Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Spider-Man: Bloodline/J.J. Abrams Spider-Man 5

The last issue of Spider-Man: Bloodline came out today and the ending was unexpected.

spoilers:
    When Mary Jane was killed back in issue 1, she became one of the Cadaverous guy's minions. Somehow she was able to fight Cadaverous' control and save Ben, whose spider DNA was part of the key Cadaverous wanted to use to bring his deceased love one back to life. Mary Jane was going to use the key on Peter was going to die from the damages his body received in issue 4, but he told Mary Jane to use it on herself, restoring her to her human form. At the end of the issue Mary Jane, Ben, and Aunt May are living together and Tony Stark mails Ben his own Spider-Man suit that has the same logo as Miles Morales' suit.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Pattern_Maker; 12-09-2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Misspelled title of book

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Thank god that’s over.
    Last edited by your_name_here; 12-09-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Thank for that’s over.
    The positive I can give the series is the artwork.

This story J.J. and Henry Abrams told was too big to be a five-issue miniseries. Thought about doing a re-read to see if I missed any plot points.

For this to be the first time one of Peter's sons headlines a series and inherits the Spider-Man mantle it was just missing something that made Mayday and Annie likable. And Peter abandoning his son to keep him from finding out that he was the son of Spider-Man felt so wrong. I've had people in real life tell that many fathers abandoned their children like this because they don't want them to know about stuff they have done, but I can't see Peter abandoning any of his children like he did Ben. Especially with Mary Jane's death hurting them both.

HAHAHAHA, I knew there would be a twist somehow so spoilers:
    MJ would live
    end of spoilers. I'll pick up this issue to finish up my little story gladly.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

spoilers:
    At the end of the issue Mary Jane, Ben, and Aunt May are living together and Tony Stark mails Ben his own Spider-Man suit that has the same logo as Miles Morales' suit.
    end of spoilers

I want to give the benefit of the doubt and just assume that maybe it's the end result of Sarah Pichelli being the artist, but something like that certainly doesn't dissuade the criticism that this is just lesser versions of "Spider-Man Legacy" stories we've gotten in the past lol
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 12-09-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    The positive I can give the series is the artwork.

This story J.J. and Henry Abrams told was too big to be a five-issue miniseries. Thought about doing a re-read to see if I missed any plot points.

For this to be the first time one of Peter's sons headlines a series and inherits the Spider-Man mantle it was just missing something that made Mayday and Annie likable. And Peter abandoning his son to keep him from finding out that he was the son of Spider-Man felt so wrong. I've had people in real life tell that many fathers abandoned their children like this because they don't want them to know about stuff they have done, but I can't see Peter abandoning any of his children like he did Ben. Especially with Mary Jane's death hurting them both.
    Exactly right. It would work if Peter was a bad guy ( The Tainted Blood concept). My take on this? Abrams is Dan Slott on steroids and the best thing about it was the villain.

can't believe the TFA/ROS guy turned out something horrifically uninspired
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Amazing Member

At least Peter redeemed himself at the end.

Okay artwork from a great artist. I think this will mostly be remembered in negative lists. This for me at least, is up there with the worst spidey minis i've ever read.

BANNED

I honestly don't know what was the point of this series.

It just felt bad and scatterbrained. It's got a premise that was done better in Spider-Girl, Renew Your Vows, and the end of this feels like a rip-off of SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY's final issue.

Is Sara Pichelli doing something after this? Jumping ship to DC, maybe?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    At least Peter redeemed himself at the end.

Okay artwork from a great artist. I think this will mostly be remembered in negative lists. This for me at least, is up there with the worst spidey minis i've ever read.
    I still think Chapter One was worse. That said it makes the Bottom 10 of Spider-Man stories.

At least it's finally over.

I dropped this abomination after issue two. That said, I had a very hard time holding on once they fridged MJ. I know the Abrams boys wanted to tell a father & son story but killing off the iconic mother in such a disrespectful and brutal fashion just to get her out of the way was an atrocious choice.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-09-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    At least it's finally over.

I dropped this abomination after issue two. That said, I had a very hard time holding on once they fridged MJ. I know the Abrams boys wanted to tell a father & son story but killing off the iconic mother in such a disrespectful and brutal fashion just to get her out of the way was an atrocious choice.
    I agree. Just killed her brutally for no good reason. Have some debris or something fall on her off panel. It' still crappy but to have some nobody cyborg villian kill her to up his ante, the way they did.... yuck!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is Sara Pichelli doing something after this? Jumping ship to DC, maybe?
    I wouldn't be surprised if she gets recruited by DC. They've been pretty consistent in poaching artists who aren't locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I honestly don't know what was the point of this series.

It just felt bad and scatterbrained. It's got a premise that was done better in Spider-Girl, Renew Your Vows, and the end of this feels like a rip-off of SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY's final issue.
    That's kind of my big walking away point. There are just so many other better "legacy of Spider-Man" stories that this just comes off incredibly weak by comparison.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 12-09-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

So here's something I didn't realize until re-reading issue five:

spoilers:
    Cadverous' Key that restored MJ to her human form gave her Spider-Powers since it was made from Peter's and I think Ben's Spider-DNA. It's easy to gloss over since all you see her do is lift heavy rumble and she feels the spider-sense once with Peter and Ben.
    end of spoilers