Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure what it will take to get the Legion back on track. I haven't read Bendis' new Legion because I was turned off by everything I had seen (and HAVE seen) about it.

I know that I want the REAL Legion back with it's REAL history. But maybe that's just me.

I personally don't care about the costumes as long as they look good. I want the couples I'm used to (I wouldn't want a Superman without him being in love with Lois Lane), especially Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl.

Really all I want is for the characters to behave and sound like the characters I've loved for decades. If there's a good writer that can do that, find him/her and put them to work on a Legion book.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Now that this is all "One Universe" what if... They rest the Legion for awhile, but when they bring them back, they use the Sook designs, but make them the original Legion in terms of history and personalities, relationships, etc. ... maybe up to the end of "Magic Wars" before the 5 Yr Gap where the team never broke up. Or are people really that hung up on the appearances?
    I'm quoting myself because nobody responded to the idea that I proposed. I'm not sure if it's the ideal solution, but since the most important thing to you is the relationships and the history, what do you think of the idea that all of that is simply superimposed on the design of the Bendis/Sook Legion? Some people have praised the look of this new Legion for being more inclusive, so does that not seem like the best of both worldviews?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm quoting myself because nobody responded to the idea that I proposed. I'm not sure if it's the ideal solution, but since the most important thing to you is the relationships and the history, what do you think of the idea that all of that is simply superimposed on the design of the Bendis/Sook Legion? Some people have praised the look of this new Legion for being more inclusive, so does that not seem like the best of both worldviews?
    Maybe that would work, but I have to tell you that some of these Sook looks are pretty crappy - especially Timberwolf, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Projectra, Chameleon Boy, Phantom Girl, and Shrinking Violet.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Bendis just is not good with team books. His Avengers was not great and his X-Men and Guardians runs were just garbage. Why DC thought a guy who is not good with big casts would be good on the book with the biggest cast is just a mystery. His Avengers sold because he was given every toy in the Marvel toybox to play with. You want to know the real reason he rebooted and gave everyone new looks? Other media. He hopes that is the Legion get used in other media they use his new designs so he can get a piece of the pie. It is the same reason he took over Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Bendis just is not good with team books. His Avengers was not great and his X-Men and Guardians runs were just garbage. Why DC thought a guy who is not good with big casts would be good on the book with the biggest cast is just a mystery. His Avengers sold because he was given every toy in the Marvel toybox to play with. You want to know the real reason he rebooted and gave everyone new looks? Other media. He hopes that is the Legion get used in other media they use his new designs so he can get a piece of the pie. It is the same reason he took over Guardians.
    I think the added racial diversity will probably effect media adaptions but I hope they don't try to stick with those designs.

I get what Sook was trying to go for but I feel like there was a better way of modernizing some of the Legion designs while keeping them recognizable and "modern." Pretty much most of the team has had better redesigns in my opinion. I say this a lot but I thought the designs from the Legion cartoon were much better on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the added racial diversity will probably effect media adaptions but I hope they don't try to stick with those designs.

I get what Sook was trying to go for but I feel like there was a better way of modernizing some of the Legion designs while keeping them recognizable and "modern." Pretty much most of the team has had better redesigns in my opinion. I say this a lot but I thought the designs from the Legion cartoon were much better on that front.
    The ones from the cartoon were pretty good. I don't understand why people harp on the old costumes so much. Are they a little dated, sure, but some act like they're the WORST. COSTUMES. EVER. When they weren't. Dawny and Karate Kid's new looks are insensitive, Timber Wolf's and Matter Eater Lad have been sharing protein bars, and Blok doesn't have a neck. I do like the diversity though. I'll give Bendis credit for that.

Can you give an example of a Bendis redesign you didn't like and offer a redesign you prefered? I love the Dawnstar redesign for example.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-22-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Actually nevermind, I hate the Blok redesign. Most boring possible solution

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Can you give an example of a Bendis redesign you didn't like and offer a redesign you prefered? I love the Dawnstar redesign for example.
    The Dawnstar redesign was a case of taking a character design that was criticized as being a Native American stereotype and making it REALLY REALLY stereotypical.

Like, at least with the first one you could not realize it wasn't Native inspired at first(it was made in the seventies, after all).

And Karate Kid now looks like an early 1900's take on a Chinese person (even though Karate is Japanese).

Astonishing Member

I agree. Very few of Sook's designs are that great. The animated folks did a much better job of taking what existed and modernizing it. Sooks best designs are the ones that did the same. He went too off course with many of the members.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Phantom Girl for one.

And of course this was published while a more traditional looking PG was appearing in the Terrifics. That was meant to be the Legionnaire's ancestor. This sure doesn't look like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Maybe that would work, but I have to tell you that some of these Sook looks are pretty crappy - especially Timberwolf, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Projectra, Chameleon Boy, Phantom Girl, and Shrinking Violet.
    Dream Girl should've looked like Dreamer from Supergirl. Instead, she looks like a long haired version of Secret from the old Young Justice comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Phantom Girl for one.

Yeah not my favorite Phantom Girl...

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And of course this was published while a more traditional looking PG was appearing in the Terrifics. That was meant to be the Legionnaire's ancestor. This sure doesn't look like it.Dream Girl should've looked like Dreamer from Supergirl. Instead, she looks like a long haired version of Secret from the old Young Justice comics.
    I mean, Dream Girl has a pretty straightforward design:

Not sure Bendis' version needed to be practically naked.

Always Rakzo

I can cite all the typical problems from Bendis' writing in this book, namely the annoying dialogue and poor pacing, which are somehow accentuated than in any other of his titles.

But the worst thing about this is that the goddamn title is extremely dull so I can't blame anyone who dropped at like issue 2 (which I did... only to come back to it just because I needed to write some stuff and I hate myself for it).

The future of the Justice League is not bright in every sense of the word.

The "everything happened" approach has already been fostered in a practical way with the Legion before in Legion of 3 Worlds. Just adhere to that concept in order to reintroduce Superman's Legion to the fold as well. Don't give it a brand new #1 title. Don't relaunch it yet. Use it as a supporting element in Superman's story again for a while. Let it regain legs there, if there are legs to be regained. If he's going on a space sojourn as rumored so Jon can be Superman on Earth, while Kal partakes in far more cosmic adventures, its the perfect set-up to do it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-22-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El