Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Oh i liked well enough but...well...it did fail.

After Earth, because Will Smith had set it up to be a big continuing series. There was a bible written about the universe.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Cuttthroat Island and John Carter being the worst seems to be right on the money. Or off of it, as the case may be. Here is a list that seems pretty accurate, for the Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/ne...rs-in-history/

I've only seen two on that list - The Postman and Green Lantern. Definitely good calls on those two being on the list.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-23-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    After Earth, because Will Smith had set it up to be a big continuing series. There was a bible written about the universe.
    After Earth bombed because of Nepotism.

Will Smith was pushing his son too hard. Did Jayden Smith even audition for the role?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Cuttthroat Island and John Carter being the worst seems to be right on the money. Or off of it, as the case may be. Here is a list that seems pretty accurate, for the Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/ne...rs-in-history/

I've only seen two on that list - The Postman and Green Lantern. Definitely good calls on those two being on the list.
    The Postman has come up in conversation on different sites over the years.
    Most ppl seem to have liked it, myself included. But again, not enough ppl liked it.

I liked the Postman, too.

When you adjust for inflation, these are the current top 10 by BO intake losses:

Mortal Engines $178
    Cutthroat Island  $176
    The Lone Ranger $176–209
    Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas $174
    Titan A.E. $148
    The Adventures of Pluto Nash $136.1
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within $136
    A Wrinkle in Time $133.2
    The Alamo $127
    John Carter $127–223
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    After Earth bombed because of Nepotism.

Will Smith was pushing his son too hard. Did Jayden Smith even audition for the role?
    Yes Jayden wasn't very good. But that's not why it bombed. The movie was inane and mostly sucked, despite some good FX.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Wasn't the Mars removed because they wanted to avoid it being mistaken for the (also flopped) Mars Needs Moms?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Pretty much every live action adaption of a cartoon has typically not fared well, deserved or otherwise. Avatar: The Last Airbender. Dragonball Evolution. Speed Racer. And... (shudders) Jem and the Holograms.

Video game movies have pretty much all failed, too, though they don't seem to fail the biggest.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Video game movies have pretty much all failed, too, though they don't seem to fail the biggest.
    Wasn't Warcraft a major dud? I remember people on this board saying it would be bigger than LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    John Carter should have been a hit. Not sure why it wasn't. Personally, I think it was the name. It should have been Warlord Of Mars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I recall the marketing seemed incredibly embarrassed of anything that might actually make the film stand out, from not mentioning Mars in the title at all, down to using an incredibly generic, un-fantasy themed typeface on the poster. Personally, I think the film failed the minute John Carter shaved his beard off - no-one wants to see a mop haired hero with a baby face.
    I remember seeing the trailers for John Carter, and having absolutely no desire to see it. It turns out, however, that I was seeing the SECOND trailer. When I finally saw the very first trailer they put out, THAT made me want to see the movie. So I would absolutely say that marketing was the reason that movie bombed.

But sticking with John Carter- Taylor Kitsch seems to be an actor that Hollywood wanted to make a big star, but he just kept getting saddled with bomb after bomb. Topher Grace also feels that way- he just couldn't seem to get the right movie to be big, and now I haven't seen him in years.

And finally- Sean Young. An actress that Hollywood gave numerous chances to break big, who is all but forgotten now. A combination of bad luck and bad behavior on set.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    John Carter should have been a hit. Not sure why it wasn't. Personally, I think it was the name. It should have been Warlord Of Mars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I recall the marketing seemed incredibly embarrassed of anything that might actually make the film stand out, from not mentioning Mars in the title at all, down to using an incredibly generic, un-fantasy themed typeface on the poster. Personally, I think the film failed the minute John Carter shaved his beard off - no-one wants to see a mop haired hero with a baby face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Wasn't Warcraft a major dud? I remember people on this board saying it would be bigger than LOTR.
    It was big in China.

Spectacular Member

That seems to have changed with Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog. Though only time will tell if Hollywood has learned from their successes and has turned a corner on video game movies. Let's hope they have since there is actually a lot of potential in the genre.

I think in both cases those weren't really straightforward adaptations of the games; but took the characters and put them in a different setting. I think the Tomb Raider reboot was a modest hit and mostly followed the 2013 game story, although it toned down it's story and violence significantly.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth