Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    ...So Anakin shouldn't be able to show up unless he had that training. (Of course, you see him at the end of RoTJ because they hadn't thought of this plot point yet. Let's just assume Yoda and Obi Wan brought him along for the ride).
    Vader had a lot of time to contemplate his mortality. His motivation to overcome death could have lead him to the same techniques that Qui-Gon discovered, and we all know Anakin was strong with the Force. Not like he had a social life - it wouldn't surprise me if he could have discovered it on his own. Confirmation of that would be nice though.

***MINOR SPOILERS FOR BoBF FINALE***
    -- I thought it was alright, but I wasn't expecting much more than what we got. The writing on this show has been fairly simple as crime dramas go.
    -- There's way too much time spent with the good guys shooting at the battledroids for no reason. It's clear shooting has no effect, so it's pointless and there's no drama to it other than to give them something to do.
    -- Fennec has a nice "Leon: the Professional" sequence.
    -- Interesting variation on the theme song at the end. Not sure if I like it or if it's just goofy...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-09-2022 at 08:01 AM.

This is the first appearence of the Scorpinek (Basically super Droidekas) in regular canon-before I think there were limited to the reference books, which in turn were based on concept art for the prequels for the new battle droid designs used in AOTC and ROTS but never used on screen. They don't even show up in Clone Wars, oddly enough.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I enjoyed the finale. Nice to see the closing episode place some solid focus on Fett in several key scenes.

I'm not going to bother with spoiler tag. If you came in here without watching the finale first that is on you. You should know better.

Is Cad Bane dead? Seems a waste to have him for only two episodes.

Nice to see that Cobb Vanth is in the Bacta Tank and not going to be dead. I forsee Vanth being the emissary for Fett next season. Keeping law/order while he and Fennec have other, possibly off world, adventures.

So Grogu made his choice (forced imo by Luke) and we are ready for Mandalorian S3 now.

I feel taken as a whole the first season was well done. I'd grade it a strong B+
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Swiss army nerd

Would have loved to have loved this show, but man it was a mess. Structurally, story-wise, dialogue, the works. What was Boba's motivation? How did he change or what did he learn in the course of the show? Why the sudden pivot to "these are my people" folk hero stuff? How did he think he'd run a criminal empire with just him and Fennec? Why were there two random episodes of the Mandalorian in there? Why won't they stop using Luke as a crutch? Why the stock dialogue "can't this thing go any faster?" etc? Why spend episodes on the Tuscans only to wipe them out and have them play little role but to drive a few seconds of tension in the finale? Why did Boba say stuff like "The Tuscans took me in" when they started off by enslaving him and only treated him well when he proved useful? Why drop a really great live action Cad Bane only to waste him on those two episodes only?

I think there could have been a great show here about Boba's face turn, his past associates (Bane) and activities catching up to him, his change of heart brought on by the Tuscans...but we never got it, and we didnt have the space to get it because we got two episodes of another show. Whole thing feels like a lot of first drafts, they ran out of time and threw in some Mando episodes they already had written. Absolutely baffling decisions from episode one to the finale.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I enjoyed the finale but not as much as the last two episodes. I loved all the moments with Din and Grogu. I could feel the tears flowing when Grogu gave him a hug. Grogu snuggling up to the rancor was too cute.

Why won't they stop using Luke as a crutch? .
    You are going to have to explain this one to me. Luke was used to push Grogu story forward. All of Luke's stuff last episode revolve around Grogu.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You are going to have to explain this one to me. Luke was used to push Grogu story forward. All of Luke's stuff last episode revolve around Grogu.
    I think Luke showing up in Mandalorian S2 was great. I think they earned that, it was built up to after two seasons of sharp focus on Din. I still wish they hadn't done it, I'd like to see an SW product without a Jedi, but they at least earned it. But luke showing up in Boba Fett felt like a lack of discipline, like giving us dessert when we haven't eaten our vegetables. The more they use Luke, and Luke will always bring in the viewers and the hot takes, the more they cheapen him and lessen the impact he has. He showed up in a series that took 2 episodes out of its main arc just to show him off.

I think SW at the moment has a lack of confidence in telling new stories and so they'll always resort to throwing in a Jedi. There hasn't been a single SW product without a force user of some kind showing up. Maybe using Luke as a crutch wasn't the right way to phrase it - though they definitely showed a lack of restraint in using him - but rather using the Jedi and the force as 'ol reliable. There really wasn't a huge need for grogu to even be force sensitive in order to build he and mandos relationship, but they just can't help themselves but connect everything in an enormous universe to one small fraction and one family.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I think Luke showing up in Mandalorian S2 was great. I think they earned that, it was built up to after two seasons of sharp focus on Din. I still wish they hadn't done it, I'd like to see an SW product without a Jedi, but they at least earned it. But luke showing up in Boba Fett felt like a lack of discipline, like giving us dessert when we haven't eaten our vegetables. The more they use Luke, and Luke will always bring in the viewers and the hot takes, the more they cheapen him and lessen the impact he has. He showed up in a series that took 2 episodes out of its main arc just to show him off.

I think SW at the moment has a lack of confidence in telling new stories and so they'll always resort to throwing in a Jedi. There hasn't been a single SW product without a force user of some kind showing up. Maybe using Luke as a crutch wasn't the right way to phrase it - though they definitely showed a lack of restraint in using him - but rather using the Jedi and the force as 'ol reliable. There really wasn't a huge need for grogu to even be force sensitive in order to build he and mandos relationship, but they just can't help themselves but connect everything in an enormous universe to one small fraction and one family.
    I think I understand.

The problem though is that Jedi are intrinsically woven into pretty much all the older characters to one degree or another. Boba, Bo-Katan, the Armourer, Cad, the Wookiee bounty hunter (because I can’t spell his name), etc……even the planet of Tatooine. Fennec was hired by the people who made the Clones (who served Jedi) and even hunted Boba’s sister. They all knew of or know someone who knows Jedi.

The Hutts aren’t in power there because a later quasi-Jedi and her friends killed him even.

To remove Jedi (and force sensitives in general) is a hard crutch to leave behind, because when someone thinks of Star Wars the first thought is generally a lightsaber or a Jedi/Sith. Hell, even Solo the movie had to have an appearance of a Force user (Maul), and that story was as removed from the Force as possible.

Honestly, the closest you’ll come is Bad Batch (outside the first episode) because Jedi/Sith are simply to inter-woven into the Star Wars universe.

Mind, I like seeing them myself, but I do admit it’s a crutch.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

^Not to mention Boba pretty much set off a massive series of events by telling Vader the name of a certain Yavin pilot with some connection to Obi-Wan in the Marvel Star Wars comic series.

Just me or did Cad (Whose face I guess might've been a mixture of CG and animatronics?) seem to copy a lot of Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" facial expressions here more than the Clone Wars/Bad Batch? The way his mouth moved, teeth gritting etc.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-09-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think there could have been a great show here about Boba's face turn, his past associates (Bane) and activities catching up to him, his change of heart brought on by the Tuscans...but we never got it, and we didnt have the space to get it because we got two episodes of another show. Whole thing feels like a lot of first drafts, they ran out of time and threw in some Mando episodes they already had written. Absolutely baffling decisions from episode one to the finale.
    I agree. All the elements are there if you look at the outline of what the show seems to want to do and the arc they had for Fett, but the execution didn't really produce the drama of the story they wanted to tell. We're told Boba has found value in community and he keeps saying he won't abandon the people, but we're told over and over that the people would be fine as long as the spice keeps running. They were in no danger until Fett started stirring the pot. Other than the presumption that "drugs are bad," we're not really shown the cost of the Spice trade and why the people need Fett to "protect" them. They say it and we're just supposed to believe it, but they never gave us an emotional investment in Boba's stance, or what he's fighting for.

It's also funny how Star Wars really has no intention of giving up the silly sci-fi cliche of "the whole planet is just this one place." At least they gave us a few towns, but we're going to buy that the "war" for control of a planet was fought by a hundred people total? If anyone ever thinks Star Wars isn't just expensive live action cartoons (albeit well-made)...

Extraordinary Member

When has this franchise NOT been Jedi Centric? The rogue's aside Star Wars has always been like this.

It's even worse if you consider the video games.

I don't mind force users being in my star wars. Though I would like to see different applications for the force. Like how nightsisters use the dark side for magic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree. All the elements are there if you look at the outline of what the show seems to want to do and the arc they had for Fett, but the execution didn't really produce the drama of the story they wanted to tell. We're told Boba has found value in community and he keeps saying he won't abandon the people, but we're told over and over that the people would be fine as long as the spice keeps running. They were in no danger until Fett started stirring the pot. Other than the presumption that "drugs are bad," we're not really shown the cost of the Spice trade and why the people need Fett to "protect" them. They say it and we're just supposed to believe it, but they never gave us an emotional investment in Boba's stance, or what he's fighting for.
    They're in no danger? Really? From heavily armed gangsters moving illegal drugs across the planet? Not to mention the effects of said drugs on the community at large? That's a hot take.

The Syndicates word is worth Bantha poodoo, for a start. So I wouldn't take them at it. Notice how every single time in this show that one of the criminal factions made a promise they broke it? Yeah, go back and check. Every single time. Except for Fett.

Keep in mind, these people murdered an entire tribe of Tuskens just to keep their profits up. You think they wouldn't burn Mos Espa to the ground, with everyone still in it, if there were credits in it?

I also disagree with you that Fett's arc was poorly executed. They didn't have long, drawn out conversations about his emotional state, but they weren't exactly subtle. In the bacta tank, Fett has too kinds of visions/memories. Brief glimpses of his dad (always leaving) and the Tuskens who saved his life. Boba has always craved family. His dad wasn't as present as he could have been, and then died brutally doing a job for somebody else who didn't care if he lived or died once his purpose was served. Boba became a mercenary because that was his role model. But the Tuskens showed him a different way. A community, working together to keep each other strong and healthy. He learned honor. To stand for something not because somebody pays you to do it, but because you believe in it and view it as the right thing to do.

Boba became a better man than his father.

When the Tuskens were slaughtered as part of an underworld squabble Boba realized that his two worlds were in conflict. And always will be. So, he combined the two. By attempting to exert control over Jabba's throne, Boba is attempting to limit the damage done by the criminals of Tatooine.

Early on, Boba puts it in the terms he understands. He's got no sense of how to do what he really wants to do, all he knows is crime lords and bounty hunters. As he himself says at the end of the show, he's not suited to this. In a real way it goes against his very nature. But being a better man sometimes means doing things that are hard and go against the grain.

well overall it was a step down from the mando series, marred by bad pacing for the most part, but it still had moments and I'd say ended on a strong note at least. Also served as a nice bridge for the next Mando series spoilers:
    Farewell Cad Bane
    end of spoilers

So did Cad Bane train Boba? From their second dialogue exchange Bane talked to Boba as if he mentored him in being a bounty hunter. Curious that the duel they had in the clone wars era was never referenced.