Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I wonder how John Carter would have done without Disney being behind it, as Disney seems a tad tame for it given some of the costumes in the comics and such...
    I don't think the movie itself, or the costumes, which were fine, had anything to do with it's failure, it was the atrocious marketing that doomed it. And that was Disney's fault.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Would that JEM movie be considered a failure as they pulled it from theaters after like a week or so...because it was doing so poorly...
    It was pulled after less then two weeks! Black nerd did a video of opening night and they were the only ones there! Good news is it was a really cheap film to make so they only lost of marketing (it wasn't even a jem movie! He took a unmade script and changed the names to jem cast and added a robot and called it a day! The misfits tease was filmed after the backlash!) It did kill the jem brand however. Worse is idw did a much better jem update in the comics that was tons better then the movie! A small comic company did jem better then a billion dollar movie studio!

Here is the black nerd video! No one else showed up in a huge city on opening night but them two!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    People still talk about how Heaven's Gate was a colossal stink bomb.
    Much like how the suffix "gate," from "Watergate," became a term to define any presidential scandal, I think "Heaven's Gate" is still the film that the industry uses as shorthand for an enormous and legendary failure.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't think the movie itself, or the costumes, which were fine, had anything to do with it's failure, it was the atrocious marketing that doomed it. And that was Disney's fault.
    I just meant that they had to tone a lot of it down to fit what Disney would allow for a movie...if nothing else the less Disney costumes would have gotten some attention if not gone overboard...

And I actually like Jack and the Giant Slayer, the actress that played the princess went on to play Demelza on Poldark on PBS, took me a bit to realize that...

BANNED

I just meant that they had to tone a lot of it down to fit what Disney would allow for a movie...if nothing else the less Disney costumes would have gotten some attention if not gone overboard...

And I actually like Jack and the Giant Slayer, the actress that played the princess went on to play Demelza on Poldark on PBS, took me a bit to realize that...
    I don't think, that John Carter would have gotten away with using the "outfits" in the books with or without Disney. Esp. not in the USA with the "nudity is worse than bloodshed" mentality being a thing.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 01-05-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

Perhaps, then again they could have upped the violence and gore and all of that as well so that might have helped...

Perhaps, then again they could have upped the violence and gore and all of that as well so that might have helped...
    Doing that and-or the costume thing would have made the audience smaller, not larger. When you move away from a General Audience movie, you limit the audience.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Well there are plenty of action film franchises that have some violence and gore, without going overboard, so they could have gone a bit further with the outfits as well without going overboard and probably been just fine...