Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Pretty much every live action adaption of a cartoon has typically not fared well, deserved or otherwise. Avatar: The Last Airbender. Dragonball Evolution. Speed Racer. And... (shudders) Jem and the Holograms.
    I think the stuff based on long-established cartoon franchises like Transformers, TMNT, and on Saturday morning/nostalgia classics Ruby Spears/Filmation/Hanna-Barbera (Scooby-Doo, Alvin and Chipmunks, Smurfs etc) have done well, regardless of the quality of the movies themselves) they made some decent $. Although in many cases that's because they have big tie-in toy lines (and I know TMNT started out as a comic but I think the cartoon helped it reach a larger audience).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I liked the Postman, too.

When you adjust for inflation, these are the current top 10 by BO intake losses:

Mortal Engines $178
    Cutthroat Island  $176
    The Lone Ranger $176–209
    Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas $174
    Titan A.E. $148
    The Adventures of Pluto Nash $136.1
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within $136
    A Wrinkle in Time $133.2
    The Alamo $127
    John Carter $127–223
    Sinbad was a flop? I didn't know that ,I loved that animation..I kind of feel Tom Cruise's Mummy remake was a flop(apparently its BO intake is in flop category for sure)Wasnt it supposed to usher Universal's monster universe? I think all those plans are on ice now
    Last edited by Rev9; 12-24-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Ultimate Member

The problem with many cartoons made into movies is that they change to much about them to, update or modernize them to make them better or fix what the producers and such of the movie see as the shows mistakes and such, by making them vehicles to support some flash in the pan musical artist with their new song that bombs...

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

If you want to go classic: Wizard of Oz, Cleopatra and It's A Wonderful Life!
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-25-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    If you want to go classic: Wizard of Oz, Cleopatra and It's A Wonderful Life!
    To be fair, Oz made oodles of money, it was just so expensive and over budget that it took years to make a profit.
    Same with Cleopatra, it was the top Box Office in 1963, and still lost money.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Sinbad was a flop? I didn't know that ,I loved that animation..I kind of feel Tom Cruise's Mummy remake was a flop(apparently its BO intake is in flop category for sure)Wasnt it supposed to usher Universal's monster universe? I think all those plans are on ice now

I think they're more or less adopting the post Justice League DC model, instead of a shared universe they're dealing with the properties more independently, such as Invisible Man.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    John Carter
    Which is a damn shame because I really liked the movie.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not of couse Hollywood's biggest fail but i feel like Solo deserves a mention here, being the first Star Wars movie to actually tank.

Makes me kinda feel bad for that dude playing Solo, he just can't catch a break lol, he has more stinkers in his career than Ryan Reynolds.

Hang on there bro, hang on!!
    Which is too bad because it was the one non-main series Star Wars movie that I liked.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Waterworld? Though thats more on Costner than anyone else.
    Another movie I actually liked.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise E View Post
    That seems to have changed with Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog. Though only time will tell if Hollywood has learned from their successes and has turned a corner on video game movies. Let's hope they have since there is actually a lot of potential in the genre.
    Netflix seems to be banking big on Video Game adaptions. After the success of Castlevania and The Witcher they are throwing money at more adaptions. They have Dragons Dogma with Devil May Cry, Sonic the Hedgehog, two Resident Evil projects and Assassin's Creed down the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think in both cases those weren't really straightforward adaptations of the games; but took the characters and put them in a different setting. I think the Tomb Raider reboot was a modest hit and mostly followed the 2013 game story, although it toned down it's story and violence significantly.
    Detective Pikachu movie is based on the Detective Pikachu game.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Netflix seems to be banking big on Video Game adaptions. After the success of Castlevania and The Witcher they are throwing money at more adaptions. They have Dragons Dogma with Devil May Cry, Sonic the Hedgehog, two Resident Evil projects and Assassin's Creed down the pipe.
    Witcher's a bit different I think; although it was the video games (especially 3) which sort of brought the series to a worldwide audience and paved the way for the Netflix show, the show itself (so far) is based on the novel and short story stuff that takes place before the games. I suppose eventually if they go past the novels they may adapt the game trilogy; although I don't know if that'll work out (I've heard the novel creator isn't too fond of the games which are sequels to his novels).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Witcher's a bit different I think; although it was the video games (especially 3) which sort of brought the series to a worldwide audience and paved the way for the Netflix show, the show itself (so far) is based on the novel and short story stuff that takes place before the games. I suppose eventually if they go past the novels they may adapt the game trilogy; although I don't know if that'll work out (I've heard the novel creator isn't too fond of the games which are sequels to his novels).
    The novel's creator isn't fond of the games because he made a bad deal. When CD Project approached him to license his novel for a game series he chose a large one time payment over royalties because he didn't believe the game would be a success. Once the game started selling by the millions and eclipsed his books he became every bitter over them. His resentment is due on all the cash he lost out on due to his lack of faith.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'm surprised no one mentioned The Golden Compass yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned The Golden Compass yet.
    Not sure many people even remember it for being honest.