Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man 54.LR discussion

Only minor spoilers.

Interesting having the prologue be reprinted pages of SPEC #200 (keeps with the theme of folding very specific past scenes into the current story ala the twist on BND in ASM#53), but the downside is it reminds me how much better the writing was in that earlier comic and just makes me want to read it instead. No offense to this current filler issue. It was fine if empty of any real forward momentum (except for one notable moment), I guess. But seeing SPEC #200 in here is like that feeling when you watch a so-so movie in which the characters are watching or talking about a much better movie and it just makes you want to watch that instead.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 12-23-2020 at 03:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Only minor spoilers.

Interesting having the prologue be reprinted pages of SPEC #200 (keeps with the theme of folding very specific past scenes into the current story ala the twist on BND in ASM#53), but the downside is it reminds me how much better the writing was in that earlier comic and just makes me want to read it instead. No offense to this current filler issue. It was fine if empty of any real forward momentum (except for one notable moment), I guess. But seeing SPEC #200 in here is like that feeling when you watch a so-so movie in which the characters are watching or talking about a much better movie and it just makes you want to watch that instead.

I guess the Spec 200 pages served as a flashback but Im sure as hell glad they kept the word "husband"(the part Harry said to MJ "your stinking husband" in those pages instead of editing to boyfriend or something to reflect post OMD timeline. maybe its done on purpose

spoilers:
    huh Kingpin and Norman team up wonder who will betray the other also I should have realized Norman was faking it cause Sin Eater never mentioned anything about obtaining his powers. Well next issue should be a good dialogue between the characters
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Fantastic Member

Absolute waste of Sin Eater to just have him off himself. I guess by this point I shouldn't really be surprised to be let down, but ultimately theres no real payoff for him at all here. Him realizing he was betrayed and the truth of Kindred would be great if he confronted Harry about it, him obliterating himself would be good if he somehow couldn't control his powers or something and they end up obliterating him with some drawback or over extension he couldn't handle, but to just shoot Carpenter, see the future then off himself is so blegh after he took up most of the .LR chapters and a fumble to his arc

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Absolute waste of Sin Eater to just have him off himself. I guess by this point I shouldn't really be surprised to be let down, but ultimately theres no real payoff for him at all here. Him realizing he was betrayed and the truth of Kindred would be great if he confronted Harry about it, him obliterating himself would be good if he somehow couldn't control his powers or something and they end up obliterating him with some drawback or over extension he couldn't handle, but to just shoot Carpenter, see the future then off himself is so blegh after he took up most of the .LR chapters and a fumble to his arc
    what i find more mess up was the message at the end of the issue saying suicide is bad well why promote then

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I really liked this issue. The art is excellent, and the dialogue is on-point.

This bit here is an all-time moment for the character who says it, and also the character it's about, in that it accurately defines Spider-Man and his world:

ASM#55.LR - MJ speech.jpg

Also the Nick Lowe editor's note at the end is hilarious and self-aware if you know your Spider-Man history and the fuss about KLH.

kraven kill himself right

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    kraven kill himself right
    Yep, there was talk if that was glorifying suicide or any such thing back in the day. So that's why Lowe has to be all panicky and so on here.

Also, I will say that might be the biggest Madame Web moment for any version of the character since "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut".

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I really liked this issue. The art is excellent, and the dialogue is on-point.

This bit here is an all-time moment for the character who says it, and also the character it's about, in that it accurately defines Spider-Man and his world:

ASM#55.LR - MJ speech.jpg

Also the Nick Lowe editor's note at the end is hilarious and self-aware if you know your Spider-Man history and the fuss about KLH.
    You tell 'em MJ .

Yep, there was talk if that was glorifying suicide or any such thing back in the day. So that's why Lowe has to be all panicky and so on here.

Also, I will say that might be the biggest Madame Web moment for any version of the character since "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut".
    i dont like madam web she doesnt seem useful at all just vague to be vague

Well, one one more to go. Good to see evil Norman again even if it doesn't make that much sense.

Yeah, i think that because of that DeMatteis also wrote Soul of the Hunter, when Peter helped Kraven's spirit to find peace.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

I just wonder what Kingpin and Norman think they're gonna be able to do to Kindred. Guy has shown so many powers I don't think a bunch of thugs shooting him is gonna slow him down.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Yeah, i think that because of that DeMatteis also wrote Soul of the Hunter, when Peter helped Kraven's spirit to find peace.
    No wonder he was ticked at his family for bringing him back...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Well, one one more to go. Good to see evil Norman again even if it doesn't make that much sense.
    I really do not see the point of getting rid of Norman’s sins then making him evil again so quickly. I really see a missed opportunity by Spencer. I would have liked to have had Norman kill Harry ( to make him pay for his actions down through the years), and then go away for a bit before returning as evil as ever. I would rather see Otto back then more of evil Norman.