Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Meh, Slott churned out so many "new costumes" during his run that it's hard for me to get excited about a new look for Spidey.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Meh, Slott churned out so many "new costumes" during his run that it's hard for me to get excited about a new look for Spidey.
    Yeah, Spidey's the one character you can never expect a new costume to last too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Batlol literally got his ass handed to him yesterday by Superboy-Prime. It was great.
    Man, not sure how to feel about one obnoxious character beating up another one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Spencer's run seems to finally kick into gear now, seems he has gotten over the initial clearing stage and his run can now begin proper.
    Man, taking 60 issues to begin a run...

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Oh god, that reminds me of that terrible job he had at the end of Slott's run.
    Ah yeah, the science editor thing, which had him inexplicably go along with reporters, even though editors don't do that lol.

I'm not even sure why Spencer is giving Peter a new job anyways though, since I can count on one hand the number of issues Peter has spent actually being a grad student lol
    If I'm not wrong, we only see that when he starts, and in the 2099 arc, and in those times it was to introduce something for the plot (Connors controls Lizard, Connors' speech being used to start the 2099 arc, and Clairvoyant), so yeah, his life in college is only shown when it matters for the plot... Which sucks really, 'cause it shows Spencer doesn't care about actually developing the characters there, chances are Peter will get the job, but most of it will be done off-screen...

It also doesn't help that Peter's social life mostly gets no screen time, I for example don't know Randy that much as a character, since I didn't really pay much attention to him whenever he showed up in older comics, and Spencer's run does little to show who the character is 'cause he has no focus, and he's Peter's roommate.

So yeah, unfortunately the new job may make no difference past its introduction, unless it just happens to be important for the plot at some point, but hey, I'd be glad to be wrong about this, unless the supporting cast from the job is just bad, or the job itself is bad lol.

Yeah, I'm always down for Peter getting some new looks. That was one of the things I liked most about Peter working at Horizon tbh.
    Would be cool if we get an 80's thing going on, when Peter changed between the red and blue, and the black suit (Though I think after a while he was pretty much using only the black suit until Venom showed up lol), was cool to see different costumes once in a while.

Although, maybe it could be better for him to wear one costume for a while, 'cause since Marvel doesn't give a **** about continuity, there's a high chance that Peter would be wearing one costume in one issue, then another in the next one, within the same story with one issue happening minutes after the other one lol.

I'm actually pretty excited for this as well. Honestly, I really wish Eddie had stayed Toxin and Flash had stayed as Venom, but given where we are now, I'm still pretty curious to see who Toxin's new host will be.
    I remember thinking that the opposite could work, Eddie as Venom, Flash as Toxin, although I only thought about Flash as Toxin once Eddie became Venom again, 'cause once that happened, very unlikely Eddie would stop being Venom, so Toxin would be a compromise for Flash to still have a symbiote.

KiB is teasing that something may happen to Venom so maybe Eddie will become Toxin again?
    I think that would be too soon, before Absolute Carnage, Eddie didn't have the Venom symbiote for a few issues until AC started, so Eddie losing the Venom symbiote as a "new" status quo again? Yeah, better wait longer for that to happen...

Then again, unlike pre AC, he would have a symbiote, so it's still very possible, but it would be weird for a comic called Venom to have another symbiote around for a while lol.

Still, considering that solicits only mentions Toxin's return in a tie-in, it's possible he'll only show up there, and if that's the case, I really hope this isn't a situation where Toxin is brought back only to be killed off, that would really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Spidey's the one character you can never expect a new costume to last too long.
    Yeah, the one that lasted the longest was the black suit, and that one was gone once Venom became a villain... Makes me wonder if that one would be the main one if there was no Venom.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Man, taking 60 issues to begin a run...
    Yeah, I think this run has definitely suffered from pacing issues throughout, which have only been made more apparent with Last Remains.

Ah yeah, the science editor thing, which had him inexplicably go along with reporters, even though editors don't do that lol.
    Oh god, don't even remind me lol

If I'm not wrong, we only see that when he starts, and in the 2099 arc, and in those times it was to introduce something for the plot (Connors controls Lizard, Connors' speech being used to start the 2099 arc, and Clairvoyant), so yeah, his life in college is only shown when it matters for the plot... Which sucks really, 'cause it shows Spencer doesn't care about actually developing the characters there, chances are Peter will get the job, but most of it will be done off-screen...

It also doesn't help that Peter's social life mostly gets no screen time, I for example don't know Randy that much as a character, since I didn't really pay much attention to him whenever he showed up in older comics, and Spencer's run does little to show who the character is 'cause he has no focus, and he's Peter's roommate.

So yeah, unfortunately the new job may make no difference past its introduction, unless it just happens to be important for the plot at some point, but hey, I'd be glad to be wrong about this, unless the supporting cast from the job is just bad, or the job itself is bad lol.
    Honestly the grad student thing was even worse than what you said. IIRC, we didn't even know Peter had accepted Connors' offer until we saw Peter working as a grad student at ESU in some random Squirrel Girl comic's solicitation in which he was guest-starring. I remember everyone having no idea whether Peter was working as a grad student or not until that Squirrel Girl comic came out, so lol...

I think I've mentioned something similar plenty of times - Spencer has kinda dropped the ball (IMO) in terms of balancing both the Peter and Spider-Man aspects of the comic. He's pretty much been full tilt towards the Spider-Man aspects (which I ironically recall as a common complaint for Slott's run). I hope Peter gets some love with the Valentine's issue coming up, and then the new job and whatnot.

Would be cool if we get an 80's thing going on, when Peter changed between the red and blue, and the black suit (Though I think after a while he was pretty much using only the black suit until Venom showed up lol), was cool to see different costumes once in a while.

Although, maybe it could be better for him to wear one costume for a while, 'cause since Marvel doesn't give a **** about continuity, there's a high chance that Peter would be wearing one costume in one issue, then another in the next one, within the same story with one issue happening minutes after the other one lol.
    I definitely think that would be cool. Obviously no suit will ever replace the iconic red and blues, but if the new suit is cool I'd love to see it get alternated in there since it would make it a longer lived presence in the title rather than just being there for like 2 issues.

I remember thinking that the opposite could work, Eddie as Venom, Flash as Toxin, although I only thought about Flash as Toxin once Eddie became Venom again, 'cause once that happened, very unlikely Eddie would stop being Venom, so Toxin would be a compromise for Flash to still have a symbiote.
    Well, I was thinking this during the midst of Remender's run on Venom, when Eddie was guest-starring in the book as Toxin. If I really had to choose though, my favorite status quo for Eddie was as Anti-Venom.

I think that would be too soon, before Absolute Carnage, Eddie didn't have the Venom symbiote for a few issues until AC started, so Eddie losing the Venom symbiote as a "new" status quo again? Yeah, better wait longer for that to happen...

Then again, unlike pre AC, he would have a symbiote, so it's still very possible, but it would be weird for a comic called Venom to have another symbiote around for a while lol.

Still, considering that solicits only mentions Toxin's return in a tie-in, it's possible he'll only show up there, and if that's the case, I really hope this isn't a situation where Toxin is brought back only to be killed off, that would really suck.
    Yeah IDK we'll see I guess. I am definitely intrigued to find out how they deal with all these elements, so the solicits are definitely doing their job there haha. And yeah, I 100% hope Toxin doesn't get killed off, although his niche is kinda being taken over what with Marvel pushing Venom into being a proper hero now.

Yeah, the one that lasted the longest was the black suit, and that one was gone once Venom became a villain... Makes me wonder if that one would be the main one if there was no Venom.[/QUOTE]
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Incredible Member

NICK SPENCER (W) • PATRICK GLEASON (A/C)
    Variant by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
    TWO-TONE VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL CHO
    • Peter Parker gets a new job!
    • Spidey gets a new look!
    • And Kingpin’s plans start coming together!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I am hoping this is a return to something akin to the Horizon Labs role.
    Unlike Marvel, I do not find and have never found, Peter's inability to hold a (good) steady job and decent life charming. Especially since he's actually smart AF.
    Part of why I find the other Spider characters (Kaine and Miles) much more interesting to read.
    On the new duds...we've seen so many I can't even begin to imagine what it could be. Just go back to Black.
    Guess it's to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, I think this run has definitely suffered from pacing issues throughout, which have only been made more apparent with Last Remains.
    I think the first time I kinda noticed the pacing issues was back in Hunted, then 2099 happened and the first issue made me think "Man, the pacing here was ass", and it barely improved for the rest of it, and Last Remains certainly ain't helping... It's gonna suck if every "big" story has bad pacing like this, and I wonder if it's only going to become worse.

Oh god, don't even remind me lol
    I don't think that was used for anything besides making Peter go back to the Buggle too lol.

Honestly the grad student thing was even worse than what you said. IIRC, we didn't even know Peter had accepted Connors' offer until we saw Peter working as a grad student at ESU in some random Squirrel Girl comic's solicitation in which he was guest-starring. I remember everyone having no idea whether Peter was working as a grad student or not until that Squirrel Girl comic came out, so lol...
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot that Connors made an offer that Peter didn't answer to... Didn't know about Squirrel Girl too.

I checked out the solicits and some issues, and I think the issue you're talking about is Squirrel Girl#41 vol 2:

"• …THAT IS, UNTIL NANCY WHITEHEAD AND ANOTHER ESU STUDENT BY THE NAME OF PETER PARKER ARE TAKEN HOSTAGE BY A SUPER VILLAIN INTENT ON PROVING THAT SHE’S THE SMARTEST PERSON ON THE PLANET!"

Even then, that shows solicits screwing up again, 'cause this issue happens while Peter and Spider-Man are separated, and by then Peter didn't answer yet, since it seems to happen before Peter really learned some of the the consequences of the separation, as that happens in ASM#3:

https://i.imgur.com/zaLMfCZ.jpg

And by ASM#14, he still didn't answer:

https://i.imgur.com/Do83cvS.jpg

And it's only in ASM#25 we know he actually accepted it:

https://i.imgur.com/fdiRPNe.jpg

So yeah, the offer was made in ASM#2, and only answered in#25, 23 issues later, and the annoying wait isn't even compensated since the college life shows up so rarely... Yeah, I don't even know why I kinda expected the job to make a difference thinking of it, I'll still say that it's possible for it to be relevant instead of being like college, but Spencer's patterns aren't doing him any favors, though ASM itself is evidence that his writing can improve, if writing it after Secret Empire is any hint, but I'll remain skeptical since he gives me reasons to do that lol.

Also funny that in this page from ASM#14 I sent, Connors says that Peter has weeks to answer, but ASM#3 he says Peter has only a week:

https://i.imgur.com/f639cfg.png

Then again, in ASM#3 he says it's a new quarter, in #14, he says next semester, guess Peter took that long to reply lol.

I think I've mentioned something similar plenty of times - Spencer has kinda dropped the ball (IMO) in terms of balancing both the Peter and Spider-Man aspects of the comic. He's pretty much been full tilt towards the Spider-Man aspects (which I ironically recall as a common complaint for Slott's run). I hope Peter gets some love with the Valentine's issue coming up, and then the new job and whatnot.
    Funny thing is that, Slott at first handled it a bit better with the whole Horizon Labs thing, since Peter was helping out Spidey in getting new ****, that made their lifes not be as separated, but Slott still gave Peter moments to socialize (Even if with coworkers usually, but I remember he still made time for Buggle people once in a while, even if it probably was because of Phil lol), of course, it was mostly done to help out Spider-Man, but at least Peter had something to do (Though eventually it was only Spidey pretty much), in Spencer's run, I'm pretty sure that most of Peter's socializing is done with MJ, and MJ has been out of New York for a while lol.

I definitely think that would be cool. Obviously no suit will ever replace the iconic red and blues, but if the new suit is cool I'd love to see it get alternated in there since it would make it a longer lived presence in the title rather than just being there for like 2 issues.
    Yeah, we'll have to wait and see for that, I think at first it won't show up much, to not alienate fans, but then if fans like it it'll show up more, it's kinda what happened with the black suit, 'cause it stopped showing up once Peter got rid of the symbiote, then it returned as a normal which Peter used once in a while, and then pretty much became the main suit after a while.

Wonder if Insomniac will make it a DLC costume too, since they like to do that .

[quote]Well, I was thinking this during the midst of Remender's run on Venom, when Eddie was guest-starring in the book as Toxin. If I really had to choose though, my favorite status quo for Eddie was as Anti-Venom.

I'd have to read stuff again, don't really remember Anti-Venom, but what I remember was cool.

Then again, maybe I just like the idea of Anti-Venom in general, since I did like Flash as Anti-Venom too, though it definitely shouldn't become too widespread, it hurt the symbiotes, and it'd be even worse with Anti-Venom lol.

Yeah IDK we'll see I guess. I am definitely intrigued to find out how they deal with all these elements, so the solicits are definitely doing their job there haha.
    Yeah they get it right once every blue moon lol.

And yeah, I 100% hope Toxin doesn't get killed off, although his niche is kinda being taken over what with Marvel pushing Venom into being a proper hero now.
    Hm, yeah true, biggest thing that Toxin has is that he's still nicer, and he's stronger, but it's complicated to make those two work as his only gimmicks... Think that he'll need a proper host to stand out more now instead of just the idea of him being a good enough gimmick (Then again, trying to sell only Toxin is probably why he didn't work that well to begin with), if only there was a character for that, one who, say, has a nickname that's the same name as a DC super hero's name, who was once a soldier and used a symbiote, if there was a character like that who shouldn't have been killed off lamely, that could work out...

Another idea is that, since I think maybe since he's a nicer symbiote, maybe he could have a human host who's more on the jerk side? Not sure if that was done (Probably was done with Eddie, but I don't remember the Carnage comic much), but at least it could have the relationship stand out, though, one that is still respectful, since I don't see Toxin really putting up with someone shitty.

If we're being lazy, give him to a Spider, and have both go to limbo together after a while .

Spectacular Member

I hope it’s a comeback to the B&W suit, even if with a new design.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Knull is just Marvel's version of Batlol, right?
    hydra cap is batlol and knull is a 90's spawn villain
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

my life was so fine when conway killed off christmas venom and now it's back, symbiotes were a mistake
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So if Peter is getting a new job, I'm assuming Spencer is also wrapping up the whole "Peter has to go back to get his degree" thing or is he just going to drop out again? lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So if Peter is getting a new job, I'm assuming Spencer is also wrapping up the whole "Peter has to go back to get his degree" thing or is he just going to drop out again? lol
    Or something happens with the teacher assistant job and he needs money to pay for classes. Or he just needs the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Knull is Perpetua?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think the plan is to just have him be doing both in tandem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    Or something happens with the teacher assistant job and he needs money to pay for classes. Or he just needs the extra money.
    He always needs money .

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Nah Knull is Marvel's anwser to Batlol

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, him and Superman. Their costumes are just too damn iconic.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    NICK SPENCER (W) • PATRICK GLEASON (A/C)
    Variant by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
    TWO-TONE VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL CHO
    • Peter Parker gets a new job!
    • Spidey gets a new look!
    • And Kingpin’s plans start coming together!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I am hoping this is a return to something akin to the Horizon Labs role.
    Unlike Marvel, I do not find and have never found, Peter's inability to hold a (good) steady job and decent life charming. Especially since he's actually smart AF.
    A lot of Marvel's reasoning is stupid levels of archaic.

"Mary Jane is too hot and models don't date ordinary men" except that all of Peter's girlfriends have been way too damn attractive and Peter has not been ordinary since he was bitten by a spider.

"Peter is better when he has no job or has to make ends meet." Granted in the current COVID situation, job status sucks but what about the last 60 years? It's a bullshit excuse. Someone like Peter losing his job because he isn't around because he is Spider-Man is one thing, but he always loses his jobs for the stupidest of reasons. And seriously, how many people go through about 30 jobs before they are in their mid 20's? Nothing about that trash is everyman or believable.

"Marriage and/or divorce will age Peter." What planet does these idiots live on? Are you going to tell me that no one in this forum comes from a Jewish culture where you graduate high school, you immediately either get married and have children or you go to college and then immediately get married or have children? I specifically bring up the Jewish culture because I live in Rego Park/Forest Hills Queens and this neighborhood has a large Georgian Jewish and Bukharian Jewish population. Everyone I went to school with was already married by 24 and had 2-3 kids by 26.

Swinging back over to my first argument about Mary Jane and attractive women; has no one seen these social media influencers? Some of them have men that are just simply not attractive and some of the men look better than these over the top influencers. You're telling me that Peter can't keep someone like MJ?

I've reach the point of just resigning to the idea that no matter what, Peter will always be a loser with zero progression and that nothing will satisfy my hopes of him being at least somewhat successful.