Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default A look back at the great Len Wein's run on Justice League of America

This was a very nice write-up CBR did on the great Len Wein's run as writer on JLA (issues 100-114). Particularly focusing on issue #110 "The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus!".

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-s...aus-christmas/

That was when I started buying Justice League of America (with issue #103 for myself, but I had picked up issues #101 and #102 for my sister when she was away that summer and read them). It was a great run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This was a very nice write-up CBR did on the great Len Wein's run as writer on JLA (issues 100-114). Particularly focusing on issue #110 "The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus!".

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-s...aus-christmas/
    Definitely the best-written run of the JLA. I didn't regularly check the credits in those days, but there was a notable drop in quality when Wein left (and Bates and Maggin took over).

I hear the Englehart issues are good, but haven't read those yet. George Perez stories were the best-illustrated -- and Gerry Conway did an above average effort on those, but I still rank Wein number one. Oh, and the Nick Cardy covers for Wein's run were some of the best -- particularly JLA 100 and the one with the Shaggy Man.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

My first Len Wein JL story was the epic search for the 7 Soldiers reprinted in the DC Blue Ribbon Digest #11.

BlueRibbonDigest11.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    My first Len Wein JL story was the epic search for the 7 Soldiers reprinted in the DC Blue Ribbon Digest #11.

BlueRibbonDigest11.jpg
    That was one of the best JLA-JSA team ups ever, but Len outdid even this one with the appearance/creation of the Freedom Fighters in the next team up.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post

BlueRibbonDigest11.jpg
    This sounds amazing! I will have to hunt a copy down.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

That was my first JLA story as well -- beginning with JLA #100. I picked that up because Superman and Batman were on the cover. I was already reading Teen Titans because of Robin, so I was aware of Kid Flash, Wonder Girl and Speedy before I was introduced to Wonder Woman (Mod version and Golden Age version), Flash (SA and GA), and Green Arrow (SA and GA). It was an epic 3-parter, except that I was unable to get the third part until maybe 20 years later. The back issue companies never had it in stock!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    . . . Oh, and the Nick Cardy covers for Wein's run were some of the best -- particularly JLA 100 and the one with the Shaggy Man.

Ah the great Len Wien. I love the satellite era so I'll have to dig these up and read them sometimes.

I wonder if it's out on TPB?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Ah the great Len Wien. I love the satellite era so I'll have to dig these up and read them sometimes.

It looks like all of the Len Wein run except for the story from issue #114 were included in Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1 hardcover published back in 2017, but I don't know about any tpb collection of all those JLA stories from #100-114.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It looks like all of the Len Wein run except for the story from issue #114 were included in Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1 hardcover published back in 2017, but I don't know about any tpb collection of all those JLA stories from #100-114.
    What did they do with issue 103? That's the Rutland Hallowe'en issue, where some guests are cosplaying as Captain America, Spider-Man and Thor. In the original comic, the Marvel Faithful have accurate costumes. In the SHOWCASE PRESENTS reprint, some distinguishing features have been whited out, blacked out or altered.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Thanks, I shall see if I can track it down at my local comic shop.

Thanks, I shall see if I can track it down at my local comic shop.
    Word of forewarning: it wasn't exactly an inexpensive hardcover collection.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1

In these adventures from the early 1970s, classic members of the League including Superman, Batman, the Flash, Green Arrow, the Atom and Black Canary face a Thanagarian invasion and encounter fellow super-teams the Justice Society of America, the Seven Soldiers of Victory and the Freedom Fighters! Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #77-113.
    Art by: Various, Joe Giella, Dick Dillin
    Cover by: Karl Kerschl
    Written by: Len Wein, Mike Friedrich, Dennis O'Neil
    U.S. Price: $99.99
    On Sale Date: Mar 22 2017
    https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...of-america-the

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I believe his run is covered in the black and white Showcase Presents reprints.

Apparently this is Grant Morrison's favorite Justice League run. He later used the White Martians and Libra.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I believe his run is covered in the black and white Showcase Presents reprints.

Apparently this is Grant Morrison's favorite Justice League run. He later used the White Martians and Libra.

I was surprised that the Nebula Man and the Oracle were from this era of the Justice League. Grant Morrison repurposed those ideas for his Seven Soldiers series.

Morrison also repurposed Libra for Final Crisis. Len Wein was so good!
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-25-2021 at 04:11 PM.