Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default So does Superman really remember "everything" now?

Supposedly, according to this Death Metal story, everyone got all their old memories back. So that would mean Superman remembers all the reboots, all the origins, all the Crisis', etc. I haven't been following this but can anyone confirm if this is true?
    Assassinate Putin!

"Wow, I was really a dick to Lois in the sixties, wasn't I?"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Action 1028 also addresses this. Superman wonders why he can't remember Conner and Mr Terrific attributes it to the "Multiverse Reboot Conundrum." So I guess he doesn't remember everything.

Maybe even not the sixties, heh

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Supposedly, according to this Death Metal story, everyone got all their old memories back. So that would mean Superman remembers all the reboots, all the origins, all the Crisis', etc. I haven't been following this but can anyone confirm if this is true?
    If this is true, then doenst he remember his time as Superbro too? The good, the bad and the ugly?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The current books are set pre-Death Metal, so he wouldn't remember absolutely everything in those comics. However, in the timey-whimey craziness of the Death Metal world, everyone now remembers all their prior history, no matter how poorly written, outdated or goofy it may be.

Once all the dust settles from Death Metal's conclusion, I don't think that will necessarily be the case as upcoming writer PKJ said on Word Balloon his brain can't quite wrap itself around Morrison's "everything happened" approach to continuity. So, my guess is that Superman & Lois's current knowledge of all their past incarnations will fade a bit and be viewed as alternate timelines they were intertwined with whereas, according to PKJ, Jon will retain his memories of his truly bizarre upbringing of being born in a bottled city of an old defunct continuity, raised under a different name on the New 52 Earth in hiding, then got remerged into the Rebirth Earth's history, only to be trapped on Earth-3 for five years before returning to Earth-0 and journeying to the 31st Century for another few years to join the Legion.

Astonishing Member

Does he have the Earth-2 Superman's memories, too? "Wow, Lois, back in WWII you were hot! Do you think you could maybe sometimes wear some of those jackets with the padded shoulders again?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The current books are set pre-Death Metal, so he wouldn't remember absolutely everything in those comics. However, in the timey-whimey craziness of the Death Metal world, everyone now remembers all their prior history, no matter how poorly written, outdated or goofy it may be.

Once all the dust settles from Death Metal's conclusion, I don't think that will necessarily be the case as upcoming writer PKJ said on Word Balloon his brain can't quite wrap itself around Morrison's "everything happened" approach to continuity. So, my guess is that Superman & Lois's current knowledge of all their past incarnations will fade a bit and be viewed as alternate timelines they were intertwined with whereas, according to PKJ, Jon will retain his memories of his truly bizarre upbringing of being born in a bottled city of an old defunct continuity, raised under a different name on the New 52 Earth in hiding, then got remerged into the Rebirth Earth's history, only to be trapped on Earth-3 for five years before returning to Earth-0 and journeying to the 31st Century for another few years to join the Legion.
    You know I always seems past continuities as the universe that existed before the current one. With reboots being the end and start of a universe

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

"Hey Lois, remember when I could extinguish stars by sneezing and that time I had the head of a lion? Good times. No, I haven't been tripping out on LSD. Why do you ask?"
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

I think Superman is one of those characters where it makes sense for him to remember previous iterations. Wonder Woman too perhaps. With the Flash it kinda goes with the territory.

But I'm trying to wrap my head around someone like Batman remembering multiple past realities.

Like would he remember the good ol' days when he shot vampires to death in their sleep with silver bullets?

Or the time he basically terrorized Joe Chill into committing suicide?

I'd be shocked if any of these past memories actually take for any of the characters into their March relaunches.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't expect any of this to be mentioned again. I imagine this was done more for appeasing old fans than for any future use. Like DDC and Earth 1985.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't expect any of this to be mentioned again. I imagine this was done more for appeasing old fans than for any future use. Like DDC and Earth 1985.
    Oh, I dunno...the more I think about it, it could be a neat handwave for any flashbacks that seem to conflict with 'current' continuity.

Like, for instance, if some writer suddenly shows a flashback of, say, Superman lifting that green car from the cover of Action Comics # 1, and that supposedly couldn't have happened in current continuity, you can explain it away by saying that Clark was remembering one of his 'past lives'...