Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

For me, the less they aknowledge the Countdown, FC/Blackest Night, and Shazam stuff, the better

I was afraid that Prime was going to take the BWL offer, just like Mobius/Anti-Monitor before him.. But man, he really changed for the better (against all odds) !
    This issue, is the Swan Song for the character, and I really really really hope DC can let the guy finally have what he always wanted and desired.. Peace, and a live/future with Laurie and his family

Prime, may you remain happy, forever and ever.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Wow. What a great comic. Loved it. Going to miss Geoff Johns writing on DC.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

This was such a great issue. I really enjoyed it. Much better than how Prime is usually depicted. And don't get me wrong I enjoy that as well...but this was just a sweet issue. Gave me the feels. Who doesn't love Krypto.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Wow. What a great comic. Loved it. Going to miss Geoff Johns writing on DC.
    Is he going anywhere, I thought he was writing on Infinite Frontier and a rumored follow up to three jokers (if Bleedingcool is to be believed)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Is he going anywhere, I thought he was writing on Infinite Frontier and a rumored follow up to three jokers (if Bleedingcool is to be believed)
    Yeah he’s doing a Stargirl story in the one shot. Might be doing JSA or a Stargirl mini rolling out of that. It all depends on whether WB is going to cut ties with him based on what the investigation found.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I was under the impression that he pretty much left DC when he announced his project for image. Except with the odd project here and there like 3 Jokers.

I was surprised to see Johns on Infinite Frontier. Especially with the fact that most big writers seem to be absent from the new DC. Hopefully I'm wrong and he sticks around.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Honestly I probably hate Prime more than some on this forum hate BWL
    Hopefully this is the last time we ever have to see the angsty whiny superboy keyboard warrior ever again
    He got his happy ending real or imagined this should be the characters retirement

This piece was very good. I was convinced that Superboy Prime was saved in the end in that way. But on the other hand, he has committed a number of evil deeds. Especially Earth-15, where the Earth itself was destroyed and a tremendous number of lives were lost. And even after the Flashpoint, Earth-15 is still in ruins. Could his return to the original world have undone these damages? And even if these things are undone, he has not atoned for his sins. In other words, I thought the story of his redemption should be depicted.
    Last edited by robotgarden; 12-23-2020 at 07:45 PM.

BANNED

Loved the issue, IT'S PRIME TIME.
    well, that ending is probably better than whatever Scott is going to come up with in issue 7.
    Honestly could be a solid ending right there.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I haven’t read it yet, because I’m still trying to catch up. I saw this image on my Facebook and realized I own every single issue on the spinner rack. My top 3 are: Sword of the Atom, All Star Squadron, and Batman.
    81D64A40-2630-4AA5-A3AC-39A2DCF5393E.jpg

So Glad Prime beat up BatLMFAO

Also we don't deserve dogs

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default But maybe you should go outside for a walk, too.

I'd like to, Superboy. But it's 2 AM and winter here, so that would be kind of difficult. Might be worth it if it turned out like yours, though.

Overall I liked this story. Some of these specials have been better than others. The worst ones don't add anything except maybe telling us the origin of a character who shows up in a single panel of the main series, or they just tell filler stories that don't add anything at all. The best ones actually feel like a part of the main story or they check in on characters we love, showing what they're thinking and feeling while caught up in the huge "Anti-Crisis." Secret Origin splits this down the middle, telling us the story of how Superboy Prime essentially cuts off Batman Who Laughs' source of reinforcements while also summing up and maybe concluding Prime's narrative arc. It feels satisfying to me.

We could argue if Prime deserves redemption or if it's even possible to rewind him back to the way he was before the first Crisis. Prime's murdered a lot of people in terrible ways. I haven't read all of his appearances but I know that he destroyed an entire world in Countdown because it was "boring." Even in Prime's appearances written by Geoff Johns he's usually portrayed as a narcissistic psychopath. In Legion of 3 Worlds he murdered people left and right, and there was even a comic where he got back to Earth Prime and was still exploding people when they mildly inconvenienced him. But you could argue (as this comic does) that none of it felt real to him. Prime rejected the reality of the people he killed even as everyone around him rejected his humanity. Even when he got back to Earth Prime that wasn't his real home, because it didn't have Laurie. For Prime it was just another level in the endless virtual reality hell he's been stuck inside since 1985.

Now Prime's really back, because this world has Laurie and his parents and everyone else. And the story seems to suggest that these are the "real" people who were killed in the Crisis, because Laurie makes a remark about how the colors seem different now, like the world has been recreated but isn't exactly the same as before. And given this opportunity for redemption Clark shows that he has changed because he risks his own life to save a random child. I don't know what he means when he says "Laurie was right. I have to try." but the implication is that he's no longer psychotic, these people are real and their lives matter to him.

I don't know how it happened, but I'm fine with this ending for Superboy Prime. Maybe he didn't deserve it, but then again, he didn't deserve what happened in the Crisis either. Let this be a new start.

And yes, Krypto is a very good dog, and so is Krypto Prime. I love that final page where Superboy is doing his Action Comics #1 pose, and Krypto is making sure that little girl doesn't run into the street. That dog is the same in every universe.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robotgarden View Post
    This piece was very good. I was convinced that Superboy Prime was saved in the end in that way. But on the other hand, he has committed a number of evil deeds. Especially Earth-15, where the Earth itself was destroyed and a tremendous number of lives were lost. And even after the Flashpoint, Earth-15 is still in ruins. Could his return to the original world have undone these damages? And even if these things are undone, he has not atoned for his sins. In other words, I thought the story of his redemption should be depicted.
    I don't think any of it has been undone, but Earth 15 in particular might be undone if Death Metal somehow results in the rebuilding of the multiverse. And as for atonement, how do you properly atone for crimes like his? Going to prison isn't an option. I think he's sort of been in prison since the first Crisis, since he was trapped in multiple worlds that didn't feel real, where he felt nothing but rage and despair.

It isn't perfect, but I like the idea that he's finally getting his chance to be a true Superboy. Hopefully he'll save many lives on Earth Prime and eventually grow up to be a proper Superman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    I don't think any of it has been undone, but Earth 15 in particular might be undone if Death Metal somehow results in the rebuilding of the multiverse. And as for atonement, how do you properly atone for crimes like his? Going to prison isn't an option. I think he's sort of been in prison since the first Crisis, since he was trapped in multiple worlds that didn't feel real, where he felt nothing but rage and despair.

It isn't perfect, but I like the idea that he's finally getting his chance to be a true Superboy. Hopefully he'll save many lives on Earth Prime and eventually grow up to be a proper Superman.
    Earth-15 was recreated thanks to Hal on Morrison's The Green Lantern as a more cynical version of Earth 0. It has the depressoverse and Batmanson :P