Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Biggest Hollywood Fail

So what do you think is the biggest Hollywood fail? be it an actor that everyone thought would be big but didnt work out, a hyped tv show that was cancelled after a season, a big time movies that bombed off its ass (I'm Looking at toy Cats!)

So let me know what you guys think? I would love to hear your alls thoughts.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I think of Ishtar and Dune. Can't believe they're rebooting that.

Mighty Member

John Carter

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Dune is also based on a series of inspiring and successful novels. John Carter still holds up as a movie and would fit right in with the MCU.
    Tom Cruises Mummy or something like that

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

People still talk about how Heaven's Gate was a colossal stink bomb.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Fake 3D movies after Avatar

Splitting movies in 2 parts. the only series that needed this was harry potter 7

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Fake 3D movies after Avatar

Splitting movies in 2 parts. the only series that needed this was harry potter 7
    Those are two of my big grips. Avatar was filmed with 3D in mind from the beginning. Then, once it hit big, every studio started giving every film the 3D treatment. Most were just converted after the fact and it looked like crap.

Harry Potter definitely needed 2 parts for 7 (it helps that the novel actually had that obvious split). Mockingjay didn't need it. Breaking Dawn certainly didn't. Heck, even JJ thought about splitting TROS and giving it the 2 part treatment until those at Lucas Film told him it was best to leave it at 9 only.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    John Carter
    John Carter should have been a hit. Not sure why it wasn't. Personally, I think it was the name. It should have been Warlord Of Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    John Carter should have been a hit. Not sure why it wasn't. Personally, I think it was the name. It should have been Warlord Of Mars.
    I recall the marketing seemed incredibly embarrassed of anything that might actually make the film stand out, from not mentioning Mars in the title at all, down to using an incredibly generic, un-fantasy themed typeface on the poster. Personally, I think the film failed the minute John Carter shaved his beard off - no-one wants to see a mop haired hero with a baby face.

Am I wrong to think that Frank Miller's The Spirit was a hell of a missed opportunity? I mean, had that movie had a better script and featured The Spirit in a blue costume, and perhaps, been less campy, it might have gone down as one of the greats, up there with Batman Begins and Superman: The Movie.

https://comixntoonz.blogspot.com/201...ro-movies.html

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Dune is also based on a series of inspiring and successful novels.
    And it didn't fail that hard, they didn't make much money out of it, if any, if it's hardly the biggest fail of Hollywood.

Hell, Hellboy 2019 failed way harder than that just to take a recent example.

Waterworld? Though thats more on Costner than anyone else.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not of couse Hollywood's biggest fail but i feel like Solo deserves a mention here, being the first Star Wars movie to actually tank.

Makes me kinda feel bad for that dude playing Solo, he just can't catch a break lol, he has more stinkers in his career than Ryan Reynolds.

Hang on there bro, hang on!!
    Last edited by Starter Set; 12-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Wanted to see if there was a concrete answer to the OP question.
    This is from a 2019 article so, pretty up to date...:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hol...swered-1235693

So what was the biggest loser? It's a toss-up. Disney's 2012 sci-fi opus John Carter cost $263.7 million (plus at least $100 million for marketing) and earned only $284 million worldwide — just half what it would have needed to break even — forcing the studio to take a $200 million write-down, though the loss connected to the movie was only $136.6 million.

Still, that puts Andrew Stanton's Carter a smidgen ahead of the Renny Harlin flick that had reigned supreme until then: 1995's Cutthroat Island reportedly cost $98 million, but its budget may have been much higher and topped $115 million when domestic marketing costs were factored in, per a 1996 New York Times report. Cutthroat earned $15.7 million worldwide, according to Comscore. It pushed Carolco Pictures into bankruptcy and lost $118 million (adjusted for inflation) according to the Guinness Book of World Records — which doesn't account for international marketing, whose precise cost is unknown.

Without those numbers, John Carter takes the dubious crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not of couse Hollywood biggest fail but i feel like Solo deserves a mention here, being the first Star Wars movie to actually tank.

Makes me kinda feel bad for that dude playing Solo, the dude just can't catch a breath lol, he has more stinkers in his career than Ryan Reynolds.

Hang on there dude, hang the freak on.
    I was never a huge SW fan, but i AM a huge Solo fan.
    I waited 41 years for a Solo movie and was NOT disappointed. It was great!
    Too bad not enough other ppl thought so.