Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Do the eyes look like goggles to anyone else?

Spectacular Member

Yeah, I'm worried about that, they shouldn't mess with the mask, I hope they don't give us something like MCU black spy suit, that would be bad.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    new suit better be an edgy masterpiece or hot garbage, i will accept no compromise
    Yes, please.

Fantastic Member

Shame Flash is dead... for now, anyways. Think he would have been a good host for Toxin.

Astonishing Member

New costumes stopped being special after the black suit, and to a lesser extent the Scarlet Spider suit.

Iron-Spider has its fans too, but I never dug on it. And the Slott Big Time costumes looked okay, but were pretty forgettable in retrospect. Don’t get me started on the Parker Industries era glowing spider emblem suit.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    New costumes stopped being special after the black suit, and to a lesser extent the Scarlet Spider suit.

Iron-Spider has its fans too, but I never dug on it. And the Slott Big Time costumes looked okay, but were pretty forgettable in retrospect. Don’t get me started on the Parker Industries era glowing spider emblem suit.
    Perhaps Harry gets Peter to take his place as Kindred.

I like it looks cool
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The problem with the Big Time suits in my opinion were they were gimmicky and obviously designed to sell toys (which arguably says a lot about Slott's run).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The problem with the Big Time suits in my opinion were they were gimmicky and obviously designed to sell toys (which arguably says a lot about Slott's run).
    Funny enough, pretty much all the beloved cartoons of yesteryear were made for the purpose of selling toys, yet many of them managed to give us compelling stories and characters that could stand the test of time even today. In that light, I'm not sure "designed to sell toys" works all that well as a diss.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, pretty much all the beloved cartoons of yesteryear were made for the purpose of selling toys, yet many of them managed to give us compelling stories and characters that could stand the test of time even today. In that light, I'm not sure "designed to sell toys" works all that well as a diss.
    Secret Wars 1984 was designed to sell toys, better than everything that Slott ever wrote by a country mile.

The concept of Spider-Man getting new suits has been a thing since the Black Costume of the '80s and every writer since then has introduced new costumes and ideas:
    -- Michelinie introduced Cosmic Spider-Man (although his run was famous for bringing the red-and-blue in a big way via MacFarlane)
    -- The Clone Saga introduced the homeless Ben Reilly outfit (Scarlet Spider) and then a more full time suit for Ben (which inspired the outfit that Spider-Girl wore).
    -- Post-Clone Saga had Identity Crisis and those 4 identities Peter cooked up.
    -- JMS introduced two new suits, the "Last Stand" suit (the more sporty outfit that Spider-Man got designed for him at the tailor in Queens who also presses Doctor Doom's stuff, and which in one alt. timeline he passes in ASM#500, he wears before going down against the cops), and of course you have the Iron Spider outfit.

So Dan Slott's not exceptional, it's just that he did it far more than any writer before, and far more frequently. And Slott does like the idea of introducing costumes and doodads and so on (witness the Fantastic Four/Iron Man armor variant he co-introduced in Empyre and brought into his FF run).

We should congratulate Spencer for doing 60 issues with Peter Parker in his classic outfit. He's been more restrained.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Secret Wars 1984 was designed to sell toys, better than everything that Slott ever wrote by a country mile.

The concept of Spider-Man getting new suits has been a thing since the Black Costume of the '80s and every writer since then has introduced new costumes and ideas:
    -- Michelinie introduced Cosmic Spider-Man (although his run was famous for bringing the red-and-blue in a big way via MacFarlane)
    -- The Clone Saga introduced the homeless Ben Reilly outfit (Scarlet Spider) and then a more full time suit for Ben (which inspired the outfit that Spider-Girl wore).
    -- Post-Clone Saga had Identity Crisis and those 4 identities Peter cooked up.
    -- JMS introduced two new suits, the "Last Stand" suit (the more sporty outfit that Spider-Man got designed for him at the tailor in Queens who also presses Doctor Doom's stuff, and which in one alt. timeline he passes in ASM#500, he wears before going down against the cops), and of course you have the Iron Spider outfit.

So Dan Slott's not exceptional, it's just that he did it far more than any writer before, and far more frequently. And Slott does like the idea of introducing costumes and doodads and so on (witness the Fantastic Four/Iron Man armor variant he co-introduced in Empyre and brought into his FF run).

We should congratulate Spencer for doing 60 issues with Peter Parker in his classic outfit. He's been more restrained.
    Fair enough.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Why would we congratulate him for going the safe route and doing nothing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Why would we congratulate him for going the safe route and doing nothing?
    It’s not the safe route. Maybe 40 years ago it would be. Nowadays the “safe route” is ironically imposing gimmick after gimmick on your character, whether that’s costume changes or new powers or even legacy characters taking over.... anything to get that small sales blip that all comic companies crave like “the spice” in ‘Dune.’

the idea that keeping spider-man looking and functioning like vanilla spider-man is not safe is certainly a take
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate