Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I'd like a WW book that uses more of her own villains (not just the "big three" [Circe, Cheetah, and Ares] and the "other three" [Silver Swan, Psycho, and Giganta], but the obscure forgotten ones...I'd like to see Clea, AngleMan, Devastation, Atomia, The Children of Chronos, Duke of Deception, et al. Heck, I'd like for someone to revamp the Adjudicator and the Empress of the Silver Snake...and Gaucho, Angle Man, Mayfly...

I'd love to see the Olympian (Global Guardians) and I would love to see the return of Rama and Trevor Barnes and the black boy that Jimenez introduced in his run, the boy who would become Wonderboy some day...

I would also like WW's costume to finally get straps.

With that being said, I also want a more unified WW fandom that doesn't rip to shreds any Wonder Woman medium that is not 100 % aligned with their own specific desires.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-22-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Read what others have said. People would prefer for WW villains to be used in WW books where they are more likely to be treated with respect. It's that simple.
    SOME people, Some. Plenty of others agreed with my position here. What I don't understand is why having one of her villains appear in Suicide Squad would make it hard for them to appear in normal Wonder Woman stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    SOME people, Some. Plenty of others agreed with my position here. What I don't understand is why having one of her villains appear in Suicide Squad would make it hard for them to appear in normal Wonder Woman stories.
    Personally, I fear that a Wonder Woman villain (many of which have gained unfair reputations of being "lame") used in a Suicide Squad film or comic will be the designated comic relief, cannon fodder, or both.

Can't we just drop Max Lord into Suicide Squad? Problem solved. Waller will kill him in an hour.
    I read this and instantly though of them back in Invasion!. I've read very little of either character (neither is my type) but I know things were different then.

Max Amanda.jpg

BANNED

Speaking of which...is Queen of Fables considered a Diana villain? I know that she was introduced in a Justice League book, but didn't she want to kill Diana for some reason? Isn't that how the Queen "entered" our world?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Personally, I fear that a Wonder Woman villain (many of which have gained unfair reputations of being "lame") used in a Suicide Squad film or comic will be the designated comic relief, cannon fodder, or both.
    I hear you, and I understand the concern. However, I think what Alpha and I are arguing is that Wonder Woman's mythos should be expanded outside of Wonder Woman, and this is another opportunity for the world to grow and be taken seriously. I mean Dr. Psycho in Harley Quinn Animated Series is not cannon fodder or depicted as less worthy than the other characters. Circe in Justice League Dark got some of the best writing I've ever seen for the character. Circe in Trinity was also a strong showing. People say that Artemis in Red Hood was a great showing for the character. Donna Troy in Titans seemed to be well-received and people disliked the fate of the character.

Yes, there's a chance the characters won't be written well, but there's also a chance the characters will be written well. I think that's all Alpha and I are saying. Let's at least give the character the chance for much-needed exposure and increased popularity.

Edited to add: Queen of Fables got a great showing in Harley Quinn and Aegeus got a great revamp in the Justice League title. It's not like it's impossible for Wonder Woman villains to get great showing outside her comics.
    Last edited by PopQuezy; 12-22-2020 at 03:07 PM.

, I think what Alpha and I are arguing is that Wonder Woman's mythos should be expanded outside of Wonder Woman, and this is another opportunity for the world to grow and be taken seriously.
    I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I do not read Suicide Squad, and I am not going to (I like heroes). But, off hand, this feels backwards to me. I think that villains generally get taken seriously outside their originating franchise only after they are within it. Once they have the popularity, then they get used elsewhere, rather than the reverse. I mean, as general rule, as there are always exceptions.

Donna Troy in Titans seemed to be well-received and people disliked the fate of the character.
    Well, I know I'm in the minority here, but I consider Donna a (Teen) Titans character, not a WW one. Almost nothing about her was formed in WW, and her greatest association and popularity came from elsewhere.

Speaking of which...is Queen of Fables considered a Diana villain? I know that she was introduced in a Justice League book, but didn't she want to kill Diana for some reason? Isn't that how the Queen "entered" our world?
    Her character concept puts her at odds with Diana, and she's appeared in enough Wonder Woman comics to be considered a full-fledged WW villain if you ask me.

That's exactly the problem. Suicide Squad, at least the modern version, has its core cast of characters (most/all of whom are based on the films). And historically, Wonder Woman's rogues gallery doesn't have the best showings in titles that aren't her own. Throwing Dr. Poison or Warmaster in the group will likely mean they will be killed off or treated as jokes. It's just the precedent that has been set. I would love if it were different, but sadly... here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Well, I know I'm in the minority here, but I consider Donna a (Teen) Titans character, not a WW one. Almost nothing about her was formed in WW, and her greatest association and popularity came from elsewhere.
    I don't think that's necessarily the minority. Donna and Cassie are so scarcely used in the title that I, as someone who reads Wonder Woman almost exclusively as far as DC goes, barely register them most of the time.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I do not read Suicide Squad, and I am not going to (I like heroes). But, off hand, this feels backwards to me. I think that villains generally get taken seriously outside their originating franchise only after they are within it. Once they have the popularity, then they get used elsewhere, rather than the reverse. I mean, as general rule, as there are always exceptions.

Once again, you can do both. You can write iconic stories in her own book and also promote the characters in other books. Everyone keeps waiting for a indisputably successful and popular run on her main title that brings in a lot of new fans, but why stop other things from happening with the characters that surround her? Maybe it will take another 5 years or more for that to happen ns meanwhile we missed the opportunity to have one of her main foes gather more recognizability in other books. Why not try everything as long as it doesn't hurt her main book?

Like PopQuezy pointed out, both Doctor Psycho and Queen of Fables (if you consider her a WW villain) got a great portrayal in the Harley Quinn show, where they were both shown as extremely powerful, uniquely interesting and funny. I think the same could happen with other villains on Suicide Squad, which is both a comedic book and a violent thriller.

She was was introduced in Waid’s JL run but yeah, if she pops up anywhere chances are it will be something WW-related. Simone used her for a few issues in her run.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Her character concept puts her at odds with Diana, and she's appeared in enough Wonder Woman comics to be considered a full-fledged WW villain if you ask me.

That's exactly the problem. Suicide Squad, at least the modern version, has its core cast of characters (most/all of whom are based on the films). And historically, Wonder Woman's rogues gallery doesn't have the best showings in titles that aren't her own. Throwing Dr. Poison or Warmaster in the group will likely mean they will be killed off or treated as jokes. It's just the precedent that has been set. I would love if it were different, but sadly... here we are.

I don't think that's necessarily the minority. Donna and Cassie are so scarcely used in the title that I, as someone who reads Wonder Woman almost exclusively as far as DC goes, barely register them most of the time.
    I don't think DC would kill Giganta. She isn't used much outside WW comics, but she is still a big enough staple that they wouldn't kill her. I would say she is at the same level as Parasite. Plus while the idea of her being an ape transformed into a woman is quite funny, it's not embarrassing to the point where she becomes a mock villain. She is literally a giant woman, which isn't necessarily intimidating, but also isn't as weird as a cheetah woman or a crazy nazi (Paula Von Gunther).

Add that to my list. It was so frustrating seeing Wonder Woman reference daddy Zeus once again in this week's ish.

Also add to my list for 2021:

No Jason, no Grail, no Max Lord, and no Liar Liar.
    Yeah, there was a pretty bad daddy Zeus reference in one of the Death Metal tie-ins.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There certainly is a disconnect between Donna being pretty much the Dick Grayson of the IP she's tied with, but is considerably less important to it than Dick is to his.

I like pre-COIE Donna Troy from the NTT era a lot. It's the main reason why I will always want her included as part of Diana's family. But that is again mainly from another book (albeit one that included Hippolyta and Diana in some of Donna's best arcs/scenes), not WW. She depends on the WW brand to sell herself (Wonder Girl), but is part of another book. None of the other O5 Titans have that problem, so it's perhaps not surprising that she's as much of a mess as she is. I guess we could have her stop ever having been Wonder Girl in continuity, but that would confuse the issue further. Because there she is in all the iconic NTT reprints and merchandise with a lasso and bracelets.

Circe to get another big showing in the WW book.

For the main book to be good.

Historia to come out and for us to get another BL WW book.

That’s about all I can hope for right now. Her video game showings will continue to be awful with I3 and SSKTJL and sadly I don’t think a solo game for her is coming. Would be nice to get a cartoon or another animated movie.

De Liz to gift us with Legend of Vol. II.

I was gonna bite my tongue and not ask for clay origin, but since others have gone there, I will, too—clay origin!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.