Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Which writer has been the most influential to Scarlet Witch's character?

Recently, someone made a statement in a comic book review that, "Brian Michael Bendis made Scarlet With more interesting then she's ever been in her very very lengthy ...debuted in issue #4 of the Original X-men series by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.... very storried career. And no one has made her more interesting then Brian Michael Bendis. Wanda Vision is about that run."

I wanted to pose this quesiton to you my fellow Comic Book Historians. Who has been the most influential writter for Wanda Maximoff's character?

Stan Lee?
    Jack Kirby?
    Bendis?
    James Robinson?
    Roger Stern?
    Kurt Busiek?

Others? None?

just curious
    The J-man

Incredible Member

For good or ill Bendis has probably had the biggest impact on the character. Wanda has never been the same since Disassembled. Everything that's happened to the character since then has been as a result of that story. She's also never been part of the main Avengers roster since either. After that it's probably Byrne which set up everything that Bendis was so influenced by in West Coast Avengers and arguably had looming over her ever since.

For good? Probably Stern/Robinson/Busiek.

In a negative way? Bendis.

Bendis has the biggest impact on her yes, but I don't know in what kind of planet that guy's from to say that impact made her more interesting, as all Bendis did was amplify her powers to a boringly overpowered level, and be that mentally unstable chick who essentially commited mutant genocide, then just, not show up after that for a while... But I guess being in limbo is more interesting than having more of that Disassembled nonsense happen, but neither option is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Bendis has the biggest impact on her yes, but I don't know in what kind of planet that guy's from to say that impact made her more interesting, as all Bendis did was amplify her powers to a boringly overpowered level, and be that mentally unstable chick who essentially commited mutant genocide, then just, not show up after that for a while... But I guess being in limbo is more interesting than having more of that Disassembled nonsense happen, but neither option is good.
    It gave the Mutants a boogeyman to rally against and demonize, so I guess that worked out for them in the long run...

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I wanted to pose this quesiton to you my fellow Comic Book Historians. Who has been the most influential writter for Wanda Maximoff's character?
    Steve Englehart.

Look at who she was before he started writing AVENGERS, and look at who she was afterward.

Even the people who reacted against what he did are still being influenced by what he did with the character.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Extraordinary Member

That statement seems like trolling, since the Scarlet Witch hardly even appeared under Bendis - she's in Avengers Disassembled for only a few pages, and not much more in House of M. She's what her fans call a "plot device," just someone who was chosen to create plot developments for other characters (destroying the Avengers, creating a new reality, wiping out mutants). She could be replaced by anyone in those stories. The only characterization she has there is "crazy" and even that is borrowed from John Byrne.

Anyway the most influential writer for Wanda is probably Steve Englehart, who wrote her in Avengers 105-152 and then in the second Vision & the Scarlet Witch series. He took over the character and her romance with Vision from Roy Thomas, but he made her more assertive and more powerful, and introduced the idea of her studying real magic to make the "witch" part of her name literal. Most of the writers who did well with the character, like Kurt Busiek, have been influenced by what Englehart did with her.

Update: Well, look who already posted about that while I was writing my post!

BANNED

Bendis of course but Robinson in a more positive way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That statement seems like trolling, since the Scarlet Witch hardly even appeared under Bendis - she's in Avengers Disassembled for only a few pages, and not much more in House of M. She's what her fans call a "plot device," just someone who was chosen to create plot developments for other characters (destroying the Avengers, creating a new reality, wiping out mutants). She could be replaced by anyone in those stories. The only characterization she has there is "crazy" and even that is borrowed from John Byrne.

Anyway the most influential writer for Wanda is probably Steve Englehart, who wrote her in Avengers 105-152 and then in the second Vision & the Scarlet Witch series. He took over the character and her romance with Vision from Roy Thomas, but he made her more assertive and more powerful, and introduced the idea of her studying real magic to make the "witch" part of her name literal. Most of the writers who did well with the character, like Kurt Busiek, have been influenced by what Englehart did with her.

I don't think it was trolling. The Reviewer was going over King in Black #2. Near the end of the review, he starts criticizing the dialogue calling it "Cates speech," referencing Bendis speech. After that, the Reviewer starts praising Bendis for all his noteworthy accomplishments and creations at Marvel, before ultimately criticizing and deriding his work at DC. His statement on Scarlet Witch jumped out to me, and I wanted to get some other opinions, which you all are providing
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It gave the Mutants a boogeyman to rally against and demonize, so I guess that worked out for them in the long run...
    Define "worked out", 'cause this "near extinction" era is hated by X-fans too, neither her, or mutants overall got actual benefits from this lol.

While it's possible to be a troll, there are people who think that making characters tragic means that they automatically become good, and while there are many cases of characters improving because of tragedy, Wanda is the exact opposite, but those kinds of people only think "Character became tragic, therefore, good" lol.

Of course, if it's not a troll, then guy's ignorant too, 'cause Disassembled is hardly the first time she had a big tragedy, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Define "worked out", 'cause this "near extinction" era is hated by X-fans too, neither her, or mutants overall got actual benefits from this lol.

While it's possible to be a troll, there are people who think that making characters tragic means that they automatically become good, and while there are many cases of characters improving because of tragedy, Wanda is the exact opposite, but those kinds of people only think "Character became tragic, therefore, good" lol.

Of course, if it's not a troll, then guy's ignorant too, 'cause Disassembled is hardly the first time she had a big tragedy, yeah...
    One of thw weirdest take that i had seen is that Wanda is an incompetent f@#$ up with her powers and that works better that way, wich probably comes of not caring about her before Bendis. Really a lot of the people that like Bendis were most likely indefferent to her before 2004.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I don't think it was trolling. The Reviewer was going over King in Black #2. Near the end of the review, he starts criticizing the dialogue calling it "Cates speech," referencing Bendis speech. After that, the Reviewer starts praising Bendis for all his noteworthy accomplishments and creations at Marvel, before ultimately criticizing and deriding his work at DC. His statement on Scarlet Witch jumped out to me, and I wanted to get some other opinions, which you all are providing
    I didn't think you were trolling, just that it sounded like the reviewer was trolling. Now that I've heard the context, I agree, it's not trolling, but it's still a weird thing to say about a character Bendis hardly even used at all.

Even when he brought her back for his Avengers for that one issue where she and Carol reunite she's basically almost a sobbing mess.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Steve Englehart.

Look at who she was before he started writing AVENGERS, and look at who she was afterward.

Even the people who reacted against what he did are still being influenced by what he did with the character.

kdb
    Folks. /endthread

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even when he brought her back for his Avengers for that one issue where she and Carol reunite she's basically almost a sobbing mess.
    The AvX prologue issue?
    The spider is always on the hunt.