View Poll Results: What's your final verdict on Mariko Tamaki's run?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

1 2.86%
  • ★★★★

2 5.71%
  • ★★★

7 20.00%
  • ★★

18 51.43%
  • 4 11.43%
  • I didn't read it.

3 8.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's Your Verdict... Tamaki's Run!

I had no idea her run was over - I thought there were at least a couple more issues. I guess I forgot about the Future State coming up in January.

Today is Tamaki's final issue... so, what are your thoughts on her overall run? Was it memorable? How does it compare to previous runs? What are some things you feel should have been different? What changes did she bring to the character and her mythos that you loved and didn't love?

My thoughts: it's bad. Real bad. The entire run is very brief at only 11 issues, but it is entirely devoted to a Maxwell Lord story where he isn't even the main antagonist. That role goes to brand new supervillain Liar Liar, who I couldn't be less interested in. As we found out in today's issue, though, Max is still a bad guy. We probably haven't seen the last of him (ugh).

I'm really surprised to see some review sites giving this run favorable reviews. They're seeing something I just cannot, and I can't wrap my head around it. I would really love for fans of this run to show me what I'm missing.

I only read the first couple issues and Tamaki's short story for one of the Death Metal tie-ins. The first few weren't bad if just rather boring for me as it's not really what I look for when reading Wonder Woman. I mainly dropped it for financial reasons rather than anything else, though that I found it rather boring didn't make it a hard drop.

I'll say that I at least think Tamaki has a good/decent voice for Diana, based more on the short story from the Death Metal tie-in. Though even there it's undercut by that it takes place in an event that I'm not really fond of.

That said, Max Lord currently dukes it out with Jason for probably my most hated character in a WW book.

Astonishing Member

From the start, I assumed that the rabbit was the mastermind, then it turned out the rabbit is somehow Max Lord, which makes no sense.

Rabbit should have been Queen of Fables and Diana should have gotten an opportunity to redeem Liar Liar instead of setting up a potential sequel hook.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    From the start, I assumed that the rabbit was the mastermind, then it turned out the rabbit is somehow Max Lord, which makes no sense.

Rabbit should have been Queen of Fables and Diana should have gotten an opportunity to redeem Liar Liar instead of setting up a potential sequel hook.
    I thought it would be Queen of Fables, too. There are so many past elements used here but not referring to them (such as the Max Lord/Liar Liar relationship being far too similar to the Duke of Deception and his daughter Lya's). I'm inclined to think Tamaki only has a very shallow knowledge of Wonder Woman's mythos. If DC hired her simply to tell a Maxwell Lord story arc, then fine. But there was half a year of this and that's far too long.

Incredible Member

Disappointing. I had a little hope for a twist with the Rabbit being either Duke of Deception or Queen of Fables. It being Maxwell Lord and him still messing with her at the end was a let down.

Wondering what is up to the flashback of Diana fighting Zeus. Not happy about the Zeus origin, But at least they're referring to him as "something dark" instead of that cringe inducing comment from Hippolyta that Diana is her father's daughter in the Death Metal Story.

Nice seeing the Amazon Embassy again, briefly.

Being charitable, there's nothing seriously wrong with her run over all, and it definitely seems this was commissioned as a movie synergy tie-in. And I'll admit I'm not big on Max as Wonder Woman foe or her archenemy. But I was liking Orlando's overall direction and it definitely looks like he was removed from the book prematurely to make room for this which is a big disappointment.

My final verdict is that it's about average maybe a little bit below. Not great, but there's far worst out there.

Cautiously optimistic about the Infinite Frontier status quo. On one hand I'm not happy about Diana getting kicked upstairs and not able to interact with her supporting cast like Artemis, Donna, Cassie, the newly reintroduced Nubia or the new member Yara which is what I'd like to see, but on the other hand being up in the Godsphere means she'll be doing something new and not dealing with Maxwell Lord. I also don't think it'll last much more than a year so I'm willing to give it shot.

I believe the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy got it correct.

"Mostly harmless."

Nothing exciting, nothing damaging, nothing memorable. Solid 3.

It was so boring, I think Rebirth in general has been one of the most boring runs in Wonder Woman's history. I could complain that i don't think she feels powerful but I've done that a lot since the Nu52. The twist felt disappointing and unearned, Max has not earned a place in Diana's rouges list and the fact that he's treated as one despite his only contribution is getting his neck snapped by our hero seems forced. Liar Lair is a weak villain with no real motivation and only gets interesting after her mental breakdown. I really wish this was Dr. Psycho or Queen of Fables trying to get back at Diana, using a powerful little girl as a catalyst, but instead its Max. Most of the run was about a team up no one wanted that ended up being trash anyway, with Max "shockingly" betraying Diana by the end of it. Tamaki also has this father/daughter relationship angle between Max and Emma along with Diana and Zeus, it also goes no where and doesn't really pose anything. Like the daughter of Zeus origin, why was it even here in the first place?

Anyway its over, the next writers seem promising but again I'm not holding my breath.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I'll give it 2.5 out of 5 stars, or about average: nothing truly terrible but nothing outstanding either.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I gave it 2 stars. it was sloppy, amateur writing with little to captivate the audience or progress Diana to any new ground. It was basically another writer coming along that wanted to focus on their pet creation(Liar Liar) rather than build up much of anything else in the Wonder Woman Universe.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Meh.

/10characters

2 stars. I have no patience for runs that don't feature any of her actual villains (I don't count Max Lord as such) and it's especially egregious when the run is centered around an original character.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Sadly, the best i can say about most rebirth WW runs so far, is i'm glad that iit's over after they finish. This one was another boring run where the pet character was the central piece. And Diana was just there in her own book, fighting a villain that yet again, has no strong or well developed reason to be fighting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I thought it would be Queen of Fables, too. There are so many past elements used here but not referring to them (such as the Max Lord/Liar Liar relationship being far too similar to the Duke of Deception and his daughter Lya's). I'm inclined to think Tamaki only has a very shallow knowledge of Wonder Woman's mythos. If DC hired her simply to tell a Maxwell Lord story arc, then fine. But there was half a year of this and that's far too long.
    Nothing new under the sun factor is strong I fear. Posting Janin as artist was a big loss for the run.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Bought the first two issues and lost interest. I'm not the biggest fan of Janin, but he did some good work there. Tamaki's voice for Diana didn't seem too off if I recall, but I just can't with Maxwell Lord. Pedro Pascal will probably win me over for that version of Max because I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen, but otherwise I really just can't with Max as a heel.

Really did feel like a plate spinning run, which is a shame. Probably doesn't help that I enjoyed Orlando's take a lot more and that I appreciated that his mission statement was "female heroes working together" only to see it cut short with his exit. I know he was towards the end of DC's usual three year trial period for talent, but he was probably her best writer on this volume after Rucka.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The biggest detractors to this run were the constantly changing artists. Starting off with Michael Janin, who DC hyped up for the book only to have him stay two issues was a massive let down. Then Humberto Ramos, who is an excellent artist in his own right but his style was completely wrong to follow Janin (and ostensibly wrong for the character.) Pugh and Sandoval were much better choices, but sadly too late.
    The unfortunate truth is that the run was solid middle of the road. In an interview, Tamaki's voice for Diana was good and everyone felt in character, it was just not so exciting. This, more than Steve Orlando's run, felt like filler. Perhaps they should have made this a digital first separate series and let Orlanda carry the book to future state. I gave it a three.