Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I always find such points to be funny, since christmas is older than Jesus, as it was about some solstice, and it got adapted to be about Jesus.

Basically, **** changes.
    Well, from what I read, ancient civilization celebrated Christmas, or at least similar to that, as to celebrate the end of each year or winter solstice. The celebration of Christmas as more defining, specific holiday was indeed formed after coming of Jesus. So at least to me, Jesus still matters in Christmas celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I remember that one. Good scene, and if I remember right, that arc ended with Peter attempting to reconnect with his faith. Given that this run happened right after Secret Wars (2015) destroyed and recreated the Marvel Multiverse, I could see that being the reason --- among others in his life --- he lost that faith in the first place.
    I also think it also have to do with author tract from Dan Slott himself, since he seems to prefer portray Peter as a man of science. Given how he was one who writes the Spidey run at that time, he seems to view Peter as the scientist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    I also think it also have to do with author tract from Dan Slott himself, since he seems to prefer portray Peter as a man of science. Given how he was one who writes the Spidey run at that time, he seems to view Peter as the scientist.
    Dan Slott himself is Jewish and observant I believe. He actually speaks about Marvel and religion in this article for Salon.
    (https://www.salon.com/2017/05/28/doe...all-above-one/) So he's not someone with any agenda in terms of Peter one way or another.

J. M. DeMatteis is part Catholic and part Jewish and in "Soul of the Hunter" he tried to express some of his spiritual ideas, which are also individual and personal.

And again, "scientist" is not a religious affiliation. There are religious people who are scientists. This kind of thinking is inherently right-wing or right-leaning, not to mention profoundly unscientific to say with.

Scientists are human beings and a lot of them can be good at their chosen discipline or field. Ben Carson is a brilliant surgeon but he's also religious. The American physicist Freeman Dyson, whose concept of Dyson Sphere was important for Jonathan Hickman's runs on FF, Avengers and X-Men (Sol's Hammer is an attempt to create one)...is also religious. I can go on.

I say this by the way as an atheist myself. I don't think being a scientist or following any discipline in any field inherently shapes your ideology or thought process. As always individual choice in relation to upbringing, society, circumstances is important. You have to choose to be an atheist otherwise your society and culture and the level of influence religion has in a given society shapes your attitude to belief for good and bad, and for better and worse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Dan Slott himself is Jewish and observant I believe. He actually speaks about Marvel and religion in this article for Salon.
    (https://www.salon.com/2017/05/28/doe...all-above-one/) So he's not someone with any agenda in terms of Peter one way or another.

J. M. DeMatteis is part Catholic and part Jewish and in "Soul of the Hunter" he tried to express some of his spiritual ideas, which are also individual and personal.

And again, "scientist" is not a religious affiliation. There are religious people who are scientists. This kind of thinking is inherently right-wing or right-leaning, not to mention profoundly unscientific to say with.

Scientists are human beings and a lot of them can be good at their chosen discipline or field. Ben Carson is a brilliant surgeon but he's also religious. The American physicist Freeman Dyson, whose concept of Dyson Sphere was important for Jonathan Hickman's runs on FF, Avengers and X-Men (Sol's Hammer is an attempt to create one)...is also religious. I can go on.

I say this by the way as an atheist myself. I don't think being a scientist or following any discipline in any field inherently shapes your ideology or thought process. As always individual choice in relation to upbringing, society, circumstances is important. You have to choose to be an atheist otherwise your society and culture and the level of influence religion has in a given society shapes your attitude to belief for good and bad, and for better and worse.
    I am a Christian, and one thing I have always believed is God gives us a choice to do good or bad. I always use this example: You hear so much about people who abuse women and children use the excuse, “I was abused.” I always say “Did you like it done to you? If not don’t do it to someone else.” This is personal for me because I suffered physical, verbal and psychological abuse from my mother, but I have never done those things to a woman or child in my life. Does it make me perfect? Not even one atom compared to God, so I have lots of room for improvement. But I can honestly say what I went through shapes my attitudes ( even when it comes to comics). Maybe that is why I have less sympathy for Harry then almost anyone posting here.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Try to think if it doenst bode well for Peter and MJ if Spidey is doing a speed date with Captain Marvel after her break up with Roade or if he's just helping out a friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I remember that one. Good scene, and if I remember right, that arc ended with Peter attempting to reconnect with his faith.
    Yeah, he's going to church in the last issue.

The story was stupid though, Peter reacts to some stuff like they shouldn't be possible, like someone coming back from the dead... When Peter himself not has seen people come back from the dead, he himself did, he was being too arbitrarily skeptical about stuff, like he was in silver age again lol.

Given that this run happened right after Secret Wars (2015) destroyed and recreated the Marvel Multiverse, I could see that being the reason --- among others in his life --- he lost that faith in the first place.
    I guess, but I'm pretty sure that story just decided to have Peter have no faith only to start to believe in it again, so, y'know, like every other "atheist being converted" story ever lol.

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    Well, from what I read, ancient civilization celebrated Christmas, or at least similar to that, as to celebrate the end of each year or winter solstice. The celebration of Christmas as more defining, specific holiday was indeed formed after coming of Jesus. So at least to me, Jesus still matters in Christmas celebration.
    Jesus is definitely important when it comes to christmas and I didn't mean to imply otherwise, my point is that the meaning of stuff like celebrations can change, and christmas became less about Jesus over time, as it's more family overall, though a lot of it is consumerism too, and there are still those who'll celebrate it because of Jesus, but it's definitely more than just Jesus now.

The "1.x" issues from volume 4 were written by Jose Molina, not Slott.

Cool, but that doesn't change the fact that scientists in media are overall portrayed as atheists, which was the whole point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am a Christian, and one thing I have always believed is God gives us a choice to do good or bad. I always use this example: You hear so much about people who abuse women and children use the excuse, “I was abused.”
    Thing about abused people becoming abusers is that they want payback, and they end up making innocent people suffer because of this desire for payback.

Not that it justifies what they do, 'cause even if they have this half assed excuse, they're just as disgustingly evil for making people suffer as someone with no excuses.

-------------

I hope that more new villains are created. Kindred just doesn't do it for me. Somebody that's more of a thief but not a murderer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    -------------

I hope that more new villains are created. Kindred just doesn't do it for me. Somebody that's more of a thief but not a murderer.
    We honestly have a lot of thieves already. What I would really love is for them to actually develop the "out-there" villains that they have. Morlun feels as bland as when he entered, and Marvel was too scared to follow through with Judas or the Totems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Try to think if it doenst bode well for Peter and MJ if Spidey is doing a speed date with Captain Marvel after her break up with Roade or if he's just helping out a friend?
    There's no suggestion in the Captain Marvel solicit that Spidey (or any of her other friends) are actually going on a date with Carol. Particularly as speed dating with people you know obviously wouldn't work anyway.

It's more like, they've set her up in an attempt to cheer her up.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Also, as the other guy pointed out... Peter isn’t Jewish.
    The ironic thing about that being that Stan wrote Peter as a young Jewish kid from Queens but told us he was a Protestant Christian. But everything about the way he was written was Jewish.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    The ironic thing about that being that Stan wrote Peter as a young Jewish kid from Queens but told us he was a Protestant Christian.
    Stan co-wrote Peter as Peter Parker and never defined his religious identity or ethnic identity anyway. It wasn't his thing. He saw Peter as a secular character.

But everything about the way he was written was Jewish.
    Everything about Ben Grimm was Jewish and that's because Grimm was largely a creation of Jack Kirby who had a profound sense of Jewish identity and religiously observant as well.

I don't think Spider-Man arises to that level. And attempts to claim Spider-Man for being Jewish at the expense of the actual Jewish characters in publication history i.e. Ben Grimm/Thing (who was intended to be Jewish but confirmed on-page only in the 2000s) as well as Kitty Pryde (the first outright Jewish superhero in comics...and one of the few undeniable firsts female superheroes have to themselves)...feels problematic and a bit like erasure.

Obviously people are free to assume or interpret Spider-Man per their own attitudes and systems, but seeing Spider-Man as Jewish because Stan Lee is Jewish, is to assume a bunch of stuff that's either not true or doesn't have evidence:

1) Stan Lee had the same sense of Jewishness that Jack Kirby did, rather than an assimilated sensibility. The biographical and empirical facts point against this. Most Jewish comics creators in the Golden Age, whether it's Eisner, Lee, Bill Finger, Siegel, Shuster believed in assimiliationism and secular American identity. Very few had a strong sense of Jewishness, Kirby definitely, and Eisner developed it much later in life. More than that, all of them saw comics as a commercial gig and not as a means of personal expression.

2) The stuff that people assume is Jewish about Spider-Man, i.e. living and having to care for an elderly Aunt May, being bogged down and troubled by his peers, and having a sense of guilt comes from Lee, when in fact that comes from the gentile atheist Ditko where originally Lee complained about Aunt May being too old and ugly and so on, and Lee when he directed the books more on his own after Ditko left, had Peter's world brightened up far more and had Aunt May written out of the books for most of Lee-Romita's run.

The ironic thing about that being that Stan wrote Peter as a young Jewish kid from Queens but told us he was a Protestant Christian. But everything about the way he was written was Jewish.
    As a lifelong New Yorker who grew up in Brooklyn, I can attest that there are a lot of characteristic similarities between Italians and Jews, particularly in NY. I am not suggesting Peter is Italian but I always assumed he was some blend of Irish/English. His surname and appearance were, perhaps intentionally, non-descript but his traits that some find to be rooted in the Jewish community (caring for an elderly relative, worrisomeness, living at home as a young adult) are in fact very much present in the NYC Italian community as well. Although I did not know as any of them growing up in Brooklyn, those traits may extend to Protestant Christians in NY as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    As a lifelong New Yorker who grew up in Brooklyn, I can attest that there are a lot of characteristic similarities between Italians and Jews, particularly in NY. I am not suggesting Peter is Italian but I always assumed he was some blend of Irish/English. His surname and appearance were, perhaps intentionally, non-descript but his traits that some find to be rooted in the Jewish community (caring for an elderly relative, worrisomeness, living at home as a young adult) are in fact very much present in the NYC Italian community as well. Although I did not know as any of them growing up in Brooklyn, those traits may extend to Protestant Christians in NY as well.
    Caring for the elderly is common enough across a broad swathe of people and groups.

I think that's what makes Peter so universally relatable. The sense of obligation and dedication to studies and not always living up is common enough.

Especially in poor working class communities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    We honestly have a lot of thieves already. What I would really love is for them to actually develop the "out-there" villains that they have.
    Morlun feels as bland as when he entered, and Marvel was too scared to follow through with Judas or the Totems.
    Cadaverous was actually a good villain that Abrams created ( the only good thing about the comic). I certainly would not be opposed to him coming to 616.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    You're partly correct, at least on his mother's side, since her maiden name was Fitzpatrick.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

No disrespect towards diversity and the idea that Peter can be anyone, but this is a myth. There is no evidence Stan intended for Peter to be Jewish the way Ben Grimm was always intended to be.

Stan co-wrote Peter as Peter Parker and never defined his religious identity or ethnic identity anyway. It wasn't his thing. He saw Peter as a secular character.

Everything about Ben Grimm was Jewish and that's because Grimm was largely a creation of Jack Kirby who had a profound sense of Jewish identity and religiously observant as well.

I don't think Spider-Man arises to that level. And attempts to claim Spider-Man for being Jewish at the expense of the actual Jewish characters in publication history i.e. Ben Grimm/Thing (who was intended to be Jewish but confirmed on-page only in the 2000s) as well as Kitty Pryde (the first outright Jewish superhero in comics...and one of the few undeniable firsts female superheroes have to themselves)...feels problematic and a bit like erasure.

Obviously people are free to assume or interpret Spider-Man per their own attitudes and systems, but seeing Spider-Man as Jewish because Stan Lee is Jewish, is to assume a bunch of stuff that's either not true or doesn't have evidence:

1) Stan Lee had the same sense of Jewishness that Jack Kirby did, rather than an assimilated sensibility. The biographical and empirical facts point against this. Most Jewish comics creators in the Golden Age, whether it's Eisner, Lee, Bill Finger, Siegel, Shuster believed in assimiliationism and secular American identity. Very few had a strong sense of Jewishness, Kirby definitely, and Eisner developed it much later in life. More than that, all of them saw comics as a commercial gig and not as a means of personal expression.

2) The stuff that people assume is Jewish about Spider-Man, i.e. living and having to care for an elderly Aunt May, being bogged down and troubled by his peers, and having a sense of guilt comes from Lee, when in fact that comes from the gentile atheist Ditko where originally Lee complained about Aunt May being too old and ugly and so on, and Lee when he directed the books more on his own after Ditko left, had Peter's world brightened up far more and had Aunt May written out of the books for most of Lee-Romita's run.
    This.

Plus, a lot of Jewish stereotypes are also traditional Irish stereotypes (hardworking, taking care of elders, guilt, etc.). Stereotypes shouldn't pinpoint a person's identity but even if they did, it wouldn't be immediately clear that Peter was Jewish.

If there is any part of Stan and Steve's identities that made it into Peter, I'm guessing it would be having unconventional parental figures. I sometimes wonder if Uncle Ben and Aunt May were a pseudo-metaphor for immigrant parents. They're older and usually more out-of-touch than your average parents, which is how many first-gen Americans feel about their parents growing up. Maybe they were part of the reason why Peter was such an easy target to Flash, like how having 'different' parents can often make someone a target in real life. And maybe Peter reminiscing of whatever little knowledge he has of his birth parents was inspired by Stan and Steve reminiscing of whatever little knowledge first-gens have of their roots growing up.

Then again, I have immigrant parents myself, so this could all just be me projecting.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-06-2021 at 11:28 AM.