Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

This show was so uneven, and I'm not even sure why it was made in the first place (I guess it's a lot easier to spin-off Boba Fett from Mandalorian rather than go straight into a Jedi show, but it felt like everything directly related to Boba Fett could've been a subplot in the Mandalorian), but I enjoyed every episode. The action in this one was pretty amazing. We get the Boba Fett vs. Cad Bane fight, Krrsantan being a badass, and that rancor going crazy.

I think I was expecting a bit more darkness or an edge to the series and the ending. Yeah, we got Fennec assassinating all those dudes, but we also have Peli wisecracking and Grogu being cute. Not that I'd want Grogu to be eaten by the rancor, but it would have been nice if that was a possibility.

I wonder how long it would take to clean all the hair out of the bacta tank after Krssantan uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Interesting variation on the theme song at the end. Not sure if I like it or if it's just goofy...
    It feels like the "Boba Fett" chanting was part of the original song and then they toned it down for the series and then said screw it and threw it back in in the last episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why did they bring that Twi'lek guy with them? Do they have so few people that they couldn't leave anyone to watch him? He didn't even really do anything important. I'm amazed he survived this and might hook up with Peli.
    They had him for diplomatic purposes...and to prove they were long past diplomacy.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like Boba finally showed up in the last episode. But it was too little too late. This ep had great action except for the bossk guys pile on Krssantan. That was kinda silly. But in the end the show really didn't do anything for Fett.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I feel like Boba finally showed up in the last episode. But it was too little too late. This ep had great action except for the bossk guys pile on Krssantan. That was kinda silly. But in the end the show really didn't do anything for Fett.
    And every scene that the useless mods were in. I was actively rooting against them and their dumb mopeds.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    And every scene that the useless mods were in. I was actively rooting against them and their dumb mopeds.
    Admittedly they weren't a good fit for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Honestly, the biggest problems with BoBF were 1) too subtle with it's purpose and probably poorly executed expression of it's themes since most people seem to have missed them and 2) fan expectations of what the show SHOULD HAVE BEEN. They never tried to tell a story about crime lord Boba Fett because that's not what this story is, or ever was. But that's the show most people seem to have expected and they aren't taking that well. (Aside from what I think are legitimately fair criticisms of the the execution, because I do think that went awry along the way as well.)
    I pretty much agree with your assessment here, but in all fairness, the show was setting us up to think this was going to be a "crime drama" in Star Wars (there are certainly a lot of crime movie references), so fan expectation wasn't out of nowhere. I also think there's a contingent of fans that were expecting a whole series of Boba Fett just "kickin' ass and taking names" even though Star Wars has never been about tough guys or reveling in violence.

That said, I've been critical of this show and its execution, but I did have fun and I want to point out the storytelling that did work for me:
    -- The theme of the show is a strong one and they used their metaphors well, even if it was a bit at the expense of using Fett to show us dramatically. People have been jumping on the Mando stuff being shoe-horned in, but those sequences function as the bookend to the Tusken flashbacks - telling us the past and future of Fett's journey. What was the climax of Grogu/Din's episode? Choose: the weapon or the armor. This is Fett's journey. How many times did Bane say the word "armor" in his dozen lines? Bane keeps calling Fett a killer, but even though he kills, he's now a protector.(out of honor, he's not just selling protection this time) What's he protecting? His "people" - his tribe. We see Grogu's flashback, where he lost his connection, before he was left alone. (it's why the flashback cuts off before we see who saved him - just as we saw Din's flashback losing his family tons of times until they finally showed us who saved him) It parallels Fett's flashbacks of his dad leaving. Din and Grogu have that connection now and shows us where Fett is headed. The little ball that passes between them expresses that connection - just as Fett tossing Santo the fruit at the end. He has found his tribe. And the cuter than cute image of Grogu sleeping with the Rancor is there to show us Fett's resolution. Grogu in his new armor resting with the beast that's raised for killing and assumed to be a monster, but is actually capable of having a very strong connection - Fett's past now reconciling with his future as a whole person at peace with himself.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-11-2022 at 10:33 AM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

So... I can safely say that to my mind, this is the worst live action Star Wars since Attack of the Clones. It's such an unmitigated mess that it makes the sequel trilogy look like the epitome of careful planning and of crafting a singular vision. The Mando stuff was good, but that was basically a completely different show, and it was hurt just by association to the rest of the show. Also, Luke forcing what is basically an infant into choosing between being a Jedi and going back to his father figure because he insists on carrying on the whole "no attachments" thing despite having loads of attachments himself was stupid beyond words. Mando and Baby Yoda did need to reunite, but it felt so unearned.

As for the Boba Fett bits of the Book of Boba Fett, what a complete and utter disaster. Morrison is far too uncharismatic and wooden to carry a show and Fett is given zero motivation for doing the things he does (from bounty hunter to dances with Tuskans to a crimeless crime boss of like three people - huh?) and he came out of the whole thing as even less of a character than the one we saw for a few minutes in the Empire Strikes Back. Even Ming Na Wen wasn't enough to save this mess. There were some cool moments here and there, mostly involving characters that are, at best, tangential to the main plot (Luke, Grogu, Osaka, Mando), but what the hell was this season actually all about? What story was it actually telling and why on Earth should we care about any of it? What was the point of introducing Cad Bane for only a few minutes of screen time? And when did Rodriguez become such a terrible director, especially at putting together even a halfway decent action scene?

It's genuinely shocking that this was by the same team behind the Mandalorian. Bring on Mando season 3, Osaka and Obi Wan, but please, no more Boba Fett. That character is dead, as far as I'm concerned.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I don't think so. I think they did exactly what they wanted with crime lord Boba. Which is nothing, but only because that's not what Boba Fett is.

Because Boba doesn't want to be a crime lord. He wants to be a defender, a guardian. He just doesn't have a context for how to do that beyond "rule the underworld that's causing the problem."

When Boba loses his Tusken family, he realizes just what the violence from his old life really does to people who don't deserve it. And he sets out to keep that violence from spilling out against innocents again. He's looking for an excuse to stand between the people of Mos Espa and the violence, not to actually rule the underworld. Taking Jabba's throne is just the only way he knows how to do that, given the life he's lived.

It's why his final battle with Cad Bane CAN'T be personal. Why they didn't have Bane be the one who wiped out the Tuskens. It's not about vengeance for Boba Fett, it's about principles. He's fighting Cad Bane because Cad Bane is the man he used to be. Cold, brutal, without limit. When Boba kills Bane he's finally leaving that part of himself well and truly behind.

Honestly, the biggest problems with BoBF were 1) too subtle with it's purpose and probably poorly executed expression of it's themes since most people seem to have missed them and 2) fan expectations of what the show SHOULD HAVE BEEN. They never tried to tell a story about crime lord Boba Fett because that's not what this story is, or ever was. But that's the show most people seem to have expected and they aren't taking that well. (Aside from what I think are legitimately fair criticisms of the the execution, because I do think that went awry along the way as well.)
    I think they were very deceptive with the marketing of the show and pushing the "crime lord" angle and the seedier side of things than what they actually focused on. I'm also not sure if "defender" is a good fit for Boba because I feel like it just makes him more like a bunch of other characters that exist in this universe already and are getting their own show or are already prominently featured in this franchise, but I guess otherwise we wouldn't have had the show in the first place.

I guess I can understand why it couldn't be personal (which I also guess is why Fennec kills the Pykes in the end) but it doesn't quite have the same level of catharsis.
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    To be honest the most in-character scenes with Boba in this episode for me was when he was interacting and fighting with Din. I wanted more of that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    So... I can safely say that to my mind, this is the worst live action Star Wars since Attack of the Clones. It's such an unmitigated mess that it makes the sequel trilogy look like the epitome of careful planning and of crafting a singular vision. The Mando stuff was good, but that was basically a completely different show, and it was hurt just by association to the rest of the show. Also, Luke forcing what is basically an infant into choosing between being a Jedi and going back to his father figure because he insists on carrying on the whole "no attachments" thing despite having loads of attachments himself was stupid beyond words. Mando and Baby Yoda did need to reunite, but it felt so unearned.

As for the Boba Fett bits of the Book of Boba Fett, what a complete and utter disaster. Morrison is far too uncharismatic and wooden to carry a show and Fett is given zero motivation for doing the things he does (from bounty hunter to dances with Tuskans to a crimeless crime boss of like three people - huh?) and he came out of the whole thing as even less of a character than the one we saw for a few minutes in the Empire Strikes Back. Even Ming Na Wen wasn't enough to save this mess. There were some cool moments here and there, mostly involving characters that are, at best, tangential to the main plot (Luke, Grogu, Osaka, Mando), but what the hell was this season actually all about? What story was it actually telling and why on Earth should we care about any of it? What was the point of introducing Cad Bane for only a few minutes of screen time? And when did Rodriguez become such a terrible director, especially at putting together even a halfway decent action scene?

It's genuinely shocking that this was by the same team behind the Mandalorian. Bring on Mando season 3, Osaka and Obi Wan, but please, no more Boba Fett. That character is dead, as far as I'm concerned.
    Now I'm imagining Ahsoka being Japanese with an Osakan accent .

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they were very deceptive with the marketing of the show and pushing the "crime lord" angle and the seedier side of things than what they actually focused on. I'm also not sure if "defender" is a good fit for Boba because I feel like it just makes him more like a bunch of other characters that exist in this universe already and are getting their own show or are already prominently featured in this franchise, but I guess otherwise we wouldn't have had the show in the first place.

I guess I can understand why it couldn't be personal (which I also guess is why Fennec kills the Pykes in the end) but it doesn't quite have the same level of catharsis.

To be honest the most in-character scenes with Boba in this episode for me was when he was interacting and fighting with Din. I wanted more of that guy.

Now I'm imagining Ahsoka being Japanese with an Osakan accent .
    Hahahaha. I thought I might have gotten that one wrong... but I was too lazy to look it up.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think so. I think they did exactly what they wanted with crime lord Boba. Which is nothing, but only because that's not what Boba Fett is.

Because Boba doesn't want to be a crime lord. He wants to be a defender, a guardian. He just doesn't have a context for how to do that beyond "rule the underworld that's causing the problem."

When Boba loses his Tusken family, he realizes just what the violence from his old life really does to people who don't deserve it. And he sets out to keep that violence from spilling out against innocents again. He's looking for an excuse to stand between the people of Mos Espa and the violence, not to actually rule the underworld. Taking Jabba's throne is just the only way he knows how to do that, given the life he's lived.

It's why his final battle with Cad Bane CAN'T be personal. Why they didn't have Bane be the one who wiped out the Tuskens. It's not about vengeance for Boba Fett, it's about principles. He's fighting Cad Bane because Cad Bane is the man he used to be. Cold, brutal, without limit. When Boba kills Bane he's finally leaving that part of himself well and truly behind.

Star Wars, (unless you are willing to count the non canon EU books) as never been about anti heroes. At least not is the visual media that is central canon to the franchise. Not from what I have seen. At most, it takes anti heroes and forces them into full on Good Guys.

The Books let anti heroes be anti heroes but those are the exceptions, from what I see. Additionally ,many of the video games are all about player agency so some of them will actually, let you be a dog kicking baddie if you want. But those are exceptions.

Seems to me it was inevitable that a Boba Fett that had his own show was going to face turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Star Wars, (unless you are willing to count the non canon EU books) as never been about anti heroes. At least not is the visual media that is central canon to the franchise. Not from what I have seen. At most, it takes anti heroes and forces them into full on Good Guys.

The Books let anti heroes be anti heroes but those are the exceptions, from what I see. Additionally ,many of the video games are all about player agency so some of them will actually, let you be a dog kicking baddie if you want. But those are exceptions.

Seems to me it was inevitable that a Boba Fett that had his own show was going to face turn.
    I wonder how Jahan Cross would fare in the current Disney era...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Part of me wonders if covid might have hampered the production of the show, it was stated that a lot of the Sam and Bucky show was changed due to filming in covid which affected pacing there so I could see it being part oof the problem here as well.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Part of me wonders if covid might have hampered the production of the show, it was stated that a lot of the Sam and Bucky show was changed due to filming in covid which affected pacing there so I could see it being part oof the problem here as well.
    Covid did more than that to Sam and Bucky. They has to rewrite the show's main plot because it involved the spreading of a deadly virus. Too soon for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    COVID wreaked absolute havoc on the Wheel of Time show. They lost a primary actor, lost a location, and were not allowed to film any fight scenes for a season finale, plus all the last minute rewrites each one of those things entails. If Boba Fett went through even a quarter of that it must have been hell trying to make a good story on short notice with whatever changes were forced on them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Covid did more than that to Sam and Bucky. They has to rewrite the show's main plot because it involved the spreading of a deadly virus. Too soon for something like that.
    I don't think they officially confirmed it but I think the same thing happened in No Time to Die which is part of why the villain felt so underdeveloped.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    COVID wreaked absolute havoc on the Wheel of Time show. They lost a primary actor, lost a location, and were not allowed to film any fight scenes for a season finale, plus all the last minute rewrites each one of those things entails. If Boba Fett went through even a quarter of that it must have been hell trying to make a good story on short notice with whatever changes were forced on them.
    With the way the mopeds looked in that chase scene, the truncated episode total and the overall pacing issues the show had it's definitely a possibility. I mean, it could have just been slightly substandard writing too but with how good the Mandalorian was it's not out of the realm of possibility to suspect outside forces could have had some of the blame.

Overall, I definitely liked Fett, but I can totally see where it could have been better too.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!