Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man 54.LR discussion

Only minor spoilers.

Interesting having the prologue be reprinted pages of SPEC #200 (keeps with the theme of folding very specific past scenes into the current story ala the twist on BND in ASM#53), but the downside is it reminds me how much better the writing was in that earlier comic and just makes me want to read it instead. No offense to this current filler issue. It was fine if empty of any real forward momentum (except for one notable moment), I guess. But seeing SPEC #200 in here is like that feeling when you watch a so-so movie in which the characters are watching or talking about a much better movie and it just makes you want to watch that instead.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 12-23-2020 at 03:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Only minor spoilers.

Interesting having the prologue be reprinted pages of SPEC #200 (keeps with the theme of folding very specific past scenes into the current story ala the twist on BND in ASM#53), but the downside is it reminds me how much better the writing was in that earlier comic and just makes me want to read it instead. No offense to this current filler issue. It was fine if empty of any real forward momentum (except for one notable moment), I guess. But seeing SPEC #200 in here is like that feeling when you watch a so-so movie in which the characters are watching or talking about a much better movie and it just makes you want to watch that instead.

I guess the Spec 200 pages served as a flashback but Im sure as hell glad they kept the word "husband"(the part Harry said to MJ "your stinking husband" in those pages instead of editing to boyfriend or something to reflect post OMD timeline. maybe its done on purpose

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I guess the Spec 200 pages served as a flashback but Im sure as hell glad they kept the word "husband"(the part Harry said to MJ "your stinking husband" in those pages instead of editing to boyfriend or something to reflect post OMD timeline. maybe its done on purpose
    That’s an excellent point.

BANNED

Great catch.

Huh, didn't even notice that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    If Marvel are banking on time to dissolve fan desire for Spider-Man to get married, then they are in for a big shock because it has nothing to do with time. For as long is Peter Parker is a single young adult who is of age to marry combined with romantic drama being present in the book, the desire for him to be married will remain. On top of that, as long as Mary Jane stays a prominent love interest who is the focus of much of the romantic drama, she will continue be a top fan favorite for fans to desire Peter to be married with. This will never go away and it has nothing to do with him having already been married in the past. But that does add to it and make it even more pressing on fans.
    The impact some stories have eventually is going to be gone, maybe they can still be popular or infamous, but time eventually makes them look smaller and smaller, someday that's probably gonna happen with OMD, after all, Clone Saga was also a shitstorm, yet it's way less bitched about nowadays, it may even get praises.

Imagine a world where Peter never married Mary Jane and he was still single and having romantic stories where she is his girlfriend, do you really think fans wouldn't all be complaining about when are these two going to finally get married? No, lol, long time fans would be itching for it as it's just a natural desire for humans to want to see, especially for such a human character as Peter Parker who is supposed to be relatable to people.
    We had Superman never getting married with Lois for over 50 years despite her being his most prominent love interest of all, and marriage being a rather constant subject between 'em lol.

People can bitch and moan about things never changing, but comic books are also the kind of medium people bitch and moan if changes happen, hell, we had people against the marriage once it happened lol.

It would take the entire human race to collectively and culturally abandon the institution of marriage to change things... not time.
    Well, marriage nowadays is seen as a less important thing, maybe even optional, definitely not the same as that "Everyone has to get married at some point" nonsense, so yeah, to a certain extent that can happen, although obviously not everyone will want to abandon this overrated tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    One more thing, as decades go by the big stories can be talked about as if they happened yesterday. I mean, we can talk about the events in Amazing Fantasy #15 just as easily and with just as much attention as we could with say, Spider-Island. The big stories, the controversial stories, will always get the most focus and attention though. I can't think of a bigger or more controversial story than OMD, so until it is addressed, people 100s of years will still speak of it and dwell on it just as clearly as we can speak and dwell on any story we choose today from Spidey's past. Time will not change that.
    People can talk about old stories more easily nowadays, but reading an old story and understanding the impact it had back then compared to nowadays are two very different things, specially the emotional impact the story has back when it was being published.

AF#15, Spidey's origin story, back then it was a very tragic origing with a character who had his head shoved too far up his ass who had a loss because of dramatic irony, which was practically unheard of among super-heroes, nowadays heroes have tragic stories all the time, so AF#15 stands out a lot less.

OMD can easily be seen as just some dumb story that is not even hated after a while, 'cause fans may just read it, think "Man, this was dumb", then move on to something else.

So yeah, I doubt this hate will last forever even if Marvel never addresses OMD, 'cause people move on, it can be forever seen as a dumb story, but impact those stuff have are often forgotten by people overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The impact some stories have eventually is going to be gone, maybe they can still be popular or infamous, but time eventually makes them look smaller and smaller, someday that's probably gonna happen with OMD, after all, Clone Saga was also a shitstorm, yet it's way less bitched about nowadays, it may even get praises.

Sure OMD's impact I would say is already seen as a dumb story, but my point isn't really about OMD as a story being seen as good or bad.

My point is the status quo of the character being single vs. married is always going to be a thing with fans. Again, this is regardless of the character's history of being married, but the fact that he was and the way it was erased will always be fuel in the pro-marriage camp. And the pro-marriage camp's existence will be there forever, regardless of whether or not OMD even existed or not... no matter in what way the marriage was removed or whether it had happened before.

I think reason for this is Peter as a character is someone who is in fact very into the idea of getting married. We have seen that all through his history, from the first time he proposed in the 70s, then again in the 80s, the legacy of his marriage over 2 decades, and then even now in the current run again. Every decade of his existence marriage has been advertised and integrated into the stories. It's ingrained in his character. Even Into The Spider-Verse shows his future in not one, but TWO realities, he is married to MJ. It's in his Life Story. It's in multiple realties including MC2 and Renew Your Vows.

So until Marvel moves away from this with the character completely, it's going to remain a hot topic. And the fact that's it's been so pervasive means its really going to have to be a complete altering of Peter as a character to change that.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 12-26-2020 at 11:36 PM.

spoilers:
    huh Kingpin and Norman team up wonder who will betray the other also I should have realized Norman was faking it cause Sin Eater never mentioned anything about obtaining his powers. Well next issue should be a good dialogue between the characters
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Fantastic Member

Absolute waste of Sin Eater to just have him off himself. I guess by this point I shouldn't really be surprised to be let down, but ultimately theres no real payoff for him at all here. Him realizing he was betrayed and the truth of Kindred would be great if he confronted Harry about it, him obliterating himself would be good if he somehow couldn't control his powers or something and they end up obliterating him with some drawback or over extension he couldn't handle, but to just shoot Carpenter, see the future then off himself is so blegh after he took up most of the .LR chapters and a fumble to his arc

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Absolute waste of Sin Eater to just have him off himself. I guess by this point I shouldn't really be surprised to be let down, but ultimately theres no real payoff for him at all here. Him realizing he was betrayed and the truth of Kindred would be great if he confronted Harry about it, him obliterating himself would be good if he somehow couldn't control his powers or something and they end up obliterating him with some drawback or over extension he couldn't handle, but to just shoot Carpenter, see the future then off himself is so blegh after he took up most of the .LR chapters and a fumble to his arc
    what i find more mess up was the message at the end of the issue saying suicide is bad well why promote then

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I really liked this issue. The art is excellent, and the dialogue is on-point.

This bit here is an all-time moment for the character who says it, and also the character it's about, in that it accurately defines Spider-Man and his world:

ASM#55.LR - MJ speech.jpg

Also the Nick Lowe editor's note at the end is hilarious and self-aware if you know your Spider-Man history and the fuss about KLH.

kraven kill himself right

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    kraven kill himself right
    Yep, there was talk if that was glorifying suicide or any such thing back in the day. So that's why Lowe has to be all panicky and so on here.

Also, I will say that might be the biggest Madame Web moment for any version of the character since "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut".

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

This bit here is an all-time moment for the character who says it, and also the character it's about, in that it accurately defines Spider-Man and his world:

Also the Nick Lowe editor's note at the end is hilarious and self-aware if you know your Spider-Man history and the fuss about KLH.
    You tell 'em MJ .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

I couldn't have said it better!

Now, about the "twist" of the last panel, are you really surprised? I mean, I said it from the very beginning: Sin-Eater's cleaning of sins was not going to work. Why?, well, because as far as I see, Norma Osborn is too rotten to ever be "cleaned". And who would know it? I was right!

Now, Kingpin's presence was a surprise, but I should have known, considering this whole thing seems to be turning around "One More Day". I'm afraid about what it will happen at the end, because even if Kindred is stopped, I believe Kingpin will cause a major disaster for Peter.

By the way, if you ask me, I would say they are preparing the field for OMD being undone in Amazing Spider-Man #900 and restore the marriage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I couldn't have said it better!

Now, about the "twist" of the last panel, are you really surprised? I mean, I said it from the very beginning: Sin-Eater's cleaning of sins was not going to work. Why?, well, because as far as I see, Norma Osborn is too rotten to ever be "cleaned". And who would know it? I was right!

Now, Kingpin's presence was a surprise, but I should have known, considering this whole thing seems to be turning around "One More Day". I'm afraid about what it will happen at the end, because even if Kindred is stopped, I believe Kingpin will cause a major disaster for Peter.

By the way, if you ask me, I would say they are preparing the field for OMD being undone in Amazing Spider-Man #900 and restore the marriage.
    That is wishful thinking. I will not be reading when it comes out but Amazing 1000 can be published and OMD will remain. Why? Marvel loves OMD just like they love other suck ass stories like Clone Saga. The only story that has been buried that was bad was Chapter One ( I liked Reign more then most but that has been buried as well). I would not be shocked if the Stacy Twins and Sins Past (which I have never heard defended unlike even OMD/BND), rear its ugly head again.