Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Long story short: DC met with Hickman before Bendis hopped over and talked about him working for them. Didio and Lee were negotiating with him. However Didio brought over Bendis and basically treated him as DC’s next big superstar giving him everything he wanted which included Legion. Hickman had apparently pitched for Legion as well but DC went with Bendis. Meanwhile Marvel crawled back to Hickman and promised him carte blanche with the X-Men, the one big Marvel book Hickman still wanted. So Hickman signed up with Marvel instead.
    It's funny how these things happen.

Al Ewing might be a good choice. He's an interesting science fiction writer and seems to like continuity deep dives.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Al Ewing might be a good choice. He's an interesting science fiction writer and seems to like continuity deep dives.
    Isn't he the writer that turned Starlord bisexual to spite Chris Pratt?

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Idk as that's a fan conspiracy theory and I don't really care to explore that aspect.

I just realized something... The fact that the Future State LOSH book happens some years after the current LOSH stories actually makes Bendis' current version also a part of Future State.
    For a Legion even further into the Future to be a direct continuation of the current run, the current run would need to be set in the same reality, so things like Jace Fox Batman or Yara Flor WW would already be part of the past of the regular run.
    This means Bendis' whole Legion run is effectively a part of an alternate future continuity, no longer needing to be the actual future of the main continuity (since we know Future State will never be the main continuity or be treated as such).
    I realize this was not done by design and they'll probably ignore the logic behind this, but it would actually open up the possibility of having the current run as part of a Future State imprint, while also allowing for the return of other versions to be portrayed as the actual future of the DCU (one that isn't so tied to documented events from the past like a FS Legion is).
    The biggest problem would be Jon's connection to Bendis' team. But his interactions with them could be explained as him travelling to an alternate future, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Might it be possible to salvage the Legion by leaning into all the reboots and exploring how the future is ever-changing based upon the whims of the present day DCU?

What about a Multiverse-based LSH that includes members from all the previous incarnations of the team, in addition to several new ones, each representing wildly different ideas of the future? Some could be dark, some hopeful, and everything in between. Explore far out sci-fi concepts and humanity's different visions of the future.

The hook can be that the LSH need to find whatever McGuffin or baddie (like the Time Trapper), which requires them to travel to various timelines, picking up new members along the way and allowing the same superhero soap opera mixed with far-future sci-fi that attracted old fans while also giving new fans a way to jump on board because the setting and status quo would always be changing.

You can a storyarc exploring the 1950s conception of the future, along with even older ones from the 30s & 40s. Explore what those future visions say about the societies they came from. Then, you can explore newer incarnations of the future in which man & machine are at war, in harmony or have become merged into something else entirely. Explore dark futures of environmental collapse, social unrest, plutocracy, and hundreds more.

Stop trying to pin the future down to one thing and accept that the future is ever-changing because it is a blank canvass to which the present pins their hopes, dreams and fears upon.

Go big and bold and bring in a bunch of different artists to depict new and different future worlds while also exploring and re-examining the old ones.
    That could be a good way to put it. I thought they could had done something like that when I read about the Infinitus saga in Justice League United and saw a lot of characters of different Legion eras mixed. I explain that as lack of a good editor, but it could had been a good stating point for what Bored propose.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I just realized something... The fact that the Future State LOSH book happens some years after the current LOSH stories actually makes Bendis' current version also a part of Future State.
    For a Legion even further into the Future to be a direct continuation of the current run, the current run would need to be set in the same reality, so things like Jace Fox Batman or Yara Flor WW would already be part of the past of the regular run.
    This means Bendis' whole Legion run is effectively a part of an alternate future continuity, no longer needing to be the actual future of the main continuity (since we know Future State will never be the main continuity or be treated as such).
    I realize this was not done by design and they'll probably ignore the logic behind this, but it would actually open up the possibility of having the current run as part of a Future State imprint, while also allowing for the return of other versions to be portrayed as the actual future of the DCU (one that isn't so tied to documented events from the past like a FS Legion is).
    The biggest problem would be Jon's connection to Bendis' team. But his interactions with them could be explained as him travelling to an alternate future, so it wouldn't be a big deal.
    That could be a good way to explain it, but I doubt it. I guess than Bendis will use Future State to make his version of the 5YL era. I mean, Bendis doesn't seem to be a guy who plans in the long term details like Hickman, for example. The guy always leaves a lot of unresoluted plots hanging when he leaves a series.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Fantastic Member

I just finished reading X-Men 16 by Hickman and god, it was a Legion story in disguise.
    The data pages already feel very 5YL Legion and now this "election" is simply repeating a Legionesque pattern.

Sad that over the last few years the innovations of Legion reappeared in different titles (King's comics, Hickman) but never generated a desire for new and ambitious Legion comics.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Al Ewing would be the incredible home run hire DC thought/hoped they were getting with Bendis.

Go read Generations Shattered.

Cant believe DC is teasing us like that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    Go read Generations Shattered.

Cant believe DC is teasing us like that.
    Right? Do you think it is referring to switch to the canonical continuity?

Extraordinary Member

For those who saw it, how was the Legion of SuperHeroes animated show?

I guess it wasn’t as popular as Justice League or the Teen Titans. Otherwise we’d still hear about it, and LoSH would still be in other media.

Was it a good adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I guess it wasn’t as popular as Justice League or the Teen Titans. Otherwise we’d still hear about it, and LoSH would still be in other media.

I enjoyed it, it was my first intro to the Legion. Kind of a mix between Silver Age Legion, Five Year Later Legion, and the DCAU

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

It was it's own thing, no more a faithful adaptation than the Young Justice cartoon (and a bit more kid-friendly than that, although not to the level of Teen Titans Go). I enjoyed it, but I've enjoyed several AU Legion offerings. It might come across as *too* kid-friendly at times, more like a Saturday morning cartoon (like Superfriends), than something more mature audiences can get into. But again, not so bad as Teen Titans Go, which I can't really watch, because it's a little too aggressively silly for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Starlord has numerous jokes about sleeping with weird alien creatures. A man is nowhere near the weirdest thing he has slept with

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    I just finished reading X-Men 16 by Hickman and god, it was a Legion story in disguise.
    The data pages already feel very 5YL Legion and now this "election" is simply repeating a Legionesque pattern.

Sad that over the last few years the innovations of Legion reappeared in different titles (King's comics, Hickman) but never generated a desire for new and ambitious Legion comics.
    Hold up, what did Tom King do that was similar to Legion of Super heroes? Are you talking about Heroes in Crisis or Strange Adventures?