Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Comic Book history shows us that classic rarely lasts. Some versions, of course, last longer than others. In many cases, chnages to a property have increased their popularity and quality. All New, All Different X-Men and Moore's Swamp Thing are among the finest examples. But even with failed or dropped new versions, the original rarely returns untouched or unchanged. Ideally we see some aspects of a new version maintained as they were successful.
    For me, what I consider to be the classic runs of the titles I loved were those that took place when I first started reading. This is certainly true of LSH, Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants.

Yes, change is a part of life and I wouldn't want something to be set in aspic but change has to be managed the right way, be organic and it has to take fans along willingly, not kicking and screaming but most importantly, treat them with respect (Disney I'm talking to you re Star Wars cannon).

UXM was quite a different line-up after the Mutant Massacre and the team I had come to love over the past 40 odd issues was no longer but I stayed with it because I was still enjoying it and (for the most part) liked the new (to me) characters that were brought onto the team. Continuity was maintained and history wasn't being trashed. Where I lost interest was when the team went through the Siege Perilous and Psylocke became a kick-ass Ninja babe etc. I stuck with it for a while but I just wasn't enjoying it anymore and that, basically, is what reading a comic is all about.

To get back on topic with Legion, I started reading in the early 80's, just at the start of the classic Levitz/Giffen run and I stayed right through until the destruction of Earth in v.4 LSH #38.

Look how different 5YL Legion was to what had gone before but I still loved it because it was the characters I knew, just a bit older (which is what should happen in comics anyway, imho).

I stopped reading the title a) because I was losing interest in comics in general anyway and b) because I felt there was too much emphasis on the SW6 Batch and things were moving away from "my" Legion. Within a couple of years there was the first of what was has been many reboots, which has put me off trying to pick up the title again.

I am more than happy to read and re-read issues I know that I enjoy but sadly have no interest in any of these titles today (but I don't begrudge those who do their enjoyment).

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Why should I give up book(s) I like just so old timers could get more of something they like which has failed for decades now to connect with new readers. What books will be killed off so you can have the JSA or the original LoSH ? Or any other book of the same kind ?

I really enjoyed Bendis Legion. Why should I lose it so you can have the same old, stale, stories ? You have already decades of published stuff about the old Legion, why can't it be enough ?
    Strangely enough, speaking as an old guy, I agree with you. There are lots of old comics stories. I don't seriously believe that a Legion book that was pure 1950s or something would work today.

I stopped reading the current series though that was largely due to things that had nothing to do with how good it was. I thought the more racially diverse Legion was a great idea. I wouldn't mind bringing back the Legion's history but with some tweaks like some characters not being white and never were white.

I am a fan of the basic Marvel idea of maintaining some pretense that all of the history of characters happened even if, when updated to happening more recently, you would have to say it must have happened somewhat differently.

As to what version to go with, that's always going to come down to sales. If they thought the Legion as originally presented would sell better, they would do it.

One thing I loved about the new series was the idea that we in the 20th and then the 21st century are not getting an accurate portrayal of what happened in any of the stories. Ever since future history was revealed in 1957 by Legionnaires going back in time, what we get is a version adapted to our time. In 1957, we were given a version palatable to a person of that time with white characters, a 1950s society in the 2950s and technology that was what people in the 1950s pictured as future tech. In 2021, we get racially diverse characters and a 2021 concept of future tech and society. But that may all be no more true to what the Legion and a thousand years in the future really is than the 1950s version.

I liked lots of things. Black Lightning Lad, the explanation for Colossal Boy, and so on. Mohawk Cosmic Boy seemed a little too 1980s. Y'know, I might just buy the collection.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Bring in new characters and ideas can certainly freshen a series. I wish we had seen more of that with Bendis's Legion (I thought Gold Lantern and Monster Boy were interesting enough) than starting over (AGAIN)!
    Last edited by kcekada; 06-23-2021 at 04:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Bring in new characters and ideas can certainly freshen a series. I wish he had seem more of that with Bendis's Legion (I thought Gold Lantern and Monster Boy were interesting enough) than starting over (AGAIN)!
    Yeah, I've loved new Legionnaires since way back when Karate Kid, Projectra and Ferro Lad were new, and enjoyed many 'new' Legionnaires over the years, Timber Wolf, White Witch, Tellus, Karate Kid II/Myg, Dragonwing, etc. as well as the newer characters from the Reboot (Kid Quantum II, Dragonmage, GEAR, etc.) and Threeboot (Gazelle, Dream Boy!).

If Bendis had come up with a Legion treatment that was all about his new character ideas, instead of a *fourth* version of Lightning Lad, Brainiac 5, Ultra Boy, etc. I'd have been far more up for it. Those first twenty or so Legionnaires have been done and done and done again, and I really don't care for yet another hot take on Phantom Girl or Shadow Lass, even if they are two of my favorite 'classic' Legionnaires.

In hindsight maybe Bendis could've just created the kids of the Founders? The sons or daughters of Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl etc.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    In hindsight maybe Bendis could've just created the kids of the Founders? The sons or daughters of Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl etc.
    I've said this back when they first announced the book. Since they're Jon's Legion it would actually make a lot of sense for them to be direct legacies as well.

That’s what I would’ve done. Clark’s Legion was the 30th century Legion, Jon’s was their descendants in the 31st.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, I've loved new Legionnaires since way back when Karate Kid, Projectra and Ferro Lad were new, and enjoyed many 'new' Legionnaires over the years, Timber Wolf, White Witch, Tellus, Karate Kid II/Myg, Dragonwing, etc. as well as the newer characters from the Reboot (Kid Quantum II, Dragonmage, GEAR, etc.) and Threeboot (Gazelle, Dream Boy!).

If Bendis had come up with a Legion treatment that was all about his new character ideas, instead of a *fourth* version of Lightning Lad, Brainiac 5, Ultra Boy, etc. I'd have been far more up for it. Those first twenty or so Legionnaires have been done and done and done again, and I really don't care for yet another hot take on Phantom Girl or Shadow Lass, even if they are two of my favorite 'classic' Legionnaires.
    Indeed, the best of each reboot has been the newer additions instead the rework on the rebooted characters. Bendis could had wrote a next generation legion without the need of another reboot. Well, he would still had his writing style, but at least there would not be the sensation of yet another reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I've said this back when they first announced the book. Since they're Jon's Legion it would actually make a lot of sense for them to be direct legacies as well.
    I also said about that pages ago: a Legion of Super-sons with Bendis own characters could had worked.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I also said about that pages ago: a Legion of Super-sons with Bendis own characters could had worked.
    It is interesting to see how the various children of Legion couples would turn out. Garth + Imra = a kid with telepathy and perhaps some electrical powers? Jo + Tinya = a kid who can phase, and may have a smattering of ultra-energy powers, or even be able to 'phase' into a pure ultra-energy form? Chuck + Luornu = a kid who absorbs impact and splits off into multiple bouncing selves? The harder you hit them, the more of them appear bouncing around in all directions?

Plus all the potential unrelated characters, just straight up 'new' Legionnaires who aren't necessarily kids of the previous couples, like Monster Boy and 'Radius Lad' or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s what I would’ve done. Clark’s Legion was the 30th century Legion, Jon’s was their descendants in the 31st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Indeed, the best of each reboot has been the newer additions instead the rework on the rebooted characters. Bendis could had wrote a next generation legion without the need of another reboot. Well, he would still had his writing style, but at least there would not be the sensation of yet another reboot.

I guess great minds think alike .

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Hell it didn't need to be the next generation. They could have given Bendis a Legion Academy book. He could have all his new characters learning and training to be heroes with the Legion members coming in as teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Hell it didn't need to be the next generation. They could have given Bendis a Legion Academy book. He could have all his new characters learning and training to be heroes with the Legion members coming in as teachers.
    Legion Academy has a nice ring to it.

Legion Academy has a nice ring to it.
    They were the stars of the Pre-FP Adventure Comics run drawn by Phil Jimenez.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It is interesting to see how the various children of Legion couples would turn out. Garth + Imra = a kid with telepathy and perhaps some electrical powers? Jo + Tinya = a kid who can phase, and may have a smattering of ultra-energy powers, or even be able to 'phase' into a pure ultra-energy form? Chuck + Luornu = a kid who absorbs impact and splits off into multiple bouncing selves? The harder you hit them, the more of them appear bouncing around in all directions?
    We kinda already know about the results of those two couples.

Plus all the potential unrelated characters, just straight up 'new' Legionnaires who aren't necessarily kids of the previous couples, like Monster Boy and 'Radius Lad' or whatever.
    Exactly!
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That could also work. I liked some of the new Academy students in the last Levitz run (Dragonwing, Variable Lad, Glorith and Gravity Kid more than Chemical Kid, but they can't all be hits!). And I was a big fan of some of the older Academy students like Nightwing, Lamprey, Crystal Kid, Laurel Kent, Karate Kid II and Urk.

Just have a few regular appearances by the few (ex) Legionnaires who are actively involved in the Academy (Duplicate Girl, etc.) and it's essentially Legion-adjacent. No need for a huge cast filled with yet another version of the Founders, Brainy, Dream Girl, Ultra Boy, etc.