Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Are we just talking writers? Bechko is wonderfully thoughtful sci-fi, Immonen is probably the most underrated Marvel writer in the last decade, Wilson is a home run hitter when she digs in, and Visaggio killed that Phantom King story.

Artists... too many haha.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Gail Simone and Amanda Conner are among my favorite creators, so they'd be a great choice.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Gail Simone wrote an excellent but all to short run of Action Comics from #827-834.

Aa long as there is not SJW bs. Honestly whoever. Preferably someone that know about of Science fiction. That's were Superman shines.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Aa long as there is not SJW bs. Honestly whoever. Preferably someone that know about of Science fiction. That's were Superman shines.
    So you naturally assume any woman coming to work is going to be "SJW bs?" Why is that even on the table? Come on, dude. Be better than this.

Jan Duursema. Her art style was similar to that of Dale Keown and early Gary Frank.

Maybe Joelle Jones. On the writing end obviously Catwoman is pretty damn far from being comparable to Superman, but just in terms of quality I like her work there. And I'm a big fan of her on the art end as well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    So you naturally assume any woman coming to work is going to be "SJW bs?" Why is that even on the table? Come on, dude. Be better than this.
    I don't know Prime's reasoning, but I think he means "some" female writers, not "any" (where did he say this anyways?) woman.

Some female writers should definitely stay away from Superman lore, such as KSD, Simone and Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Maybe Joelle Jones. On the writing end obviously Catwoman is pretty damn far from being comparable to Superman, but just in terms of quality I like her work there. And I'm a big fan of her on the art end as well.
    Solid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I don't know Prime's reasoning, but I think he means "some" female writers, not "any" (where did he say this anyways?) woman.

Some female writers should definitely stay away from Superman lore, such as KSD, Simone and Thompson.
    I think all three of them make for solid choices in the Superman line. And yes, when someone asks "what female creators would you like on the book" and the first thing you respond with is "well no SJWs," frankly it's odd that doesn't come up with male writers who do the same kinds of stories (WAID, but also Russell). So yes, it appears targeted at women because they're a minority in the field.

And I don't see how it's possible to look at Superman's corner and think "the only thing we DON'T need is different voices here or for Superman to tackle current social issues" without coming across as some kind of, well, Comicsgator. Yes, there's such a thing as poor, hamfisted execution but all three writers you mentioned are seasoned professionals who have great work under their belt. But keeping any different approaches or keeping Superman "safe" is what's made the IP languish in mediocrity for the better part of two decades at least.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-27-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think all three of them make for solid choices in the Superman line. And yes, when someone asks "what female creators would you like on the book" and the first thing you respond with is "well no SJWs," frankly it's odd that doesn't come up with male writers who do the same kinds of stories (WAID, but also Russell). So yes, it appears targeted at women because they're a minority in the field.

And I don't see how it's possible to look at Superman's corner and think "the only thing we DON'T need is different voices here or for Superman to tackle current social issues" without coming across as some kind of, well, Comicsgator. Yes, there's such a thing as poor, hamfisted execution but all three writers you mentioned are seasoned professionals who have great work under their belt. But keeping any different approaches or keeping Superman "safe" is what's made the IP languish in mediocrity for the better part of two decades at least.
    Going out of the "safe zone" shouldn't mean alienating the fanbase/creating a split. Take a look at N52 for example or even currently (although he's finally finished his runs thank God) Bendis' run? His run was abysmal.

Lemme guess you loathed Tomasi's and Jurgens' runs?

Going out of the "safe zone" shouldn't mean alienating the fanbase/creating a split. Take a look at N52 for example or even currently (although he's finally finished his runs thank God) Bendis' run? His run was abysmal.

Both Jurgens and Tomasi alienated the fanbase and created a split when they killed off the New 52 Superman to bring back Superdad dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Both Jurgens and Tomasi alienated the fanbase and created a split when they killed off the New 52 Superman to bring back Superdad dude.
    Perhaps here on CBR, but lots of fans I'd talked to embraced their runs.

Perhaps here on CBR, but lots of fans I'd talked to embraced their runs.
    Anecdotal evidence is utterly worthless. I know people who despise Tomasi & Jurgens stuff, and given I assume you hang out with people with similar tastes as yours, of course people in your social group liked their stuff.

I greatly enjoyed the Rebirth era of Superman, actually. Part of what drew me back to comics after I lapsed around New 52. Every run "alienates" or "splits" fans because we have 80 years of different characterizations people latch on to. It's just the usual jackasses who want to peg it on women and minorities telling stories about their experiences as suddenly a big new issue. The marriage alienated fans. Them getting split up alienated fans. The reboot alienated fans. Bringing back Pre-FP Superman alienated fans. Giving them a kid alienated fans. Taking the kid away alienated fans.

Just about the only way to unite the fans is cancel the goddamn book because then we'd all join arms and say "give us a Superman book" and the minute they do, you guessed it, they'd alienate fans because there is no "universally lauded" take on Superman that extends beyond, perhaps, an annual or so. You may want to point to Morrison but I've met so many people who think All-Star is just silver age fanwank and that Morrison is too heady for Superman. I've met people who think DCAU Superman is the best Superman and yet I think he's extremely middling. I refuse to believe that it's women and minorities finally getting to tell stories that are the straw that broke the camel's back. Again, execution is everything and some of those stories well and truly suck. Some are rad. But whinging hard about "SJWs are ruining my comics" just makes people come across as the worst examples of Comicsgate, and if I'm being honest (and this is anecdotal so it means nothing) I've yet to meet one person who could legitimately explain how they're ruining comics in a way that conclusively pins it down to them as opposed to the person making the argument just coming across as some closeted bigot, either knowingly or unknowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This right here. I like Superdad a lot. A lot of fans don't and that's perfectly valid.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-27-2020 at 05:20 PM.