Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Don't forget the Byrne Superman, the Superman that started the splits in the first place.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Don't forget the Byrne Superman, the Superman that started the splits in the first place.
    If there were dedicated discussions, I'm certain there would have been splits from "social crusader," "children's science fiction hero," and onward. Byrne wasn't really the first, likely just the first major one when fandom became recognized. I firmly believe there were people who hated that Superman worked as a news reporter for a time before CoIE.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If there were dedicated discussions, I'm certain there would have been splits from "social crusader," "children's science fiction hero," and onward. Byrne wasn't really the first, likely just the first major one when fandom became recognized. I firmly believe there were people who hated that Superman worked as a news reporter for a time before CoIE.
    Apparently the creator of the Peanuts strip thought they ruined Superman when they had him start to fly

No clue if that’s true or not but it’s funny so I believe it

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Apparently the creator of the Peanuts strip thought they ruined Superman when they had him start to fly

Good ol' Charlie Schultz. I guess flight was Clark's kicking the football.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    This came up elsewhere. It's been quite a while since we had a female creator work on Superman (Gail Simone, I think?). Which female creator would you like to see work on the Man of Steel?
    why would I care? I'm not going to spend time with a female creator, I'm not going to date her, the only thing I can judge her on is her work, as that is the only thing I would interact with. I don't see the author only her work, so if its a him or her, white or black, it doesn't matter, the only thing that does matter is the product.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

For real? Lol I find that so fascinating. Does anyone have any extra info on this?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    For real? Lol I find that so fascinating. Does anyone have any extra info on this?
    The original Superman could not fly, his means of locomotion was similar to the incredible Hulk, he jumped around a lot, that is why they made a big deal about his ability to jump over tall buildings in a single bound, because he could not fly over those buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    The original Superman could not fly, his means of locomotion was similar to the incredible Hulk, he jumped around a lot, that is why they made a big deal about his ability to jump over tall buildings in a single bound, because he could not fly over those buildings.
    Oh I'm aware. I just wanted to know why Shultz thought it was a bad idea. Did he feel it broke the character or was the dynamism of seeing someone leaping lost?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    you are wrong(sort of).Sure,superman used to be jump.But,he used to run on electric wires and cables of the grid to get around
    Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Oh I'm aware. I just wanted to know why Shultz thought it was a bad idea. Did he feel it broke the character or was the dynamism of seeing someone leaping lost?
    My opinion,yes it is.Even goldenage flight was altogether like swimming through air and gliding than just taking a pose.I am just glad there are people who think like me
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-01-2021 at 02:46 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Ming Doyle
    Tini Howard
    Joelle Jones
    Kelly Thompson
    Gail Simone
    Ann Nocenti
    Jen Bartel
    Fiona Staples
    Mariko Tamaki
    Tula Lotay
    Emma Rios
    Karla Pacheco
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Ming Doyle
    Tini Howard
    Joelle Jones
    Kelly Thompson
    Gail Simone
    Ann Nocenti
    Jen Bartel
    Fiona Staples
    Mariko Tamaki
    Tula Lotay
    Emma Rios
    Karla Pacheco
    Would love to see Jen Bartel do some of the art, be it covers or interior. Looking forward to her WW Future State stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Would love to see Jen Bartel do some of the art, be it covers or interior. Looking forward to her WW Future State stuff.
    She's a tremendously talented artist but I'm waiting on her WW book to see her storytelling potential. If it works as well as I'm hoping, I would love to have her in the Super books.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's a tremendously talented artist but I'm waiting on her WW book to see her storytelling potential. If it works as well as I'm hoping, I would love to have her in the Super books.
    It worked damn well in Blackbird, her Image book with Sam Humphries.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    It worked damn well in Blackbird, her Image book with Sam Humphries.
    Damn, I'll have to give that a look. I have high hopes for Immortal Wonder Woman, at least in terms of artwork.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Well, those of us who had Jen Bartel on their wish list may have a bingo, albeit a brief one.

spoilers:
    Superman shows up in this week's Immortal Wonder Woman. Kind of a Kingdom Come look.
    end of spoilers