Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Say one of you got a chance to rebuild the Legion (I'm going to avoid using reboot here) but with only five characters with the possibility of slowly expanding that to actual Legion levels. Which ones would you pick and why?

Personally, I think the 'Legion of Substitute Heroes' is the best way to build the Legion. You have the underdogs and the out casts, which is an immediate hook and still a popular trope and you can slowly expand that to include the bigger Legion of Superheroes.

I wouldn't write a Legion comic with only 5 members, but if I had to choose 5 to start with, they'd be:

Dreamer - her powers are absolutely perfect for setting up the team's creation.
    Dawnstar - she's awesome and a great asset when gathering new allies.
    Chameleon - as Brande's son, he's a logic fit, plus he actually looks alien.
    Brainiac V - the team's brains. I consider him more essential than the original 3.
    Mon-El - a hero living in the shadows of the Legion's greatest inspiration- on a path to finding himself.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Say one of you got a chance to rebuild the Legion (I'm going to avoid using reboot here) but with only five characters with the possibility of slowly expanding that to actual Legion levels. Which ones would you pick and why?

Personally, I think the 'Legion of Substitute Heroes' is the best way to build the Legion. You have the underdogs and the out casts, which is an immediate hook and still a popular trope and you can slowly expand that to include the bigger Legion of Superheroes.
    I would definitely prefer to explore some of the less used characters, so yeah, the Subs or the Heroes of Lallor or a series set in the Legion Academy (like that brief run in Adventure awhile back that introduced Dragonwing, Variable Lad, Gravity Kid, Chemical Kid and Glorith, hey look, five characters!) could be neat.

I'm kind of bored with yet another interpretation of Lightning Lad, Brainiac 5, Ultra Boy, etc. even if some of those classic members are among my favorite characters.

Even for a regular Legion book, I'd want more focus on people I didn't get to see as much like Kid Quantum II/Jasmin, Tyroc, Dragonmage, Gazelle, Tellus, Karate Kid II/Myg, Dragonwing, Glorith, etc.

Most of those Legion Academy trainees from Adventure were actually introduced in the 80s. I was surprised to see them when I was reading the later half of Levitz' run. They were Laurel Kent's teammates:

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Franklin at least was a child for over fifty years.
    Jon was only a kid for less than five years.
    And the way it’s been done makes it harder to accept.
    Clark and Lois let Jon go off with evil Jor-El who they had no reason to trust. He came back as a teenager and they let him go off immediately into the future.
    And now Clark is being sent off into space while Jon takes his place and mantle on Earth.
    And there was already a teenage Conner being underused during all this.
    Yeah, why age up Jon... to use him the same as Conner? doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Rumours said than Bendis could be returning to Marvel. Just rumours, maybe false.
    But I really wanted him away from the Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

just like Bagley, a crossover that was much hyped but in the end didn't work at all with the artist returning from whince they came.

"Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Unfortunately it will still be the Bendis Legion and not the real Legion. And still be Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Unfortunately it will still be the Bendis Legion and not the real Legion. And still be Bendis.
    As I said: real news. Not good news, but at least real news... to know how much this will be get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I wouldn't write a Legion comic with only 5 members, but if I had to choose 5 to start with, they'd be:

Brainiac V - the team's brains. I consider him more essential than the original 3.
    Mon-El - a hero living in the shadows of the Legion's greatest inspiration- on a path to finding himself.
    Nice picks

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Good starting lineup I think. But, well , gotta get those numbers up. A proper Legion needs over 4,000 troops. (Yes the old Roman Legions were really THAT big)

Dawnstar looks alien sometimes too.

Also: Mon-El: the guy who later gets replaced by Brainiac's girlfriend
    Last edited by marhawkman; 09-17-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Wow, that's a bitt-ugly Diana in that picture (wasn't she supposed to be as beautiful as Aphrodite, or is that no longer cannon?). Also, Bendis pet-character, Naomi, strategiclly placed among the big three, is really a bit vomit worthy.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Wow, that's a bitt-ugly Diana in that picture (wasn't she supposed to be as beautiful as Aphrodite, or is that no longer cannon?). Also, Bendis pet-character, Naomi, strategiclly placed among the big three, is really a bit vomit worthy.

Peace
    I was wonderign who that was between WW and superman.

Naomi is the least of Bendis' JL problems. She's just like Firestorm in the Satellite days. An inexperienced young hero who probably should be in a junior team, but gets to be in the League because they're favored by the current writer.