Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    We know if the title will come back or DC stop the run of Bendis ?
    We have no idea. Bendis apparently said there are plans, but Bendis says a lot of thing and not every project is made. He even joked than his Legion will continued with the Future State as the starting status quo. Still could happen, but I would pass of that possibility.
    At this point I would prefer an Earth One OGN than a new series. The zeitgeist is lost and this was a lost chance to built something memorable, aside of the fact than if this has been cancelled and nobody want to revive them, this will be the shortest reboot of all. A merit of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'm guessing DC wants to give the team a break so that when they come back they can go in a different direction with less resistance from current readers.
    There's a large chance that the Legion won't be the current Legion (if history tells us anything; see Waid Legion, DNA Legion...). Especially if they're pushing the Linearverse angle.
    If that happens, better to put on the writting someone who can make a coral cast and be a good world builder. And who can keep a coherent storytelling and not change his own continuity. And I mean the contradiction of Element Lad and the tromites being villians in FS when it was stablished than he was the last of his own species.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    We have no idea. Bendis apparently said there are plans, but Bendis says a lot of thing and not every project is made. He even joked than his Legion will continued with the Future State as the starting status quo. Still could happen, but I would pass of that possibility.
    At this point I would prefer an Earth One OGN than a new series. The zeitgeist is lost and this was a lost chance to built something memorable, aside of the fact than if this has been cancelled and nobody want to revive them, this will be the shortest reboot of all. A merit of his own.

If that happens, better to put on the writting someone who can make a coral cast and be a good world builder. And who can keep a coherent storytelling and not change his own continuity. And I mean the contradiction of Element Lad and the tromites being villians in FS when it was stablished than he was the last of his own species.
    Might need to wait till Hickman is done with his X-men opus then, he was the perfect choice or if that is too long from now I go with Geoff he is the best at revitalizing lost franchises, let him do what he obviously wanted to do in Doomsday Clock but was blocked by whatever cabal decided to give the Legion to Bendis.

Astonishing Member

As for the Element lad thing, lack of reading on your characters' histories, but it could always be an Odo Deep Space Nine thing, thinking you are the last of your kind but your kind still exist they just lay low for nefarious reasons. It is a well used trope, sort of like the Doctor thinking he is the last but other Time Lords (a planet full of them) actually being about.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Might need to wait till Hickman is done with his X-men opus then, he was the perfect choice or if that is too long from now I go with Geoff he is the best at revitalizing lost franchises, let him do what he obviously wanted to do in Doomsday Clock but was blocked by whatever cabal decided to give the Legion to Bendis.
    That now is a lost chance. I don't think than this is now the momento for Johns, he already wrote the Legion. Hickman could be, but I think he is spending all his creative plans he had for the Legion on X-Men and I don't think he will be in conditions to manage another IP of hughe characteristics. I see a black, black future for the Legion.

As for the Element lad thing, lack of reading on your characters' histories, but it could always be an Odo Deep Space Nine thing, thinking you are the last of your kind but your kind still exist they just lay low for nefarious reasons. It is a well used trope, sort of like the Doctor thinking he is the last but other Time Lords (a planet full of them) actually being about.
    The problem with that is that first, it contradict the logic of the story. To make sense of the FS issues you have to erase the origin given to Element Lad in issue#8. Because you have to imagine than in some moment, Saturn Girll had to meet the tromites to put in work the nefarious plans. But Bendis didn't gave story, just twists.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

And so to sum it all up... has any indication been given that LOSH is really not coming back as a title after Future State? Because it seems to me DC is announcing new/returning books on a regular basis. Has Bendis offered any updates on social media?

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    And so to sum it all up... has any indication been given that LOSH is really not coming back as a title after Future State? Because it seems to me DC is announcing new/returning books on a regular basis. Has Bendis offered any updates on social media?
    Yes indeed. From unreliable sources I have read than Bendis has said his Legion would continue but they were searching for an artistic team. But that was sometime ago. Who knows if they still are searching or preparing something or are just waiting to time pass to people to forget this era. So at this moment, there are no way to either confirm a cancellation or a preparation of a returning title. There has been no official annoucements, no drops of preparing art, nothing beyond the comments of Bendis, who, by the way, could not longer be attached to the development of the title. But a new title or announcement this year can not be discarded. Even new appearances of this team in another Bendis penned book is a possibility, like in Justice League. I'm not sure if Bendis confirmed or hinted that possibility. Maybe in his own socialnets he did it, but I don't follow him. So...?
    Also, I must add, most of the new titles are limited series or digital first books. Could this team return, this specific iteration of the Legion? Really, I don't know, no one can know it yet. This team was gestated by the previous administration of DC, a last salvo and I don't know if it counts with the support of the newest directive or the Legion followers or even the support of Bendis followers, who could perfectly pass of a new title based on this reboot but not written by Bendis himself.

Ironically, the situation of the characters is more uncertain now than the years previous to Doomsday Clock.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 03-07-2021 at 08:49 PM.

I'd like it if the current iteration of the Legion continued on but without Bendis.
    Please Remain Calm

Fantastic Member

It hurts to see what Hickman is doing with X-men. The Hellfire Gala sounds like an extended Legion Election party.

Astonishing Member

the Uncanny relationship between the X-Men and the Legion continues, I do pray I one day can see Hickman's take on the Legion.

Not counting out Cyclops-Lass, I suppose.
    Really, I don't think Hickman will have any stories of the Legion to tell after he finishes with the X-men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    It hurts to see what Hickman is doing with X-men. The Hellfire Gala sounds like an extended Legion Election party.
    DC under the previous management would never have given the book to Hickman. Hickman would have been more interested in doing LoSH his way and not getting bogged down in edicts/demands from the editors and publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    DC under the previous management would never have given the book to Hickman. Hickman would have been more interested in doing LoSH his way and not getting bogged down in edicts/demands from the editors and publisher.
    Not "would", that was exactly what the previous managment office did. The Bendisboot had all the signs that this was more an idea of DiDio than Bendis himself. I think than Hickman would not had problem working with the Legion from where was left, instead doing another reboot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not counting out Cyclops-Lass, I suppose.
    Really, I don't think Hickman will have any stories of the Legion to tell after he finishes with the X-men.
    I think you are putting a limit on a prolific writer. I don't see the Krakoa stuff or the A.I. stuff as Legion stories repurposed. Hickman has been a prolific and my favorite producer of content since Geoff Johns. I loved his FF, liked his Avengers and thought his Secret Wars was his high point. His East of West was also my favorite recent Image book. Now he is doing X-Men now after that I am not sure what other Marvel stories he has to tell but DC being a new sandbox might invigorate him. I would love to see his takes on not only the Legion but the Green Lantern Corps as well.

I think you are putting a limit on a prolific writer. I don't see the Krakoa stuff or the A.I. stuff as Legion stories repurposed. Hickman has been a prolific and my favorite producer of content since Geoff Johns. I loved his FF, liked his Avengers and thought his Secret Wars was his high point. His East of West was also my favorite recent Image book. Now he is doing X-Men now after that I am not sure what other Marvel stories he has to tell but DC being a new sandbox might invigorate him. I would love to see his takes on not only the Legion but the Green Lantern Corps as well.

Maybe I'm doing unconcious. Maybe you are right and the take of Hickman on Legion could be awesome. maybe you know that better than me, I have not read enough about the work of Hickman to be a good jugde of his work. I started to read his Avengers and they don't clicked on me. And from others reviews I have read I understand than he is very good with the grand scheme of a world planning but his characters are made to fit the story, a common defect in many writers today. It could be a misjugdment but that is what I known.

Also, what I mean is than writers also have a moment where they are the most cretive and goingn in an specific direction. There are ones with a narrative than evolves and still is liked by the readers. But also there is a moment where they repeat themselves unconcious, because every writer write about subject than you can see in their works when your read about them and then they just stay in the confort zone, not offering new stories but redoing again and agains their biggest hits. That can work for a time, until you see than they have nothing to say anymore. They are burned. Some writers move then to other projects or reinvent themselves and search new subjects or write in other fields, but don't stay where they already had been. Some make grand returns and others don't. Some others still sells , but only because of their name or the nostalgia driven public. The taste of the public change. And those writers still writing about the same stuff over and over.

I fear than Hickman could be going in that direction after ending his work on X-Men. Maybe he will be not interesed at that point on work on super-heroes anymore or simply, he had passed his creative peak. I wish to be wrong and intead in the future, Hickman would had evolved in to a better writer than he is now, but in that moment his work will not be attractive to the readers then. There are a lot of circunstancies to be take in account. I would prefered te Hickman to Bendis, ten thousand times, but now. I don't know if he will keep quality in the future, that is uncertain. And changing editorials not always work. Bendis is an example of that.

My intention is not to be disrespectful to the work of Hickman. Maybe Hickman could be an excellent contribution to the Legion, maybe still is and could beif there is still a Legion to write about.

This thread feels like the crypto 2021 "appreciation" thread since we're a quarter of the way into 2021 and there is no official LoSH appreciation thread yet...except not a lot of appreciation happening since we're mostly mad about the current state of the Legion.

Anyway I got one of those DCU Infinite subscriptions--this might be the thing that finally cures me of collecting floppies--and I read the 8 available issues of the Bendis Legion and, I mean, it's Bendis, you're going to get pages and pages of dialogue where everyone sounds the same and it's really glib and weightless. That's, well, whatever; you hire Bendis, you're going to get a Bendis comic book. But I just don't understand making this yet another reboot and not, like, the next generation of Legionnaires encountering Jon Kent, the next generation of Superman. To have these very off model characters be presented as THE Legion...it's very hard to take.