition to this (Search for Exegol for example) so maybe he found it in one of the Emperor's vaults or something.

Astonishing Member

I mean I don't think Book of Boba is a great show but they sure give ya a lot to geek out on if your a Star Wars fan

Bariss Offee’s crest.

This is actually fairly likely. She was never seen dead in either the show or the movies (Her master is a different story)-there was a death scene planned for ROTS but it was deleted. Filoni said he did have plans for the character as well hence her not dying in "Wrong Jedi"....and just a few days ago there are rumors about her being in the Ashoka show.